Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Because I won't be able to get any new games till December or so, I started Fallout 3 GotY on the 360 which I once bought on a whim, after having spent numerous hours in New Vegas. I'll admit that I have lurked at the Codex and NMA before F3 was released, so my views are likely a bit skewed to being negative about it.

Nonetheless, I will admit that I am having a good time exploring the Capital Wasteland. There are tons of locations to explore, the game is very open in allowing you to simply walk into one direction and see all the new things you can discover, and I admit that I'm starting to take a shine to that. The DLC that shipped with the GotY edition sound interesting with each adding something different to the setting. Only gone through Anchorage so far, which wasn't as bad as I heard. A quick glimpse in pre-war Fallout was neat, and I actually enjoyed just having a good ol' simple shooter for a few hours. The little mechanic with putting a team together was a nice touch as well.

The biggest problem that I generally have is when people start talking, which for a RPG is a big downer. The whole "You can make a difference, you can save the wasteland" theme that seems to be running through the game feels very off from the other games. Also, after playing through New Vegas which had a setting that makes sense, it feels pretty weird to go through a setting filled with cool, random and wacky places for people to live.

One bit I've been wondering about with F3: After completing Anchorage, I got the Chinese Stealth Armour and the Gauss Rifle. I love the new look of the stealth armour, as well as the cloaking option, and the Gauss Rifle goes together pretty well with my energy-weapons PC, but I gotta ask: Did I just win the game? Every encounter basically boils down to me sniping everyone I see in VATS. I know that I could just as easily equip different gear to turn the game into a challenge, but are there any downsides to these weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Interesting tidbit from JE Sawyer's formspring that might answer some questions regarding the independent ending...

Sawyer posted:

Why'd you imply that Yes Man was going to take over in the Independent ending? After going to all the work to take Vegas over myself it was kind of a bummer to learn Dave Foley was going to take it all away.

That's not the implication.

Edit: Also, all the discussions about the Legion, the White Legs, the whole situation in the Mojave... I'm loving just reading about it.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 11, 2011

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Had a question about the "No Gods, No Masters" final battle.

In my first playthrough, I started out as a NCR supporter, but the more I started to learn about them, the more I realized I didn't want them to rule the Mojave either. Nor the Legion. House might've been an option if I hadn't killed him while doing the NCR quests(oops), so Yes-Man was going to have to do. During the Battle of Hoover Dam, the NCR pretty much ignored my character and his robo-buddies, and I was able to keep up the charade through till the end of the battle. Really liked that.

I'm just curious, what happens in the final battle if you're hated by the NCR and have a positiverelation with the Legion? Are you attacked by both factions, or will you actually be able to waltz past/fight besides all the Legion soldiers and attack Lanius without any resistance, or is it pretty much NCR/Legion vs. the Courier?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just Dogmeat and one other companion, from what I remember.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
This might be an interesting read: An interview/post-mortem with Chris Avellone about Fallout: New Vegas and its DLC.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Pope Guilty posted:

I've done Old World Blues and Honest Hearts, and at the end of Honest Hearts, my reaction was "...huh?" It felt like I finished it almost as soon as I got there.
Any chance you killed a certain dude at the start, a bunch of 'mission failed' messages popped up, and you were told to fetch a map?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

the medical clinic is actually outside of new vegas, near the Crimson Caravan camp, IIRC. Also, there are several different ways to get into the strip, including:

• having enough money to pass the credit check
  • getting a fake passport from a merchant
  • having Boone in your party (or using NCR faction armor) and using the Monorail from McCarran Airport
  • having high science and fooling the securitron at the gate
  • blowing the securitrons up

There's also...

• Getting a favour from the King, he'll get you a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Sock The Great posted:

Having seen each ending, the Courier / Yes Man seem to be the greatest threat to New Vegas. Place goes straight to hell with them in charge.
I'll be honest, that's actually something that really appealled to me in my first playthrough. Although I do appreciate the post-post-apocalyptic setting that Fallout has become, a part of me yearns back for the original Fallout where the entire world is just a big, dangerous wasteland without much civilization. After my first playthrough, both the NCR and Legion got a bloody nose, and New Vegas basically went to hell... and I was okay with that. The Wasteland needs a hero to clean up the mess that the Courier made.

Of course, my next playthrough was as a NCR laser-toting superhero with his funny Mexican ghoul side-kick to make up for it.

I saw the Omni treadmill kickstarter video showcased New Vegas as one of the games, and I have to admit that the idea of actually being able to walk around in the New Vegas setting with that piece of technology and an Oculus Rift sounds incredible. I'd love to try that without using fast-travel at all.