Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
That's Bethesda's writing for you. Be thankful Fallout 3's not an Elder Scrolls game, because they give even less of a poo poo about dialogue in that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Naky posted:

That's pretty harsh on Bethesda. They're good at what they do and what they do is create giant open world environments with lots of different dungeons and content to explore. It doesn't always make sense but they're more about the now-experience and less about the overall. I'll still buy a Bethesda FO4 at full price because it'll still be fun in its own way and also hope that the support lets them work with Obsidian again too.

The problem is that lots of content in a big world means little when the core experience isn't compelling. Maybe some people are satisfied going through samey looking dungeons over and over again for a 100 hours killing enemies that weren't a threat 50 hours ago to kill a dude or find a trinket to complete a quest that you have no emotional investment in to get a leveled reward, but it gets old fast for most people I would wager. I mean, if the combat is shallow and not a challenge, if the writing barely sounds human, if the quests are all designed in a bog-standard go here and find/kill this fashion, then what worth does so much content really have?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Roman posted:

Every MMO ever proves you wrong.

Just saying people who require a great story in their games are the minority. Most video games, including the classics, could be described as "the same bullshit over and over with a lovely story."

Oh cool that's good to hear, because I really emphasized the importance of story in that post.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So is there any point to sparing the Nightkin in the test site basement? Seems like a pain in the rear end and not worth it at all.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I've run into at least a couple weather mods that add damaging/vision-obscuring/radiation storms, it's definitely technically possible

And really when you get right down to it the nightkin are like one of the least offensive groups you run into, they just want their fix and aren't even torturing people for fun along the way. What I could never get my head around is apparently some people actually let the BoS live on non-gimmick playthroughs, even after that bomb collar stunt.

The best case scenario for Davison's group is that you point the murderous roving band of schizophrenic blue monster men in another direction, probably with Harland's corpse in tow, so while they may not deliberately be hurting people, going through the trouble of getting them out alive does very few people any good.

And I imagine a number of people just had Veronica open the bunker, which means the full dickish might of the Brotherhood isn't showcased.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Is it nighttime?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Argali posted:

I dunno, did you ever read all the Survivalist's terminal entries in Honest Hearts? That part where he talks about the Vault refugees resorting to cannibalism was pretty chilling, and you could see how common it probably was.

(By the way the Survivalist storyline in HH was one of my favorite parts of any Fallout games.)

They were also turning into monster plant men.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Maybe after DAII, but didn't ME2 sell wildly better than ME1?

All the news stories I read after ME2 came out described its sales in various shades of disappointment. Whether that was in relation to delusional EA projections or to the first one's success I have no idea.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Took out Vulpes in Nipton this time, which I hadn’t don’t before. It was pretty easy once I jumped over to the roof of a nearby building and set up with my cowboy repeater. That repeater then pinged right off the Assassin death squad’s armor. Those guys are mean! But the grenade rifle fixed them.

My biggest problem right now is that even after the patches and stability mods the game still crashes like a champ on Win10. Should I be running it with compatibility mode on? It’s that gross kind of crash where it locks the system and I have to restart.

Sounds like the anti stutter mod, the stutter mod is trash on 10, but you can edit the config to potentially fix it. Here's the changes I made that I took from the mod page's discussion posts:

Set iDefaultMode to 3 under CriticalSections, ensure that bUseOverrides is 1 under the aforementioned section, finally delete "Spin = 6000" under the 3rd CriticalSection of the OverrideList. If it doesn't work make sure that the settings under Master are as follows:

bManageFPS = 1
bHookCriticalSections = 1
bHookLightCriticalSections = 0
bHookHashtables = 1
bReplaceHeap = 1
bReplaceGetTickCount = 1
bLogToConsole = 0
bFastExit = 1
bFlushLog = 1
iSchedulingResolution = 1
bReplaceRandom = 1
bExperimentalStuff = 0
iMainHookPoint = 1

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Not sure that's the case, I was originally super impressed with FO3 and recommended it to everybody. Then, after buying NV, I saw all the marks it missed and completely turned on it. On the other hand, it was my first Bethesda game, so I was a naive optimist going in.

I bought Fallout 3 multiple times and loved the original games when I played them in anticipation of 3's release.

Then I got Oblivion because if I liked Fallout 3 obviously I must at least be able to enjoy that, and...yeah...kind of shone a light on a great many things for me.

At least in 3 you can't level yourself in such a way that the game becomes 2x more difficult so at least it still has that going for it

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I just finished a replay and I forgot how bad the Wheel of Fortune quest was. Meeting a bunch of rando fucks in an irradiated basement who are obviously going to betray you, going back to Nipton for fetch quest bs, and then pixel hunting for garbage in two buildings just for the guy to go Okay I Betray You Now. There are quests that begin and end in a single conversation that felt more substantive than that

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Running a melee build in F4 and a random raider dropped a Relentless Super Sledge while I had 6 perk points stacked up, so I guess I'm a maxed luck build now

Also reminded of how annoying the perk system can be when you have to basically invest 20-30 levels in perk taxes just to get stuff like basic settlement functionality

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

oh jay posted:

I generally like Nerbit's videos, but Mittensquad does nothing for me. I'll click on a video that looks like it has an interesting concept, and then get turned off by the fact that they have 2 dozen completely unrelated mods running as well.

I watched all of mittensquad's videos a couple weeks ago I'm pretty sure he could probably just splice together random footage from all his challenges and call it a new video and his fanbase wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
What I find most offensive in all this is not any of the decanonizing/retcons or whatever but the weirdo nutjubs in the subreddits going apeshit over a very simple chalk drawn timeline. You'd think something saying "The Fall of X (date xxxx)" and an arrow pointing to a giant explosion would be explicit enough for the average Bethesda fan and yet here we are

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Don't bother, the end of his quest is one of the stupidest most unsatisfying things in the series

Lesser writers would've made the guy already dead or a gibbering shell of his former self, following their sham "logic" that they worship. Not Bethesda. They made him not change at all in 200+ years of mutating solitude and had Nick be completely right in following his insane and pointless revenge quest tangent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So the survivors were too embarrassed to date the nuke, the library book from the credits coincidentally was last taken out in 2276, and the city had "fallen" so hard that it was still somehow a beacon of freedom for the wife and like Gears of War 2 was simply too good to be allowed to exist? Yeah that all sounds on brand for Bethesda