Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm thinking of reinstalling this game and playing it again. I never modded it in the past, and I never picked up the DLC. I see there are several small balance patches like JSawyer's Ultimate Edition but also several bugfixes/crash prevention mods like YUP, NVAC and others. The computer I might use for this can probably only barely run it since I don't think I'll be doing this on my primary gaming PC, so mods that improve the graphics or whatever are probably not going to work.

What mods would you suggest if I want a mostly original experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thank you, Viva New Vegas is basically exactly what I was looking for.

Skwirl posted:

If you don't have the DLC you can't use most mods including any version of J Sawyer's mods.

Yeah that is what I am now discovering. Funny that rebuying the Ultimate edition from GOG is less than buying the DLC from Steam.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

New Vegas' story DLC is very worth playing, FYI. I can't specifically say what the best one is and which one you should skip, because everyone seems to love one and hate one but which ones differ from person to person, but they are absolutely great collectively.

If the Ultimate edition includes the Courier's Pack and stuff that's just preorder extra gear sold as DLC. You can use it or toss it, no big deal either way.

I did watch my GF play through the DLCs, though I missed most of Honest Hearts. They all seem pretty interesting. Old World Blues looks like just a ludicrous amount of content.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The DLCs are on sale on Steam, so I grabbed them. Loading an old save, I was inundated by 50 popups and the game ran much worse. So I tried to do the mod thing, but it still ran like poo poo. Then I realized I was changing the INI used by the default launcher instead of the Mod Organizer :doh:

So, after about 2 hours pulling down mods, it looks like it works. I didn't pull down every mod suggested by the Viva New Vegas page, since some of them were beautification things I don't think I care about and this isn't a gaming PC anyway. Of course, now I'm starting with 3 skill magazines and I have no idea why.

The main question is if I can tame my motion sickness long enough to play for any amount of time :barf:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Perhaps FOV modification will help?

In what way do you suggest? I know that if you do something silly like put it to 180 or have a distortion effect like Extreme G did back in the day, it's very disorienting.

I think a lot of it also has to do with framerate; higher framerates are seemingly easier to handle. Actually, is there a framerate display mod for FNV people suggest? I was surprised there wasn't a built in option.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hey, say what you will about The Legion, but at least the monorails run on time. *sound of explosion from Camp McCarran*

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

There’s a good range of Easter eggs and pop culture references included: https://levelskip.com/rpgs/Interesting-Names-Codsworth-can-Say-in-Fallout-4

And the full list is quite extensive: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Codsworth/recognized_names

Unless you have a dedicated oc donut steel name it’s pretty likely you can find something Codsworth has recorded that you’ll like.

I chose Abraham and it wasn't on the list. But Abrams and Aaliyah are. :argh:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

God the writing in Fallout 4 is just so, so bad. There are occasional sparks of creativity, but overall it's just such a wet noodle.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Youremother posted:

I actually like the Lyons' Pride conceptually, and I think the Brotherhood can work as a "good guy" group, but Bethesda's godawful writing ruined any potential they had for interesting faction play. Having Lyons be an idealist willing to break away from the Brotherhood's extreme insularity in exchange for paternalistic tyranny is a good potential hook but they're just The Mandatory Good Guys written by people more invested in Fallout aesthetics than actual political commentary.

KittyEmpress posted:

If fallout 3 BoS was mid schism instead of post schism it would have probably been better received. Let lyons be doing his stuff for you to witness, not having done it years before.

Instead of the good vs evil choice being helping the BoS or helping the enclave, change the story so you can either join Lyons pride and reform the BoS to use their tech for the good of man, or earn the right to be called paladin and join the less caring BoS to arm and armor yourself.

These are interesting ideas. You could even just make the "Outcast" faction bigger and more important. Make it a bigger ideological scrap between the two BOS factions and then drop the Enclave into the room and see how that changes things. Also, instead of just seeing the occasional roving patrol, make it that these factions control certain settlements, and maybe that can change when the Enclave comes in. The outcasts probably wouldn't bother controlling any settlements unless they just murdered all the raiders or whoever in them, but you can make Lyons morally ambiguous by having one or two settlements subjugated to their 'protection' even if they claim noble intentions. If they insisted on making them part of the critical path, then they needed to make their presence be felt.

There are tons of ways that FO3's BOS' face-turn could have been made better, even considering that it was a cynical ploy to appeal to fans.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

The only fun way to play Lonesome Road is to treat Ulysses like a crazy person who doesn't know what he's talking about and has the wrong Courier. It is also one of the only things in the game that makes me think back on the old 'Shandification of Fallout' video in a bad way; you run into a group of Deathclaws living alone on top of an abandoned highway overpass just waiting for a Courier to wander through and try to kill and my brain goes 'but... what do they eat?'

Thanks for name dropping that video. I hadn't come across it before. Here is a link to a mirror if anyone, like me, hadn't seen it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3GDcMXBFI

Seeing these arguments, I can imagine the cinematic appreciators finding their in-universe detractions and say "Well, these farms couldn't possibly feed everyone in in that settlement." I recall seeing some chatter about something similar for The Return of the Obra Dinn where a ship that big could not be operated by a crew of that size. (Obra Dinn is phenomenal by the way.) I think this points to a distinction: on a scale of simulationism we can have setpiece games at one end where nothing is explained or matters and simulationist games at the other where they endeavor to leave not questions unanswered. In the middle, we have degrees of immersive games of various stripes. Mario Odyssey is a setpiece game while Microsoft Flight Simulator might be the opposite, and New Vegas is somewhere in between.

For an immersive game, these types of background questions will be asked. They should endeavor to answer a reasonable number of these questions in their text. These answers need to be satisfactory and non-contradictory, but they do not necessarily need to hold up to the most rigorous scrutiny, just a cursory examination.

"What do they eat?"
"Well, here's a farm."
"The farm is far too small and the salinity of the Nevada earth means..."
"Shut the gently caress up, it's a video game, not a textbook."

By contrast, if you ask, "What do they eat?" to New Donk City, the proper response is "Who loving cares?" The game doesn't require immersion; it is a series of setpieces for a exploration and platforming challenges. On the other hand, if you ask an incredibly nuanced question about ailerons in MS Flight Sim, you can travel much deeper before that response is warranted.

I dunno what I am getting at here. Just spitballing. This has all probably been said before, and I'm the last one to cross the finish line.

Finally: oh god, is this why there's so much tiresome settlement building in Fallout 4?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I didn't finish 4, but that's because the main plot suuuuuuccckkks and the console-ification of dialog suuuuuuccckkks even worse. On the positive side, I liked the combat well enough and several side quests were memorable, although it eventually made me say "Everyone Is Immortal" because they continue to come up with different ways to make people have lived extremely long times for whatever reason. Also, power armor felt adequately heavyweight and powerful, though I wish the game dangled it in front of you a few times instead of just giving it to you in the first hour as though they're afraid you'll get bored, which of course was correct.

Every time I think about 4, I think about one conversation you have with Deacon. He talks about disagreements in the railroad:

quote:

Everyone wants to liberate the Gen 3s. The human looking synths. Some of the synths in the Railroad, like Glory, think we should help earlier models, too. But Gen 1s are basically the same as, well, a Protectron. So the line gets muddy. Do we defend AI rights? Terminals? Hell, turrets?
Like, gently caress, that is so much more interesting than anything else I ever recall coming across in the entire squalid empty game. It's dialog about an idea. The Voight-Kampf test quest line was the next closest, and I think there might be a Brotherhood quest that was in the same vein, but I never did it because gently caress the Brotherhood.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I take No Gods, No Masters seriously. Giving the Courier sole control over an army of unstoppable killer robots completely destroys the anarchist dream. You're just a new House at that point.

But don't you understand? Things would be different if everyone listened to you!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

It’s Dave Foley. I’d think Yes Man was being sarcastic and friendly even as he kicked me off the dam.

Check out this security camera footage of Dave Foley that I think proves why this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The endings do sort of map onto the endings of Deus Ex:

NCR: Illuminati
Caesar: Tong
Yes Man: Helios
House: mod the game so you can side with Bob Page I guess?

Actually, just looked it up and that was originally going to be one of the endings, but got cut for time.

See? Even more reasons why New Vegas is great; it's also secretly Deus Ex. That's value right there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Chamale posted:

Melee: 1 check, 0 without DLC. Highest is 75.

What on earth is the one Melee skill check?

I am also surprised there are only 9 Survival checks, but I never specced into it in any of my playthroughs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

watho posted:

in this house we stan zoë bell :hai:

:hai: I see people occasionally criticize the appearance of the Kiwi khan but there have also been accented characters like Loxley (whose accent is apparently a put-on) and Colin Moriarty and maybe others I can't think of. Sure, there are plenty with accents like Col. Autumn, Moira, and Raul but those are accents that they could much more easily theoretically have traveled from as opposed to being an ocean away.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

JESawyer wants us all to understand that people with training in the humanities and historical theory are innately predisposed toward evil.

:hmmyes: Checks out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I've never understood people saying "Bethesda doesn't gt the BoS" based on 3. The entire point is that Lyons went rogue and did a bunch of poo poo the BoS would not approve of, hence the Outcasts.

Yeah, it's a shame because it could have been a reasonably interesting story where a man is changed by a sudden attack of conscience and what that means, but it was clearly just an excuse to let you hang out with the BoS who are The Cool and Good Guys.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

but....you also hang out with the BoS in the first game? they literally help you against the Master's Army in most iterations of the ending, and are very cool and good guys that give you cool armor and cool implants and just let you have a rocking time with them. did fallout 1 also miss the point of fallout 1??

I didn't claim anything was missing the point of anything. What I mean is that Bethesda's story sucked but some of the things people often complain about in hindsight could have actually been decent with a bit of a punch-up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

All I remember about Hegel from my bachelor's degree was being told basically "Yeah, this guy thought he was going to 'finish philosophy' and ended up influencing Nietzsche, Marx and Freud. What a chump."

Also, in my experience, it feels like Hegel does seem to get mentioned by internet fascists a lot, so this may have been prophetic or in line with some existing tactic I'm unfamiliar with. I mean, if I wanted to misrepresent what a smart guy philosopher was saying, I'd choose Hegel. I'm pretty sure most people don't know him, unlike Plato or Decartes, he's not known for being associated with Nazis, unlike Heidegger, and he helpfully wrote notably incomprehensible prose so that can protect your proposals from casual interrogation.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Outside of any underlying imperialist messaging (which I am not equipped to interrogate, but not dismissing) I think it's fine for the game to have some small factions where there are no interesting non-combat interactions because sometimes the other party simply has zero interest in it. In NV, you can talk to multiple types of other raiders in the game, like the NCR. It's better than the alternative in Fallout 4 where essentially no small factions have much of anything interesting going for them (the two with Atom in the name come closest to my memory), and honestly most of the large factions don't either.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

dolphinbomb posted:

they're going to have Liberty Prime in the show because bethesda can't fuckin help themselves

I didn't play through the Fallout 4 BOS storyline, and I never finished the story because I thought it as stupid that I couldn't get the Minuteman and Railroad to see eye to eye. When I found out that of all things, Liberty Prime makes a reappearance, I was like "Of course they (the writers) loving did that."

One of the good things in Fallout 3 that has withstood both the death of the initial hype and the rising tide of cynicism, mostly because it's so... camp? If that's the word. I feel people still like Liberty Prime, the 'character' of the xenophobic Robby The Robot the size of Godzilla. It's one-note and surface level but it's enjoyable. And sure, in the multiversal media landscape it may seem quaint, but I accept it's typically fun to occasionally meet characters from old games. Apparently Sierra from 3 appears in Nuka World, which makes perfect sense. But Liberty Prime's not a character that could have voluntarily walked to Boston so it raises so, SO many questions about the logistical difficulty and why they need this specific scientist and what tactical purpose was it supposed to serve and baaaaarrrrrrrfffff.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

This person has put out some bangers but this is :perfect:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

If we're talking pack animals: Since it's possible to reprogram the Securitrons (as Yes Man demonstrates is possible) then they might make a sensible companion to carry poo poo. They're way, way faster than a Securitron and don't tire.

As I typed that up I realized I'm literally describing Ada in Fallout 4, and I customized her for carry weight and gave up on her after 10 seconds.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

complete goody-two-shoes faction in the Railroad (at least insofar as I remember; it's been a while) and a Developer Approved Default Waifu™ in Piper, or at least that was how she came off to me.

I actually got those impressions except for the Minutemen and Curie. Very inoffensive, very shallow, unopposably virtuous. Not that either of your examples was all that grey either.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

cool power armor!

:hmmyes:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

As a card carrying BOS hater, I don't think the FO3 good-guy-ification of the BOS is necessarily a bad thing. There just need to be two things:

A: The change is within the narrative and for external reasons like trying to soften a faction's edges for fandom/market reasons.
B: The new stories told are good.

I think we give A a checkmark because Lyons explains himself and the Outcasts exist (even if their role is smaller than the Gunners in FO4) but especially in hindsight, B doesn't pass because the Brotherhood in FO3 is just so blaaaah.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Made me think of this.

steinrokkan posted:

I think you all know that I've always felt the nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I said I had a theoretical degree in physics.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I have no issue with the broad concept of the brotherhood in fo4, but I dislike how they are the omnipresent giant army, to the point where you can't step outside without tripping over one of their vertibirds, and also their super public presence and declaration to the Commonwealth of their mission to bring peace and order etc. They should be like a symmetrical counterpoint to the railroad, a relatively small force of operatives on a mission against the institute and coldly indifferent to the affairs of the Commonwealth outside of that, except that their mission is the mirror opposite of the railroad. That way all the factions would also be on a similar footing as vulnerable forces with only a limited presence in the world.

Chamale posted:

it creates the impression that the Prydwen is a clown car stuffed with hundreds of aircraft.

For FO4, something I have often wondered would have been more satisfying if the "tech level" in the game world changed and increased over time. Pipe pistols and laser muskets were kinda cool but there was no real reason to use them because regular pre-war weapons exist everywhere and are for the most part superior. Thematically it could be what's left of the Minutemen trying to fend off the raider factions with improvised weapons against the Gunners and Triggermen who have come across pre-war caches guns. The Institute is operating in secret so they don't brandish much weaponry, or maybe that weaponry self-destructs like X-Com. Then the Brotherhood shows up with a huge army specifically to steal The Institute's stuff (while claiming it's to cleanse the Super Mutants), and use their technological prowess to jam some signals and make the Institute weapons collectable for the first time. The Institute responds with overwhelming amounts of force, and now the Commonwealth is awash with shittons of high tech weaponry and power armor, which amps up all the conflicts in a scavenging arms race.

There are a few reasons that this might now work, such as it being an exploration game where you would typically gate content by pure distance or difficulty which is counter to a "tech level" which is more of an entire overlay over the map, and the idea that The Commonwealth specifically is not awash with weapons is hard to connect with the themes of pre-war America being in a state of total war. But the idea has kept hold of me once I started to realize I was really unsatisfied with FO4 from a narrative perspective.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The slave collar quest bit a little silly, though I do appreciate the ability to just tattle to the ranger. Also, overall it's probably better if there's a way to access the BOS quests without needing Veronica as your in. This requires some form of conceit to make it remotely plausible. As weird as what they did was, it'd be even weirder if they just let you waltz in.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I was wondering recently: why don't the legion use shields in New Vegas? My guess it it's as simple as "Shields are stupid in a world with rifles for multiple reasons. Your off hand is better used for a two-handed firearm and those shields won't stop a bullet anyway." But at the same point, if Oblivion was Gamebryo, then could there have been shields in F:NV even if it was a bit silly and bad?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I think it's interesting to have 'play' be a concept in your fictional world, and for that to be informed based on what is available. There are probably shittons of destroyed decks of cards around New Vegas, mostly incomplete. Since you can't just play Solitare with them, some traders designed a game around using them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

The power armor is bugging me too because if you look closely it's the same identical CG model just copied and pasted.

Wait, is the power armor CG as opposed to a practical effect? Sorry if this is old news. I haven't looked at any trailers or anything, because I assumed it was going to suck massive amounts of poo poo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

My second playthrough was going to be an evil explosives/melee woman to reverse the good guy guns build in my first run, but I gave up super early because using explosives was so annoying. Turns out it's way easier with VATS but I almost never used it in my first playthrough so I didn't realize that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you were given the reins to make a Fallout game what would you do for the main story/player character? You can do something brand new and original,no need for a vault opening or my son!/father!

You know how MMOs have different intro areas depending on certain character choices, sometimes ones that you simply won't return to or will be returned to as instances later? I'd like to offer players enough freedom to pick an origin where their introductory experience is heavily informed by that. If we say it's the Commonwealth (simply because I recall more locations for that one), you could have origins of Diamond City Local, Quincy Refugee, or even a transplant from Far Harbor, The Capital Wasteland, The Pitt. This isn't meant to be a 'best-of greatest-hits' of references, and could easily include completely new locations like The Loathsome Rhode or Vermon.

The one tiny downside I don't like about New Vegas, still remaining with the refreshed appreciation that it's gained over the years is: "You are a courier." Obviously, the story completely requires that and the story is stronger for it, but if I want to play a wasteland doctor or smuggler or raider, that slightly inhibits that freedom.

Honestly, it could even inform a traveling 'road trip' game where the player starts in one of those places, in the interim has wandered, and then ends up going through these some of these locations over the course of the game. It'd be less sandboxy that way, of course.