Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Combat difficulty scales well on Honest Hearts, but there is a lot of content behind Hard locked doors that a low level character would have to take into consideration when assigning skill points. I recommend doing Honest Hearts later because the enemies are more interesting with anti-materiel rifles and brush guns than with 10mm SMGs and hunting rifles.

Dead Money scales as well as Honest Hearts, but it's a lot more reliant on skill checks - you can complete the main quests in Honest Hearts without any high skills, you'll just miss out on a lot of goodies behind locked doors. In Dead Money you need the skills to get the optimal ending. I wouldn't start Dead Money without being able to get your Lockpick and Speech (and preferably Science) up to at least 75.

Agree that Old World Blues is easier with lower level characters. Had no trouble beating it with a level 19 character, but had some hairy moments trying to beat it with a level 45. I'm pretty sure Lonesome Road has some fairly hard skill checks that are needed just to advance, but it can be designed that way as it's the only DLC you can leave before it's completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Xik posted:

How important is this? I'm about to start that DLC in the morning and since the Survival skill seems incredibly useless(not playing hardcore) I haven't put any points in it.

Survival is still useful if you aren't playing hardcore as it increases the healing benefits of food and drink, and there is a LOT of good Survival-related items in Honest Hearts, but the game seems to be made around playing on Hardcore. Non-hardcore is ridiculously easy once you get a good collection of stimpacks, and once you get the Roughing It bedroll from Lonesome Road you wouldn't even need those.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Cervixalot posted:

Are there any 'don't miss' sidequests or areas I should hit up in an NCR - good karma playthrough? I'm at 100 Lockpicking, Speech and Science, and looking to do as many cool/fun sidequests as possible before moving the main storyline on (this is my first playthrough).

Even though I haven't finished the game yet, I already have a second playthrough character waiting in the wings (cannibal melee legion-friendly brute) waiting to cause havoc with the super sledge, but it seems like most of the companions aren't legion or evil friendly (Boone, Cass, Veronica in particular). Who (if anyone) would be worth recruiting (besides the obvious ED-E who doesn't judge my cannibalistic habits :) ).

If you are working with the NCR, you want to make sure to do all the quests out of McCarran, I missed a lot the first time through because I didn't have good enough NCR faction to get them, I didn't realize I could go kill a few fiends and come back and do them. I also failed to meet a lot of quest givers, thoroughly explore and talk to everybody at McCarran. Of particular interest are the interrogation of the Legion prisoner and the quests for Contreras in the supply shed. There is also a quest to find a spy that is very tricky and easy to fail by saying the wrong thing to the wrong person - if you're asked to find a spy, don't tell ANYONE what you are doing.

Probably don't want to keep Cass on an NCR playthrough, as her quests conflict with a pro-NCR one if you give her to the Van Graffs, they betray the Legion and start supplying weapons to the NCR. I think she's the only NPC who has problems with bad karma, so she probably wouldn't be appropriate for the evil karma run. Some of them will quit you if you do get a bad reputation with their faction (e.g. Boone and Veronica), but you can get away with being very easy with any of them except Cass (and if you alternate your evil acts with ghoul/fiend killing, you can probably keep her too). I don't think you can do anything to offend Raul, Lilly, ED-E, or Rex.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

It's not that I necessarily thought he was dead, but this:

pretty much sums it up. If he had been waging a one-man guerrilla war against the White Legs while Daniel urged peace it would have been way more interesting than what actually happened. There might have even been a question about if it was Joshua or someone just using the legend for extra intimidation. Instead it was, "yes, here is Joshua Graham, the Burned Man. Collect these three things.

That would have been awesome - you could even throw in a red herring by hinting that the Survivalist may have become a ghoul, implying he is still haunting Zion.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

You clearly haven't been using the heavy incinerator then. :colbert:

And I get that fire is a form of energy; I think my problem is that I'm classifying weapon types by their ammo. Most energy weapons use either SECs, MFCs and ECPs all of which strike me as batteries. The fuel tank seems more like a volatile material that is weaponized on ignition.

Actually, one of the energy weapon ammunition types (I think MFCs) are very easily modified into one of the most powerful explosives in the game in Lonesome Road.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Well, the messages he leaves explicitly indicate that he is aging and on top of that another log details an encounter he had with feral ghouls and how he murdered the poo poo out of them.

Just one minor change and you could imply otherwise - have the place where he went to die be radioactive and missing a skeleton.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

Will do. Let's also make a "What are the most common things Goons didn't know about" list as well.

I didn't know you could scroll the map and thought you could only fast travel to places you could see on your map when zoomed out all the way. I played through about half of my first game fast-travelling in stages. I also did not know about the inventory sorting until after my first game.

Oh yeah, also didn't know for a long time that you could take Intense Training more than once. I spent a lot on implants because I wanted to save Intense Training for if there was an ability I needed one more point in after getting all the implants.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
If you are annoyed with the difficulty of enemies in Dead Money or Old World Blues, remember that you can always turn the difficulty down, it does not effect experience or the number of enemies or how intelligent they are, all it does is increase your abilty to do damage and decrease the enemies. The third time I did Dead Money it was with a character who was level 44, and I had a lot more trouble than on previous playthroughs, then I loaded up one day and the ghost people were a lot easier to handle and I had a lot more fun with it. That's how I found out that the difficulty setting was not tied to a particular save - my daughter had been playing on Very Easy on her game. At first I was unhappy that I had played at a lower difficulty and considered reloading an old save from before the change, but I realized I did not want to re-do the parts that were still pretty challenging on Very Easy over again.

There's no achievements or bonuses for playing on harder difficulties, they are just there to make combat more challenging for people who are good at that. Why be frustrated over hard enemies when you can make them easier without effecting any other part of the game experience? When I did Old World Blues the first time, with a character in her teens, I did not adjust the difficulty down, it was well balanced. When I did it with a high level character, I bumped it down toe Very Easy, but that was a little too easy, then brought it up to Easy.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

I like how getting Explorer perk before DLC shows where everything is.

Explorer only showed locations in DLC for me when I took it while in the DLC location. I don't have the locations in Lonesome Road, despite my character having taken Explorer long before it came out (I took it while doing Honest Hearts).

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Did you take Explorer before or after you installed Lonesome Road?

Before.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

Hell, have you played Old World Blues? If a apocalyptic toaster and a hedonistic bio-lab, and light switches with jealousy issues doesn't change your perspective, I don't know what will.

The devices in The Sink are not sentient or AIs, you can find that out in a conversation with the butler program. Mobius apparently deliberately designed them with quirky pre-programmed conversational options.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Drakes posted:

I really enjoyed it for the change of pace. Although some speaker segments were iffy, or navigating the villa and getting lost all round when half the things look the same at times. But what really made Dead Money most enjoyable were the characters and how you're pretty much in touch with'em for the majority of the dlc. It was nice having these interesting chracters and finding out why they ended up there.

Though at first it annoyed me, I came to appreciate the maze-like navigation of the Villa. The backstory, design, and clever hidden paths were a lot of fun to me after the extremely simple navigation you get used to in the Mojave with your fast travel, reliable maps, and useful quest markers. The combat was satisfyingly challenging and different with a low level Unarmed Legion character and a mid-low level Energy House Agent. My high level NCR Guns guy was frustrated by ghost people and lack of ammo until the difficulty was accidentally turned down.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

The Legion are all gay so obviously they are the evil faction.

That appears to be the opinion of Cass. I was a bit put off by her homophobic remarks about the Legion. Not that the Legion isn't evil, but of all the things to make fun of them for, their skirts and rumors that they have gay sex seems a bit odd, especially for a bisexual character. In fact, is Cass the only person in the game who says anything disparaging about gays? I know Major Knight says the NCR doesn't approve of homosexuality, but I don't think here's any NCR characters who actually give voice to that.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Nycticeius posted:

Isn't Cass bi?

Great job reading the post you quoted.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

boo_radley posted:

I'm ready for id tech 5 for Fallout: Oregon or whatever. :fap:

Fallout 2 started in Oregon.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Well the slow turn-based style of combat is kinda a let-down (it's part of the reason why I never got into the Final Fantasy series), but I suppose I'll be able to deal with it if it has as good a story as people say. One of the things I liked about New Vegas was all the story options it had using the karma and reputation systems. Does Fallout 2 get in-depth with that? I heard it was a lot more like New Vegas than Fallout 3 in that respect.

The karma and reputation systems are actually a bit more complicated in Fallout 2 than in Fallout: NV. Karma is more important, though it still takes second place to reputation. Certain activities like grave robbing and killing children can permanently effect the way some people think of you. Different towns each have their own separate reputation value for you, so slaughtering everybody in one town won't immediately make everybody hate you in the next, but word of your actions spreads - if you are hated in one town and the next one over still likes you, after a few days your reputation will start going down in the next town as people hear about your exploits. You can find yourself in the fun situation of having to outrun your reputation (and that gets a lot easier when you get a car).

Drugs are still powerful, but a lot more dangerous due to the lack of Fixer - I'm not sure if there's even a way to remove addictions, but if there is, it's not as easy. I had a mentat-addict who would start talking like a caveman if he didn't get his fix, first thing to do when I rolled into a new town was try and buy some mentats before people found out about how evil I was.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Agreed posted:

[*]Any game that is designed kind of poo poo and has inherent I/O limitations because of how content is loaded. Gamebryo ahoy! Asheron's Call had an infinite world and never had this crap, and we were using IDE 100 drives if we were lucky... Just saying.

To be fair, one Fallout NPC probably has more polygons in it than a square kilometer of Asheron's Call terrain.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I saw the something funny today. My son was killing scorpions with my level 50 character near the racetrack north of Nipton, and he saw somebody running in the distance through the blowing sand. He zoomed in, and it was a Powder Ganger being chased by a giant radscorpion. He killed the scorpion with Red Glare to try and save the guy, but he died in the splash damage. Went over to see who it was, and it was that guy who got the winning lottery ticket. The funny thing is this is over 4 months in game time and 70 hours of real-life time since I first met that guy. I wonder how long that scorpion was chasing him.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Guns are superior, obviously. If only because of This Machine. I love that reference.

e: Playing through Dead Money again, it has one of my favourite little details ever. When you meet Dean in the theatre he tells you to go out a certain exit quickly. If you don't have high enough intelligence you will get killed because he's referring to the direction relative to him, not to you. If you do have a high enough intelligence you get the option to say "Your left or my left?" and he laughs and says his left. "Almost got you killed, there!"

What makes this detail even neater is Dean's theater background - as an actor on a stage, he would think of "stage left" and "stage right", which is reversed from the audience's left and right.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

If worse comes to worse you can always crank down the difficulty to very easy for a while and kill everything with a stiff breeze while taking orbital strikes to the face.

Even on Very Easy, some enemies can be very dangerous. Regular deathclaws will kill you with one or two hits if you're wearing anything less than power armor, and unless you have high charisma keeping your companions alive can be tricky on hardcore. It's not THAT easy of a setting. Vault 34 will still make you sweat.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

loving hell there's an overturned truck outside of the Lucky 38 right in the middle of the strip. It's been there for 200 years someone move that poo poo you lazy assholes.

What makes you think it was there for 200 years? The game doesn't show vehicles being driven around but that's just a limitation of the engine, if you read the computer logs and such regarding the Camp Searchlight quests, you'll see that trucks and fire engines were being driven around shortly before the beginning of the adventure. I think ropekid has also confirmed that there are thousands of working vehicles in the NCR.

I saw this mistaken way of seeing things in discussions related to Lonesome Road, as well. Somebody complained that there was a broken pipe with water gushing out, and that it was ridiculous for water to still be running 200 years after the war - but The Divide was destroyed within the Courier's lifetime, and prior to that was a well-developed and advanced civilization. There's running water all over the Mojave, even in rather remote locations, it stands to reason there's be even more advanced plumbing and infrastructure farther west.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 7, 2011

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Part of the problem is people aren't used to the timeline advancing in games. Fallout 1 was straight up post apocalyptic, but by New Vegas, at least in the core region, things are more post-postapocalyptic. Civilization has begun returning, there are probably parts of the NCR where life isn't much harder than it is in a developing country in the modern world. Except the occasional swarm of giant radioactive scorpions.

I'm not sure if I like it that way, I do miss the original Fallout 3's core concept of time is passing in the wasteland, but things just keep getting worse because people are assholes who won't stop fighting over the scraps of the old world to build a new one.

I like that civilization is developing and some things are actually better by the late 23rd century than they are now. The NCR is almost as old as the USA, and working cars have been common enough to not draw too much attention since Fallout 2. The Followers say something about how human lifespans are increasing, this may be due to the various mutation-causing viruses drifting around or just natural selection, but your character doesn't seem that surprised on the couple of occasions where they hear about or meet somebody who is far older than possible in our times. People have working portable fusion reactors for energy and they know how to recharge ones that have gone dead with just a workbench. Tribal chemists can produce drugs that can completely cure any addiction for less than the price of a brahmin steak dinner. Common people build household robots to help with their chores. By 2281, life in the Fallout universe is a lot better than modern times for many people - of course, there are regions where life is brutal, nasty, and short, but that's the same here.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

The goddamned commissary in LR is pissing me off. It refills with no rhyme or reason that I can pinpoint. I thought it was a 3 day timer in another cell, like most vendors... and that worked for a while. But now its not refilling no matter how long I stay away in or out of zone... :negative:

I've found that it refills when you get it's cap supply very low, around a couple of hundred caps.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

rope kid posted:

Pretty much all of those places have water towers above the urban center. An elevated source and unobstructed pipes are the only things you really need to have running water.

EDIT: At least in the Mojave, that's the case. I don't know about LR.

Water towers are just to provide consistent pressure and a small amount of back-up water in case there's a breakdown of the system that pumps water up into the towers. You still need to get water into the tower, even big ones empty pretty quick if that stops.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

I never plan on returning to DM, anything I should make sure I dont miss?

The vending machine code for .357 ammo is behind a door that requires 75 science to open in the police station. Most of the other codes are pretty easy to get, but that .357 ammo code is really handy if you are a guns guy. I think the weapon repair kit code is in the police station too, on top of a cabinet or something where it's easy to miss.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That's pretty much the worst ending. The best ending I managed to get was:

Convince God and Dog to unify, convince Dean to help you stop Elijah, convince Christine to stay out of the final confrontation and string together Vera's voice-passcode from her old recordings. Then convince Elijah to come down to the vault, and sneak out as he comes down and sets off the alarms that set off the trap left behind for Dean pre-war. Elijah will be trapped in the vault forever, the others wait for you for a little bit, but they can't trust each other enough to stick around so they depart to make their own lives (Dean suggests he will check out Vegas). When you return to the abandoned BoS Bunker, a final message from Christine/Vera bids you goodbye and good luck for the future.

Every time I did it, I convinced Christine that I was going to kill Elijah, she'll say the phrase for you, and while you're down there she'll try to help you by hacking the turret system. I think that's a bit better than convincing her to stay out as she gets to be part of the solution.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I haven't played Fallout 3, and it sounds like I wouldn't want to, but I do have a few thoughts about the level of destruction and messiness in the Mojave.

I think that a lot of the people in the world at the time of Fallout: NV have no knowledge of what a well-maintained settlement is SUPPOSED to look like. To a person living in the Mojave, a house with cracked windows, dirt on the floors, and broken doorjambs probably seems like a dream home as long as it protects them from the elements. They may have an idea what a house might look like in perfect repair, and can tell that things are broken, but they are living in a smashed world and that kind of house just isn't part of their reality. They have the knowledge and capability to do some cosmetic repairs, but why would they waste their time and energy on doing that when they are struggling to survive day to day? Hell, there are many things in my house that have been broken for a long time that I can't justify the time and expense to fix because we have more important things to take care of - there's holes in the wall that we covered up with pictures, leaks in the roof that we place buckets under when it rains hard, and cracks in two windows that I covered with duct tape. If I'm cool with that, I'm sure 99% of the people in the 23rd century would be as well. I think a lot of knowledge has been lost or is disregarded as stuff from the old times that is worthless today. For instance, nobody seems to be using toilets for their intended purpose, or else it wouldn't be safe to drink from them. Nobody is selling hot baths at their hotel like they did in the 19th century, and many people lived in houses with dirt floors back then. I think bathing and using indoor toilets aren't cultural behaviors anymore.

Then there's other practical considerations - in a world with virtually no law and order and roving bands of raiders everywhere, it would be very stupid to make your house stand out from the other homes as being obviously inhabited. When raiders come, you either fight them off, die fighting them off, or run away and come back after they leave. Why spend food and water gathering time on making your house look nice when it's pretty sure to be visited by people who will just tear it up? Leave your house looking like the other abandoned houses nearby so when you have to leave it, nobody takes it form you while your gone - and if they do, it's no great loss.

The Divide may have been different - somebody said it's a good representation of what a large urban area would look like immediately after the bombs drop, and that's pretty much what it is - the area was largely untouched by the war, and had been built up by the inhabitants there. They appear to have had a military organization with uniforms, working vehicles, functional commissaries, and other luxuries of civilization up until relatively recently. That's why Ulysses admired the place, it was probably one of the most developed areas outside of the NCR.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I really enjoyed the implication in the ending slides that independent Vegas is run pretty poorly. Being a good ruler is hard, and it makes sense that the Courier can't hack it - he can do a lot of other stuff, but he's not omnipotent.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

SpaceMost posted:

~*~ So what would everyone like to see included/done differently in the next Fallout game? ~*~

I had an idea for a future Fallout game that would be set another hundred years or so into the future. The first half would have a prologue before the war, then your character experiences the war and the immediate aftermath as he tries to reach a group of scientists who were about to launch a probe into deep space. Once you reach them you are sent into space, and get stuck in suspended animation like in the 1970s Buck Rogers TV series. When you come back, you find a peaceful agrarian society in the eastern part of the USA that has reached roughly mid-20th century levels of technology, with alcohol fueled cars and airplanes, and of course some bits of salvaged high technology. They are being threatened by a more technologically advanced nation of religious extremists in the west, as well as strange creatures that were thought extinct for decades. The twist is that the good guys are the descendants of the Legion, while the enemy are what the NCR became, and they venerate the Courier, who helped them with technology from Big MT. You'd have plenty of usable vehicles, and you would use your spaceship as a home base and a way to travel from region to region.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Did Fallout start downloading an update yesterday for anybody else who has it on Steam? I can't find anything about it online, and it's really pissing me off, my internet connection is slow and it looks like I won't be able to play this weekend as it updates the whole 9GB.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Did Fallout start downloading an update yesterday for anybody else who has it on Steam? I can't find anything about it online, and it's really pissing me off, my internet connection is slow and it looks like I won't be able to play this weekend as it updates the whole 9GB.

Weird, Steam crashed while it was showing me as having 100MB of 9400MB downloaded, and when I restarted it shows me now at 6800MB of 9400 downloaded. It looks like it's not actually downloading the whole thing, it's just updating files like when patches come out and scare you to death making you think they have to download a few GB when it's just a few hundred MB. I have no idea why it's updating at all, though, I haven't changed anything or checked file integrity, and I haven't had any problems with NV at all since finishing Lonesome Road (which has been the only part of the game that crashed with any regularity for me).

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Weird, Fallout finished updating and I loaded up my most recent save and got a message saying that the save relied on objects that were no longer present. It still let me load it, but I can't figure out what might be missing - I only have three mods, a font changer, a weather mod, and one that adds working streetlights to a lot of areas. I checked and they are all still present and working properly. Strange.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
They could always have a second nuclear apocalypse - there's obviously plenty of working missiles around still, and it would fit with the theme of history repeating itself. The game could be set immediately after a nuclear war between the NCR and the Legion.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Doug Lombardi posted:

That's an unnecessarily complicated idea when there was already a perfectly good apocalypse.

I know, but Bethesda doesn't do prequels. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went with a second apocalypse idea.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I know, and it was awesome. Though kinda weird, since your character is a tribal. Where did the Chosen One learn to drive? :iiam:

Actually character progression is so weird in Fallout 2. You go from a primitive savage all the way up to a power-armored badass who can easily hack computers and has more scientific knowledge than all the gameworld's scientists' combined, and you can do this in less than 10mins if you know what to do.

My favorite aspect of the car was the trunk, buggy as it might be. It really helped with the hoarding, and it gave you something to do with energy weapon ammo when you didn't tag energy weapons.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I use VATS at times where I think my character would do better than me - for instance, hitting the head of a moving target that's far away when I have a good weapon skill, or rapidly headshotting several enemies at close range before they have a chance to attack me. I've also been using it a lot on my latest character, a deformed melee/sneak guy named Jason Voorhees who kills every person he meets, because it allows you to teleport around corners to knife people unexpectedly.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Recently, I've had two dreams involving Fallout. In the first one, from last week, I found Ulysses' tax return on my desk at work, and I read it, to see if he put "courier" or "frumentari" as his profession. He actually had "domestic terrorist".

In the second, my mom got lost on a recent trip to Las Vegas (she did recently go there) and my wife and I went looking for her. There was a fireworks show going on at Cottonwood Cove that we could see from south of Primm, and when we got to Nipton (which was no longer depopulated) I was looking for a payphone to call home and get somebody to come pick us up when I found her in a diner being run by Ruby Nash. I asked her if she tried Ruby's casserole, and she said it was too expensive, and I said "Of course, it's made with radscorpion glands!" and then I woke up.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
This might as well be the modding thread, seems half the posts are people promoting their favorite overpowered weapon mods.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
There is almost always a recharger pistol (or maybe it's a recharger rifle) in the Goodsprings Cave, on the body of a Bright follower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Visiting the Lonesome Road at the very beginning sure breaks the early part of the game. I went there at level 2 and went as far as I could without any lockpick skill, and went back to the Mojave with over 10K worth of weapons and armor.

Regarding Dead Money, there is one very important thing you need a high skill to get - the vending machine code for .357 magnum ammo is behind a door that requires 75 science to open. Other than that, it's far easier with low level characters.