Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just finished Dead Money and thought it was super cool. I loved basically everything about it. The characters were all really great and well-written and the oppressive atmosphere ended up being a lot more fun than I thought it would. And the other DLCs are really supposed to be even better? Man I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
There are songs in this game?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Nothing to do with New Vegas but I saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun and had to share it. Not only does Interplay apparently still exist, but they just won the rights from Bethesda to create a Fallout MMO: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/26/bethesda-barred-from-barring-fallout-mmo/

Interplay? MMO? What??

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
According to a link in the article its been underway since 2006.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

Here is what I need for the OP:

Three most popular skills to tag at character creation.
Speech, Science, Repair/Lockpick

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

This is what I was going to say personally, though more repair than lockpick. Because it seems like to me most doors can be unlocked with hacked terminals, which science covers.
There's a lot of little random lockers and safes and stuff that you can only do with lockpick. I guess the major stuff you can do with either, but it's fun to find extra loot. When I look at my game stats, I have way more uses of lockpick than science, and I tagged both.

I don't know if you need to have a "Tag these 3 skills exactly" section but you could mention that by far the most popular combos include Speech, Science, Lockpick, Repair, or a weapon skill. Which of those they want to focus on is personal preference.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 28, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I thought Dead Money was just fantastic. I haven't played the other DLCs yet but its been the best part of New Vegas for me so far. I really enjoyed the oppressive environment and all the little things you had to watch out for like traps and radios, it created a really consistently tense atmosphere when you know you need to hurry because your health is dropping but need to scrounge around for resources and take time doing it since death is around every corner. I dunno if I'd play a whole game like that but the few hours in the Villa were a great change of pace.

The characters were also fantastic and very well written. Communicating with Christine was really innovative and well done, like nothing I'd ever seen in a video game. I think they missed an opportunity though, it would have been cooler if you had to actually think a bit and figure out what she was trying to say the whole time instead of popping some mentats beforehand and choosing the win button. I don't really get how she got her voice back though. I also loved God, his intro was such a great WTF moment and his character was really very chilling. Another video game first in that I don't think I've ever seen multiple personality disorder not played for laughs but treated as both pathetic and deadly serious. Domino was quite good on his own but not as impressive as the originality of Christine and Dog.

All in all I really liked it, everything about it, I even thought the moral running throughout was well done. The writing was really just characteristically Avellone great. I can't wait to play the other DLCs which are supposedly even better.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 28, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Zilkin posted:

I have Boone and ED-E as companions, and everything seems to usually die before they even get close, even though I'm playing on hard difficulty. I'm only about level 15 and havent done any DLCs yet though, so maybe the fights get harder later.
Companions are really powerful in NV compared to the other Fallouts. This is because they have some sort of sixth sense that tells them when an enemy's nearby and exactly where it is, so you will literally never be snuck up on. If you want the game to be even mildly difficult, don't use them, or just use one. Boone is especially overpowered with his rifle. On my game I'm playing with Cass because at least she doesn't one-shot everything with her crappy caravan shotgun, but honestly the gameplay is better if you use none.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Brace posted:

I still like the Come Fly With Me quest despite having done it every playthrough, probably one of the best quests in the game.
I love how you get a little temporary radio station that just plays Flight of the Valkyries for that part.

Bigass Moth posted:

I always thought it was really annoying since there is a lot of backtracking and fetch questing.
At least those ghouls are a lot more likable than the Hubologists.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

CommanderCoffee posted:

I wouldn't call them evil. I'd call them Lawful Evil. Yes, they're evil, but it's in order to construct a strictly-defined military-based society with a strong economy. A bit different from flat-out evil. Evil for the sake of stability.

Edit: It's actually a helluva lot better that they have some purpose to being 'evil'. Looking back on Fallout 3, was there any reason the Enclave was just ridiculously supervillan-y?
Well, they had the exact same motivation in Fallout 2, to erase all traces of mutation from humanity by killing everyone in the wasteland and repopulating the world with unmutated humans. They're basically just eugenics loving assholes.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Re: Legion. They are completely evil. They may have a more efficiently run society, but the Nazis were pretty efficient too. It's taken some time, but throughout the history of human civilization, humanity eventually decided on some things that absolutely cannot be part of officially institutionalized society, no matter how dire the circumstances. Not even the end of world (and Fallout's post-apocalyspe is really relatively tame) could justify them. We generally call these laws, rights, ethics, something along those lines. These include, among other things, slavery and rape (of women, at least; America doesn't seem to care about legal rape against men), especially at the legally regulated hands of the government.

If a society's status quo includes institutionalized rape and slavery, the governing body responsible for it is evil, and there are no two ways about this conclusion.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 1, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Hey guys, I played Fallout New Vegas and pretty much loved the game. Would getting Fallout/Fallout 2 be a good decision, or are they too dated to really be enjoyed these days? In other words, have they aged well for someone who is playing them +10 years later?
YES! I just recently played Fallout 2 for the first time in preparation for playing New Vegas (which I'm still working on). It was a loving blast! It was easy enough to adjust to the clunky interface (which is mostly quite serviceable, just with a few rather questionable design decisions). I was riveted to that game until I beat it, which is rare for me - I almost never finish games nowadays.

Fallout 1 is a different story - I have tried to get into that game at least 3 times and I always get super bored in the starting town.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
How does Christine get her voice back in Dead Money?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
If I give the platinum chip to House does that lock me on his path or can I help out the NCR/Legion later?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just finished Honest Hearts and did not like it very much, not nearly as much as Dead Money in any case. The story was just really boring and the moral dilemma didn't grab me at all. I thought it was a complete nobrainer to side with Joshua and help the tribals defend their home, especially after reading the survivalist journals. I thought the downside was going to have to do with his self-righteous bloodthirstiness, but luckily I was able to cure him of that trait at the end, so win-win all around.

I think Dead Money set way too high of a bar for me. It had amazing writing and characterization, a unique, fascinating, and spooky setting, and for me a very appealing shakeup in core gameplay mechanics. It felt like an experiment but totally succeeded for me. Honest Hearts felt very unoriginal in comparison, Zion just felt like a miniature version of the wastes except somehow even emptier. Its aesthetics were beautiful, but the only thing I liked about it narratively was the backstory with the survivalist journals, and the gameplay was just wandering around and shooting things. I'll admit Joshua was a pretty interesting character but we didn't really get to spend enough time with him. It was not a bad experience on the whole but at the end I just said "that's it?" whereas with Dead Money the feeling as the slides rolled was more of a :drat:

Anyway, now on to Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, and the last act of New Vegas.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 8, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

The Atomic Wrangler's got you covered!

So I have HH, OWB, and LR. I played through HH and disliked it. If I disliked that, would I like DM? I get some money at the beginning of next month, and I'm trying to choose what to buy with my fun budget. Is DM a must-have dlc?
I disliked HH and loved DM. Completely different feel. It's very unique. DM is basically survival horror + Bioshock, with a lot of atmosphere and some great writing. It's very challenging in a way that Fallout usually isn't. If that sounds intriguing to you then go for it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The reason the Survivalist views the Sorrows as so innocent is because he only interacted with them when they were literally children. When they arrived he says the oldest were probably 13 and then he dies a year later. I guess the values the Survivalist taught a bunch of children persisted to the values of their society. It's a sweet story, but the problem with Daniel is that he's a holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat racist (well the tribals arent different races but you know what I mean) who still sees tribals as children who need to be protected, when actually they're responsible adults and protecting them comes at their great detriment. If pretending the world's dangers don't exist isn't wrong enough now, what about later, when Daniel grows too old to protect them from all the nasty people out there? The world is a dangerous place with a lot of dangerous people in it. The high concept of "innocence" isn't enough of a reason to basically throw the tribals to the dogs after Daniel dies.

Joshua's reasons aren't any less inappropriate than Daniel's but at least his actions help the tribals gain independence. Which is what I think the Survivalist was going for, had he lived longer. A couple quotes from his journal:

"I tell them I'm giving them Zion as a gift to make up for all the sorrows of their lives so far and all the sorrows man has visited on man. I tell them to be kind to each other and modest. I tell them never to hurt each other but that if someone else comes along and tries to hurt them to strike back with righteous anger. Stuff like that ... Told them that it would be up to them to handle things on their own from now on, that I'd be silent but still watching and still caring."

From these words I don't think he would have wanted them to remain as children for the rest of their lives, but to stand up and be responsible for themselves. You can do that with love and mercy, without being an rear end in a top hat, which is another thing he was trying to impart. I will say though that this discussion has made me rethink about a lot of HH, to the extent that I'm somehow actually looking forward to replaying it. And even though I didn't really like the DLC, you dont know how happy I am that the story is this ambiguous and discussable instead of the simple good vs evil story so many video games settle for.

edit: About the characters and player acting as gods: That is a very interesting viewpoint. I thought it was a little frustrating from a narrative standpoint that I had to make a choice in the matter, and moreover that my fairly banal choice (I'm just trying to go home here, I have no real stake) would determine the future moral path of each tribe. Like if I help wipe out the White Legs the tribes start becoming more violent towards themselves and each other because I've suddenly shown them the horror of violence. I don't like feeling like God, in that sense. I just want to do what I think is right without my small choice having massive consequences for entire cultures. I know it's a video game and that video game characters have no self-determinism and no choice but to react to the player, but I feel I know what the characters in HH are talking about when they complain about being venerated like gods. I'm just a man.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Joeslop posted:

Any ideas? Alternatively, is there a console command to warp back and forth, and will it screw with my achievements?
Yeah, you can use "coc NVDLC03TheSink" to get there. Using any console command will disable achievements until you restart the game.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I'm still exploring Vanilla and I just made a retired old vet who was trying to do the right thing commit suicide, now I feel like poo poo.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Who, the old ranger in Novac?

Also just finished up an OWB run with an INT 3 character. Quite disappointed that there are no dumb dialogue options. Unless I've to go even lower. :v
Hanlon at Camp Golf, for the radio frequencies quest. I feel especially bad because I wasn't trying to make him do that, just get him to stop sabotaging his own troops in the name of some greater ideal. I'm not really sure what he was trying to do exactly, but there are better ways of trying to save lives than acting against your own men with some secretive grand scheme. Unfortunately he just sort of decided to kill himself rather than be taken into custody.

This game is really good at these kind of ambiguous situations, god I wish I wasn't almost done with it.

rope kid posted:

I think I've posted this before, but if you'd like to see a film that was a big inspiration for Honest Hearts, check out The Mission (though obviously there are a lot of practical differences).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvWaD-NErlY

p.s. it is very sad
Definitely gonna check this out. Thanks Rope Kid.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 12, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The Van Graffs don't really sell anything you can't get elsewhere, if that's what you're worried about.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Magnets! posted:

Riot Shotgun is the best shotgun.
I've got some mod that lets me put a silencer on the hunting shotgun. It looks completely retarded, but that, my friend, that is the best shotgun.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

New Vegas set the precedent that your character doesn't need to be a Vault Dweller, which is fine by me. I don't see how you could play another Vault Dweller at this point unless the game is a prequel, and aside from that, it's kind of played-out as a storytelling conceit.

My secret wish is to be able to play as a ghoul, or at least for ghouls to have a larger presence in the game world. They're nifty. :3:
Set the precedent? In Fallout 2 you were a tribal. Vault dweller PCs are boring anyway since they always come from the 'normal' vaults. I would love to be a 200 year old ghoul in the next game, though I don't know how they'd make that relevant to the plot. Maybe it could be a heartwarming story about overcoming prejudice.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

50 Foot Ant posted:

If you're have a lot of CDT's, go to the Nexus and download the new crash-fixes. I did, and it solves a LOT of problems, especially in the Lonesome Road.

One of my friends crashed about every 10 minutes, after taking at least twice to get out of the loader. He used it, and BAM, everything works golden.

Another one to take a look at is the 4MB loader. It really helps too.
Can you link this? The only thing I could find on nexus related to crash fixes was a small bugfix for LR. I already use the 4GB loader but I would be very interested in something that made me crash less.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

YggiDee posted:

How's the brush gun compare to, say, This Machine? I've never tried one because if I ever have a single round of .45-70 I disassemble it instantly for more rifle powder. I am always annoyed if I have .308 cases but not enough powder to turn it into more superbullets! I need them.

Then after a stint at the reloading bench I had enough lead to overencumber me.

I think I have an ammo problem...

Hand-Loader is the best/worst perk.
Solution: Sierra Madre Vending Machines. Virtually infinite free .308 rounds. There's even a reloading bench right next to it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I have been getting a very annoying bug, every time I try to load a game I get an infinite load screen. I can load the first game after opening the program fine, but I cannot load after gameplay has started. Does anyone have any ideas about this, because I don't and I'm gonna have to stop playing if I can't figure out how to stop it, which would make me very sad.
I run with NVSE, the 4gb loader, never use auto saves, installed that mod to reduce crashes, even tried cleaning mods with fnvedit... what else can I do now?

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 19, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

redreader posted:

Guns was at 99 and I put it up to 108. I am probably getting some kind of modifier from my +2 to everything between 6am and 12pm (I rest a lot) perk, a couple of other perks and my +1 perception cowboy hat.
That's gotta be some kind of mod. In my game even if I should be able to boost skills past 100 with gear, its still capped at "Guns: 100 (+)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Smol posted:

Project Nevada has one (among other things).
Indeed it does - if you are playing on PC, Project Nevada is a highly recommended mod. It also gives you a grenade hotkey, allows you to use your AP on bullet time instead of VATS, and expands the implant system into something more awesome and strategic (think deus ex augs). All its options are modular in case you just want the sprint or whatever. Sorry but I really can't recommend this mod enough, it totally improves NV as a gameplay experience.