Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I put about 40 hours into Fallout 3 and really enjoyed it, but I didn't really feel any need to go back in afterwards. With New Vegas, I'm closer to 70 hours, have barely touched the main questline, have played through two of the four DLC I own (I almost NEVER buy DLC for games) and I'm worried that at some point I'll have done everything in the game and not be able to play it anymore (with that character!).

It really is just a tremendous game. While it does have flaws, it does so much stuff so right, and I hope that Obsidian gets its kudos when it comes to getting to develop more games.
Judging from my steam time, the last playthrough I did (which I didn't even finish) was 40 hours. With my new recent playthrough I'm also noticing some stuff I missed out on, so this game is really jam packed with stuff.

Also, I noticed that the traitor in Camp McCarran mission was fixed, very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I completely missed The Thorn the first two playthroughs until somebody told me about it. The entire area north of New Vegas is inconspicuous in general since there's very little plot pushing you that way.
I was just about to post that. I too had no idea about this until my friend talked about how before he went into the actual New Vegas, Victor followed him to there.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Little is known about the Gunslinger's past... and it sadly will stay that way. Because he died while messing with a grenade launcher, ending his story prematurely. ALWAYS: Safety first before using explosives.

Also I feel that these screenshots capture the mood of New Vegas quite well:

Boone. Being wacky.

Boone. Being wacky again.

This picture symbolizes me flipping the bird at the cazadores.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
The Mojave is quite strange...

I do not think doctors are suppose to leave camp if they have wounded patients.

Ok so Diane of the Great Khans decided to spawn in front of black mountain, then when I try intercepting her while she is trying to walk back to the Great Khans base, I saw that she was being chased by a deathclaw. And if she dies the quest to stop the Great Khans from joining Legion ends. Just another day for the Gunslinger I suppose.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

My favourite one of these occurrences to happen to me was when the Boomer Jack and the girl from the Crimson Caravan took it upon themselves to elope all the way over to the hills near Scorpion Gulch. I only found them because I had a quest objective to find him. Then there was an annoying one where that kid who has the C-finder vanished into the mountains north of Vegas never to be seen again.
So these are common occurrences?! I thought it was some mod side effect, but I don't have any mods that would change how the ai acts. I also don't remember this happening in older patches.

I mean now I'm half expecting for Caesar to start wandering around Camp McCarren.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Another odd event in the wastes is when monsters crawl into the ground to hide from the onslaught of Boone.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

Well, no, that isn't what we are talking about. BoS is pretty classic fallout in theme and location, it just attempted to translate it into an Action game instead of the isometric TBS-RPG.

Note that Bethesda did a similar thing, rehashing all the previous content and regurgitating it as a RPG-FPS, set in the capital wasteland. New Vegas brings us back to the American South West, but now with a splash of Pulp-Western and lots of fan-service/nostalgia.

Then again, maybe New Vegas is the last real Fallout game for a long time. I know LR was supposed to be the last content heavy DLC. In five or ten years we can rehash it all again with rose-tinted glasses. We will laugh about how bad the engine was(like we don't already).

Now I'm feeling kind of depressed. The second age of Fallout is over. :emo:
The best part about New Vegas for me was how much it continues the Fallout universe. While I haven't played much of FO1, I played a lot of FO2. The references to the older games don't feel so much as references, but more of continuing a story. Being able to decide the fate of groups like the NCR, Great Khans, etc feels like I'm actually making important choices in the games world. Compare that to FO3 where the only thing you can possibly do is save a tiny bubble of BoS people.

So theoretically, if there ever is another Fallout game it should be at some level of progression from the past games. I'm not saying that the same exact characters need to be in it, but there should be relation somehow (ie a faction that was once part of Legion, an evolved form of Enclave).

Although, probably the biggest reason why I would be excited for a new FO game would be a new engine. The possibilities are endless with what could be done compared to Gamebryo.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

The retro 50s America theme is just that, a theme. The Fallout world didn't actually end until 2077 in Nuclear War. Nothing says a Fallout in an Asian region has to be retro 50s China.
The thing is if Fallout was set in a new area with a new theme, new everything, it wouldn't be a Fallout game because it doesn't need to be a Fallout game. It would be like if Skyrim was placed in a feudal Japan setting with all reference to the past games thrown out the window. While this could still be good, it's not an Elder Scrolls game anymore.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
If the Skyrim engine is used for the next Fallout game then I want the setting to be the middle america "open fields, farmland, small towns", so then we can have some legion type faction with cavalry riding across the wastes. The thought of fighting a squad of cavalry with fallout weaponry just seems so ridiculously fitting to me.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

Yeah, I actually kinda want this.

I've asked myself why motorcycles/mutated horses weren't available for use in FO3 and FNV. I hope they add something like this in there.
If you remember the horses from Oblivion, it didn't feel like you were riding anything, it was more you were gliding around. With a new engine that could be fixed.

And really there's a lot of things you could possibly ride in fallout (RADSCOPRIONS!!)

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Zorak posted:

Does anyone have any idea why, when I am "Liked" by NCR, an NCR MP would suddenly go I SEE I FIND YOU ALONE OUTSIDE THE STRIP, YOULL PAY FOR DISRESPECTING THE NCR PREPARE TO DIE. No others attack me, it's just this one nut and I'm rather confused by it.

I mean yes I am planning on betraying the NCR but this has yet to happen!!
Hahaha that happened to me when I was sleeping in the Embassy in the Strip. He wakes me up, says that line, and everyone opens fire on me. What I noticed was that I had the Kill Mr House for NCR quest on me, so I guessed that they really wanted me to do that quickly. Then, after the deed has been done the same guy from before (or well I had to load a save from before because I died from him), and he tells me "What are you looking at?" and walks away.

It has to be a glitch, because I'm going to assume the dudes only suppose to show up if NCR really hates you.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Dear god... And I thought I was having problems for when a cazador spawns at the Hoover Dam fast travel point (causing everyone in the Dam to freak out).

These glitches are very weird, because I don't think I had these problems occur when I first played New Vegas at release. It's also scary to think that any NPC could possibly at any moment decide to run off and die.

Obviously, this is Radiant AI 2.0 for Skyrim being tested on in New Vegas.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Axelgear posted:

Speculation on political cartoons in the NCR led to a doodle, which led to a sketch, which led to this little bit of fanart.

Could've turned out better, but there it is. Next time I think of doing something like this, I'll spend more time making sure I can do an on-model Vault Boy first, before I attempt Vault Kimball.
It's a great idea actually. There's a lot of material for making silly fake political cartoons in Fallout.

Edit: The next villain in fallout needs to be a libertarian cartoonist.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 13, 2011

jvempire
May 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

"My mother got the eggs from a Deathclaw she kept in the shed. Then a stranger came along and shot it in the eye. :saddowns:"
That reference in game made me laugh more than it should have.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

So I've spent the last few days in Las Vegas for the first time and just drove from there to the Hoover Dam to the Grand Canyon. I gotta say I love accurate the look of the landscape is in New Vegas but I wish the sense of scale was a bit bigger. I guess getting around would be unfun as gently caress in the game if things were more spaced out but there really needed to be more wide open vistas in this game.

Bizarrely though the Hoover Dam in-game is way scaled up from real life. The top of the dam and the towers are at least twice as big in New Vegas than it is in real life. I guess they had to do it for gameplay reasons.
I would assume all map scaling is for gameplay reasons, but man I do kind of wish there was another area/section before reaching New Vegas. It just felt like getting to New Vegas was so quick, and I felt like there could of been an opportunity to add more mystery to Mr House (like maybe him testing/messing with you or something) before actually meeting him. Granted you don't need to go to New Vegas right away, but it's hard not to when it's the centerpiece of the game.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

MounerKT posted:

Is there any way to play this game in windowed mode with no borders?
Yes! http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41381 It is interesting to note how the game runs a bit better in windows mode so this mod is helpful.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Francois Kofko posted:

i tried to play the first one and died to some rats outside the vault, said 'gently caress this' and quit
The random events do sometimes seem impossible at a beginning level. Thankfully, you can just run off to the side of the map to flee them.

Leal posted:

Ya.. irritated me how difficult it was for my smooth talking gunslinger to be forced into going through a temple with a spear. Pretty much save/load spam till I could get to the end of it, where finally my smooth talking would come into play and I wouldn't have to fight the guy there. Good thing too, or I'd never get through unless I made a character that was good with unarmed or melee.
I think the unofficial FO2 patch fixes the temple, because I had no troubles with it. Just had to kill a few scorpions and figure out where the next door is.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
What I really enjoyed about NV is the RPG side, how you can choose between a variety of things. In FO3 mostly all the quests were linear (especially the main quest) and while the first playthrough of the game is fine I can never bring myself to play the game again. In NV, a lot of the quests allow for some leeway and in the end the player shapes the mojave in their own way.

Astroturf Man posted:

You mean the sludge Bioware keeps churning out lately isn't the greatest thing ever?
Dragon Age 2 has a better metascore than Alpha Protocol, that's all there needs to be said on metascores.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 23, 2011

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Player 2 posted:

good, maybe the player should be put in scenarios where he is not able to wholly dictate the behaviour of those around him regardless of how silver his tongue is.
That doesn't quite make any sense in the context of an RPG game where the player is playing a role, so if the player puts stats into Speech it is assumed his/her character is persuasive/smooth talker/etc. Forcing the character to not be what they are "role-playing" as in an RPG game is not good.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Bilal posted:

Now, coming around to the idea of themed characters, here's what my ideal Fallout New Vegas would look like. In my ideal NV, weapon perks like Cowboy, Grunt, etc would give you additional dialogue options. When confronting Benny, for example:

(I am bad at writing dialogue)

[Cowboy] I got six bullets in this gun. Way I see it, that's one for each of ya.

[Grunt] A frag here, a frag there, and a little bit of suppression fire from my machine gun and your bodyguards will be pissin' themselves in the corner.

[Mad Bomber] I've already wired this place to blow, Benny. Any of your guards touch their guns, I click this detonator and the whole place comes crashing down on top of us.

And so on. Like this, you actually do get to play the role of a cowboy, talk like your cowboy would, as opposed to just using a cowboy gun. I don't understand how to use the GECK, but this would be a fun mod I'd like to make if I could.
I'm confused, this happens already happens in game. Of course it's not decided by what clothes or weapon you are holding at that instant, but your stats definitely make speech options like that.

Of course there isn't speech options like this for every single situation, but you can't expect something like that from a game with voice acting (aka more speech options = more voice acting work = more money spent). And Obsidian definitely made the attempt to add a variety of speech options, so I don't understand the complaint.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem isn't having a background, it's how it's handled. FO3 gives you the entirety of your background, drat be to how incongruous it is and the plot is with how you can act.

KOTOR 2 is the best example of giving the player character a background. Give them a what, let them handle the why.
The courier's background doesn't entirely matter though. You are shot in the head and essentially reborn. Who ever you were before that shot doesn't matter, because that was a completely different person.

Note, I'm only talking about in the scope of the regular game. I haven't played the DLCs.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Niggard of Oz posted:

What's up with Karma in this game? I randomly get a huge bunch from killing ghouls or powder gangers, but it's so random I can't figure out what I'm doing to get it. I could kill 20 ghouls and not get any karma for 19 of them, but one of them will give it and put me from near evil to good.
Check out the modding thread for the karma mod, it fixes the "enemies give ridiculous amounts of good karma" thing.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think people are undermining New Vegas' success. It sold really well, it's just that initially when the game was released all the "gaming journalists" bashed the game. They seemed to complain about the bugs, this is understandable but then when Skyrim was released it was praised for its bugs from the same people :psyduck:.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Beardless Riker posted:

I think at its core the hate for Fallout 3 is that it isn't 1 or 2, in spite of the fact that it is largely a good game.
It's good for one playthrough, but when I try replaying it I feel like I've done everything already. With New Vegas, the variety of choices make multiple playthroughs more interesting.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

This is even worse!!
I think he means the FO 3 engine, and not the Fallout franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

MustardMaster posted:

Gotta go with boredom. Talking heads with a fetch quest and a feeling that if I won't do the right choises regarding the plot or skills I would end up loving it all. A lot of people hate linearity and adore freedom in games, but to me it seemed a little MMORPGish: You are thrown in the middle of a huge rear end desert where all your missions are either collect this or kill that, thank you stranger. Also post-apocalyptic worlds are pretty depressive, but that's just my preference. It just feels a little empty, that's all.

Not that linear games wouldn't have their fetch quests and whatnot, but somehow it's more "packed" and feels that it has more meaning when it's a thing you have to do right here and right now, rather than being just one tiny thing in the humongous world out there.

So what will turn my head and return me to this bandwagon?
The desert is quite empty, but that's why there's so many towns and set pieces. The quests are definitely not all "collect this or kill that", unless you have only played the beginning of the game.

The appeal of the game is character driven story. There are surprisingly a lot of options the player has in the game. In the first town alone you can join the powder gang and kill the towns people, there are not many RPGs that would allow you to join the bad guys for example. And even for some of the fetch/kill quests, there is options to do entirely different things within that quest. The best example is the White Gloves Society quest, which is a pretty amazing quest with how many options the player has.

The choices the player makes all shape the Mojave, there's no right or wrong answer that will "gently caress up" the story. The endgame has slides that show all the outcomes of your actions that you made throughout the game.