Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So does anyone know why New Vegas crashes the moment I press 'Play Game' in the launcher? One day it was working perfectly, the next - after I completed it with the Mr House ending - it wasn't. I've reinstalled twice and have no mods, so this is really annoying. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, about six times in fact - with varying amounts of the DLC data files enabled. It's a bizarre thing and the official forums are just telling me my system isn't suitable for the game, despite running it up on max settings up until this point. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xik posted:

I have no idea why this happens, but when it crashes try verifying the game cache in Steam and then trying again a couple times and repeat.

Done repeatedly. Still nothing. Windows is telling me it's an issue with NVegas'exe but I've replaced that file umpteen times. It's just...argh. If there was something I'd done to the game I could understand why, but I haven't so I can't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

Sounds like the only thing left to do is a clean install. Just copy your saves into a new folder, delete it from steam and then delete the folder that held the save-games to reset the ini file when you redownload it and put the save-games back in the appropriate folder. Assuming you don't wanna play with mod settings by de-checking them and removing them from your data folder and put them in one-by-one if it works with no mods on.

This was one of the first things I did and nothing. Think I might just give up on it, this poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can access any DLC from the very start of the game, though they're balanced around mid-level characters. There's nothing in the main storyline that opens them up, nor is anything beyond your own curiosity the driving force behind getting to the DLC in the first place.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Absolutely none of the solutions work. I appreciate the help guys, but this is fruitless. :(

quote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FalloutNV.exe
Application Version: 1.4.0.525
Application Timestamp: 4e0d50ed
Fault Module Name: FalloutNV.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.4.0.525
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e0d50ed
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0067c1d2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This is the error I'm getting. Annoyingly people on the official forum have had the same problem and 'solved' it, but the irritating fucks don't post how and move on afterwards. Goddammit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't. :saddowns:

gently caress sake. Trying one more complete reinstall, going to purge goddamn everything, and then give it one final shot. If not I'm just giving up. I have defended you in other threads Obsidian, why betray your greatest champion. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly though, did anyone think Joshua was dead? If the plot went in that direction I think the player would have felt as if it was fairly condescending.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pistol build with Luck and Charisma pumped. You're not particularly skilled, instead cruising through life on wild blindfire and luxury gained through being in the right place at the right time. :black101:

This also makes you look like a massive dick given you're breezing through life so smoothly while the rest of the Mojave suffers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It works, it works, it works. I had to delete everything but i-...poo poo, I misplaced my save file and got rid of those too. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

I'm starting to think the save games were corrupting your game. So you might have needed to start over anyway.

Yeah, looking back that seems the most likely cause - the issues did start the moment I completed it after all. Nonetheless, gives me an excuse to go all out on this new one and do everything before commiting to my ending.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was sad when I learned you couldn't upload yourself into a Securiton.

Or a Liberty Prime. :black101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Prior to the :siren: ROBUST NETWORK OF INFORMANTS :siren: how long can I play both NCR and Legion against each other without making one side hostile?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

If you're tired of making fun of people who misunderstand the Confirmed Bachelor trait, guess who just found out for the first time that you can fire more than once in VATS? :doh:

Don't worry, it was only when I played Oblivion I suddenly realised you can assign weapons and items to quickslots in New Vegas. I went through an entire hardcore run constantly ducking into my inventory to change weapon or heal.

:negative:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Set aside an hour or so if you're going to speak with the first bunch of NPCs. Exhausting their dialogue options is fun but good god, they pile it on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Dead money would have been more fun if there weren't so many loving bear traps that blend in with the brown and purple environment all over the drat place. It makes the Light Step perk almost mandatory. :argh:

Foreshadowing Lonesome Road. :shepface:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So in my 'do everything and destabilise the gently caress out of both factions' run, with Gannon can you do his quest and then sell him to Caesar? I want to squeeze out as much content as possible this run. All the DLC, all the time in the world before Saint's Row 3. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

Getting to and from the belltower was one of the scariest, intense scenes in all of Fallout for me.

"Well I'm sure he's just exaggerating to put me on ed-

:stare:"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Finally decided on my 'true' character.

4 She's more a cardio gal you know?
6 Perhaps her eyesight makes up for it?
4 Even though she's a bit frail and
3 Can't really muster up a huge amount of charisma...
6 Isn't she pretty smart?
9 And Jesus, look at the reflexes on her.
8 Lady Luck's not overlooked Jane either.

:shepface:

Sneaky, Guns, and stealing all your stuff. Not a monster - no point trying to plunder and nick from a wasteland devoid of life - she will still murder you in your sleep if the need arises. Going to avoid Speech and Barter this time around because A.) I'm RPfagging it and she has the social skills of a kitten, and B.) I've exhausted all the diplomatic options on my House run. Hopefully haven't gimped her too badly. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Berk Berkly posted:

Looks perfectly fine to me. Looks like a Sniper-sneakattack/crit based gun build.

I can't stop using Guns. I want to make a melee or unarmed build at some point but they seem so clumsy and lack finesse. :qq:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I am genuinely afraid of the toaster in OWB.

Wait until you activate the biological unit. Yeah...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

boo_radley posted:

:whatup: I know you got sweet, sweet seeds for me, baby. Don't hold back now.

I need an adult. :gonk:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yet a number of them did resist, making his comment about leaving if they'd fought back utter horseshit. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Hahahaha, can you loving believe Obsidian only let us decide the fate of the Mojave? loving amateurs only had one independent path!"

:shepface:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ripped my way through the Courier's Mile, wondering why the hell y'all were being such pussies. I was putting everything down with a few shots of my trusty point four-five gun.

:smug:

Then I rummaged through the options to increase the difficulty. It was on Very Easy.

:negative:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think you guys realise how much better Brahmin meat tastes compared to the other poo poo laying around. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The best (worst) thing is killing everyone in Hidden Valley then trying to recruit/talk to Veronica.

:smith:

"So you're intent on fighting the Brotherhood. Guess you better make me a target, too."

"Gladly."

:smug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ugh, I can't play in anything but Hardcore mode. Normal seems so tame. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CommanderCoffee posted:

No main quest demands you kill Caesar, nor does any sidequest or unmarked quest. Just stroll in and slot the bastard.

There's one side quest that can get a much different result though, namely telling the head of the Rangers you killed Caesar will persuade him to drop his acts of misinformation against the NCR, and he won't attempt to sabotage the dam at the end of the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if Caesar's dead and you go the Legion route Lanius pretty much fucks the entire Mojave because he's hellbent on killing everyone and everything. Vegas burns, the Followers are slaughtered, etc. He's not a subtle man.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Strudel Man posted:

Which is weird, because he sounds a lot more subtle in your conversation with him. People talk about him like he's a ravening beast, and then he's fairly intelligent when you speak to him, and then in the ending slides he's a ravening beast again. Odd.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean he's got much in the way of common sense, though. The conversation path makes him realise what sort of long term effects he would have on the Legion as a whole - burning everything absolutely screws your economy and sustainability. If he wins against the NCR, and with no Caesar holding his leash, he's probably too caught up in the :black101: GLORY OF VICTORY :black101: to take much notice of logistical matters until he's calmed down.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've just noticed Strudel Man's tag. I imagine it in Caesar's voice and :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I hear about Mike and Ralph's one more time... :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hungry? Thirsty? Horny? :q:

More than anyone I hate you. You, personally.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How far advanced is the NCR inside its core cities anyway? I've heard it compared to our real world state of living, but no idea where people are getting the info from.

Wolfsheim posted:

You want someone dead? I mean really dead?

:golfclap:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, Yes Man.

quote:

Then what is the implication? That seems to be what everyone reads into it-- Yes Man reprogramming himself to be more 'assertive' is kind of ominous!

That he will not just roll over for the next person to walk up to him in the Courier's absence. I.e. he will become a somewhat-independent steward instead of a powerful tool for any random person to use for nefarious purposes.

:colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

boo_radley posted:

So I'm tooling around in the Sorrow's camp. The Burned Man sprints up to me and says

Even in screenshots I hear his voice. Oh Joshua. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Galewolf posted:

I'd settle for an eye shot or three too.

"My mother got the eggs from a Deathclaw she kept in the shed. Then a stranger came along and shot it in the eye. :saddowns:"

vvv same here. Absolutely amazing how much of the original games came flooding back just from a stray comment here and there. Think my favourite was the entirety of New Reno coming to me when the singer guy mentioned off-handedly how he'd ploughed someone's daughter. Obsidian. :allears:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 15, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's pretty much New Vegas: GENRE CHANGE HO, which is what throws people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

randombattle posted:

Allow me to help you with that.

Ahahaha. This reminds me of the brilliant mod for Call of Pripyat, 'Put Your Goddamn Helmet On, Sir'. It did nothing but add a helmet to your character skin during cutscenes. :haw: