Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

RBA Starblade posted:

I was thinking about the ending of LR, and I think a big part of why I liked it was because it tied into themes of the other DLC. Unless you're playing someone who WANTS to nuke everything, you have to let go of ED-E (the rear end in a top hat options around ED-E are great in how dickish they are, too, and I can't ever take them). You either accept and take responsibility for your part in the past (though a lot of the time the answer "I didn't/don't recall doing that" has Ulysses call you a child or a jerk), or you deny it. You accept the symbolism and meaning of history or you reject it and create your own.

You either get smacked down by that mutated creature with the ability to kill you in one hit or you take every drug known to man and blow everything in the Courier's Mile away with a shotgun. :clint:

Has anyone done a low-int run of Lonesome Road yet? Does it have any unique dialogue with Ulysses?

I swear, I must be the only person who plays NV and doesn't use drugs. (Outside of the basic medical stuff) Why risk addiction when you can just saw everything in half with a Thompson loaded with .45 Auto Spr? (The condition goes down as fast as the enemy's health bar!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

RBA Starblade posted:

I usually just stockpile drugs but the Deathclaws in LR, irradiated or not, can kill me in one hit. That's 450 health. Only a sneak attack critical from Christine's sniper rifle could do the same to them. And they travel in pairs.

That said doing that in Courier's Mile where Deathclaws and Marked Men, all irradiated, jumped me by the score and kept pouring in while I was tripping my rear end off on everything and unloading the riot shotgun into every last bastard was amazing fun. I left with my armor completely destroyed.

You let them get close enough to hit you? Now THERE is your problem. :clint:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bash Ironfist posted:

Which weapons? Also where the hell do you find gold bars?

The new weapons from the GRA pack and Dead Money, respectively.

e:f;b

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 27, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yodzilla posted:

^^ haha yup

On my first playthrough of New Vegas I was as neutral as you can be throughout the entire game up until the very end. However for some reason all of the troops outside in the tents at Camp McCarran hated ED-E. They'd open fire on him on sight and he would fire back but wouldn't engage me or my other companion. Eventually just by way of stray shots and slowly being whittled down everyone in that camp was dead by the end of the game. Even Little Buster got blown to hell when the NCR accidentally blew up the truck he was standing next to.

v:v:v

I seem to recall that was due to a bug where if you had any food items stored in ED-E, the NPCs would see him as an animal and attempt to get at that delicious Robo-Meat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So, I decided to try out all the new GRA weapons by going through Hoover Dam for the NCR. I have to say, pretty much every one of them is awesome, and I enjoyed ripping through the waves of Legionnaires with the Medicine Stick and Smitty Special. For a grand finish, I decided to try and kill Legate Lanius right as he appears. So, I equipped Esther loaded with a Big Kid, and used VATS to target Lanius as soon as he appeared. With a 22% chance to hit, I fired, watching the grapefruit-sized projectile soar towards Lanius, smacking him right in the head.

Then it bounced.

The Mini-Nuke bounced.

Deflected by Lanius's skull, it rebounded into the cliff face to his right, and bounced one final time against the rock back in the opposite direction before finally detonating against the cliff opposite Lanius.

Namely, about two feet away from me.

What.

Edit: The feeling of watching the Mini-Nuke bounce (Can they even do that?) off of not just Lanius, but the cliff next to him and explode right next to me can pretty much be summarized as :wtc:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mini_nuke_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)

loaded this?

No, it was definitely the Big Kid-for starters, I made sure to load it specifically against the Legate, and second, it exploded on impact with the cliff next to me.

Edit: Also, after I reloaded and killed the Legate, Cannibal Johnson did a few laps around me during the final cutscene and the game froze on the very last frame. If this isn't the proper ending to New Vegas I don't know what is.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 9, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

rope kid posted:

Big Kids don't bounce. All Mini-Nukes other than Timed will explode on impact.

I'm pretty sure it was a glitch of some sort-in all my efforts to replicate the shot, the Timed Mini-Nukes don't act at all like the original shot did (Especially since they don't explode inside VATS) and all the other Mini-Nukes act like they usually do, i.e. exploding on impact and killing/wounding the Legate and/or me. (After reloading after the original shot and killing the Legate and finishing the game, it bugged out in several other ways, with Cannibal Johnson wandering around the ending slide room and the game freezing on the final end slide, for what it's worth.)

That being said, I've just fallen in love with all of the GRA weapons and ammo subtypes. The unique Plasma Caster and Gatling Laser in particular are just awesome, and the .50 MG Explosive rounds are extremely fun to play with. Absolutely fantastic DLC.

Edit: Also, the best shotgun in the game is Esther loaded with Tiny Tots and that is a fact. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 10, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It may be the fact that Forza 4 just came out and I've been driving around too much in my new '57 T-Bird, but I think that a vehicle-centric Fallout: Detroit would be the best thing ever. Just imagine it-scrounging around in the ruins of Downtown Detroit looking for alcohol to fuel your post-apocalyptic '58 Cadillac, braving strafing runs from raiders in B-24s based at Willow Run. :allears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Esther loaded with Tiny Tots. Best shotgun in the game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

V!ntar posted:

Ok, so I got this:

*Riot Shotgun for close encounters
*Automatic Rifle for "spray" situations
*Oh, Baby and Pushy if I run out of ammo/want to knockdown people easily
*Medicine Stick for long range shooting
*Esther, when I want blow poo poo up

Best build, or bestest build? :smug:

Replace the Riot Shotgun with Esther loaded with Tiny Tots and you're golden. In fact, Esther with Tiny Tots is the best weapon in every situation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Syrant posted:

Maybe I remember incorrectly but wasn't Honest Hearts supposed to add .45's into the games leveled lists and not just exist in the DLC? I haven't seen a single one in my new playthrough. I thought rope kid said that they added the ammo/weapons to the wasteland.

It adds them to vendor lists, but not to anything else.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yodzilla posted:

In reference to this, it's really not. There are less than 10 deathclaw in the entire DLC and some are optional. You mostly fight against normal dudes and really easy new enemies.

That being said, the Deathclaws that you do encounter, particularly Rawr and the Irradiated Deathclaws, are loving murder machines. They level with you, so at 45 even a regular deathclaw's going to have 700 HP and deal 350 damage per attack.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

SO THATS WHY they're destroying me. Goddamn.

Funnily enough, according to the Wiki the Irradiated Deathclaws actually lack the DT normal Deathclaws have, so I was able to simply mow through them with the Thompson.

Edit: Courier's Mile, the area that's opened up after you accidentally launch the nuke at the Ashton Silo. It's a bastard area, with lots of fast, high powered Deathclaws and marked men to spoil your day. It's definitely THE hardest area to clear through at the highest levels of the game.
VVV

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 20, 2011

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheHoosier posted:

So I'm doing a pro-Legion run blind, meaning I don't look up the quests in advance to see how best to approach them from a Legion standpoint, or even whether I can help the Legion at all during the quest.

I take on the quest Birds of a Feather, get all the way to the fourth part when the NCR helps spring a trap on the Legion, and promptly get all :stare: as they get cut down. I tell ED-E to wait so we don't incur any negative rep for the Legion and wonder how best to handle this...

Back at the Silver Rush, I walk outside, tell ED-E to wait for me and storm back in. I toss on a Stealth Boy, swap the Van Graff Key Gloria has with a Tin Grenade, and beat it to the back door while her giblets are raining on her brother. The poor assholes barely have time pull their guns and bark obscenities before I'm situated in the convenient little window.

"Nice plasma rifle, bruh.." :smug:

12 25mm High Explosive grenade rounds later from Mercy and the place looks like a tornado of death guts and spittin' rear end went through.

I love this game. Ave Caesar.

:ssh: Mercy uses 40 Mike Mike.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

50 Foot Ant posted:

That would be the X-Box game according to No Mutants Allowed.

I think that's according to everyone, up to and including Bethesda.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're going to use the second one, why not just noclip to the exit? That's pretty much the same thing.

And you're missing the easiest way of getting the gold: stealth boy up, wait for Elijah to walk out, sneak crit his face into oblivion, stash all the gold on his corpse and then shove his corpse against the forcefield.

Run around the other way as fast as you can (should only take a couple tries), crouch next to his corpse on the other side of the forcefield, then switch to third person and rotate the camera until you see the option to loot his corpse. This is also how to steal Colonel Autumn's badass coat and your dad's stupid jumpsuit in Fallout 3, by the way. Grab the bars, then slowly walk out.

If you time it right you'll have about three beeps left before you blow up just as you're accessing the elevator (if you time it just right the last beep will go off just as you're accessing the elevator, and as you load onto the villa map your head explodes). Enjoy the new pile of gold in your safehouse that you must never spend because you're OCD about uniques.

My method was pretty similar, but didn't require manipulating the camera. If you stand right next to the forcefield, you can actually dump stuff through it, to pick up on your way out. In this way, I was able to carry out everything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

robot roll call posted:

First playthrough of any Fallout game right now, I am loving it. I have some questions though. First, how the hell do I get into the Boomer's town? I got the page from the guy with the instructions but I am still getting the poo poo blown out of me every time.

Second, I got Benny up to the penthouse alone to talk. Could I have blown his head off with the silenced .22 hidden on me? I just want to know, I wish I had tried but I've done too much since that save to go back and I am enjoying living with the consequences of what I do. This game does a great job of making you feel like your decisions have a real impact.

Best option? Hug the left-side cliff and run like hell to the fence. That's what I've done every time, and the most I've ever gotten is a crippled leg.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Avocadoes posted:

I'm kinda new to the Fallout lore, but here's a dumb question which I think probably gets asked a lot. New Vegas takes place in 2281, how come everything feels like the 1950's only with huge convoluted machines like explosive atomic cars and clunky robots? I like the style, because its quite refreshing from other games that take place 'in the future'. But how is everything still all old fashioned? My guess is the Great War, but that started in 2077 and even then that's over 100 years from 1950.

Also looks like I'm going to reinstall this and maybe play as some hotshot gunslinger.

Pretty much the base premise of Fallout is "Let's take what the people of 1955 thought 2077 was going to be like, then blow it all up and set the game a hundred years afterwards."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Saoshyant posted:

Oops. Let's pretend I sneaked in during the night and killed him too.

Even Ropekid has stated that Colonel Hsu is pretty much the only truly good person the NCR has in its upper ranks. If you're going for a "What's best for everyone in the long run" ending, you've got to let him live.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Corte posted:

Sorry yes, it just seems odd I'd drink 256 bottles only to receive 7, reading I guess it gives a 5% chance of getting one but how the gently caress am I suppose to get the 50 required?

They're scattered throughout the wasteland in various areas, either in containers or simply lying on top of an out-of-the-way desk or something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Corte posted:

I've played plenty and am fairly thorough, I know star caps come off certain NPCs and are found in the environment. So far in 30hrs of this run I have 22, I figured bottles would fill it out, I suppose 5% of 256 is only 12.5ish. This is a pretty annoying quest to complete, why can't it have other solutions like high science to hack Festus or something!

Here's a list of locations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The one thing I never understood about Fallout 3 was why it was necessary to blow up everything related to the Enclave. Take the Mobile Crawler: A wonder of technology, an extremely powerful base, and would be a tremendous asset to the resource-stricken Brotherhood of Steel. Once you've entirely cleared it out, can you walk onto the Helipad and hand the keys over to Lyons? NOPE. Gotta blow it up! Same thing with Raven Rock. It's really frustrating that you can't try for a more peaceful solution, especially if you got Colonel Autumn to surrender at Project Purity.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The voice acting on that part was perfect. It really gets the point across that the Elder doesn't disagree with Veronica regarding the consequences of their current course, he just doesn't believe the Brotherhood should change. They would rather go extinct than compromise on their beliefs, they are true zealots.

I disagree: It's not that Elder McNamara doesn't think the Brotherhood should change, it's whether they can. Look at his potential replacement: Whereas McNamara is willing to compromise and even ally with the NCR, Hardin is intensely belligerent and the very first thing he does as Elder is to start up hostilities. There are also others in the Brotherhood (i.e. the Paladins who ambush you during Veronica's quest) who are so radical that they'd rather kill one of their own than question the Codex, putting McNamara into an extremely difficult political position.

The Brotherhood of Steel isn't necessarily bad. The main problem is that there are factions within the Brotherhood that have become intensely radicalized, and there is little room for those who disagree to argue. It is capable of change, but it will be a difficult process. That's why I prefer to ally them with the NCR, since it puts them down the right path.

(To those who would argue "Just kill them, they're a bunch of theocratic techno-fetishists", that may be true for some elements of the Brotherhood, but certainly not all-just look at Veronica. Hell, just think about the implications of destroying the bunker: There are undoubtedly dozens of innocent men, women, and especially children in Hidden Valley whose greatest crime was to have been born in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've got no problem sending Hardin to his death, but does that mean that a dozen kids should go with him?)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

rope kid posted:

I'm not positive, but what should happen following an NCR/BoS alliance is a confrontation between BoS Paladins and Col. Moore regarding NCR Heavy Troopers' use of salvaged power armor. The Paladins essentially tell Moore to have the Heavy Troopers take that poo poo off immediately and hand it over. The player, naturally, has to moderate the outcome.. If that never happens, the ending slides still say that NCR hands over its suits of salvaged power armor to the BoS.

Man, that's never happened to me, and that sounds awesome. Curse this game! :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Francois Kofko posted:

For about two lines. Then you kill every last one of those fuckers

I can think of no conceivable reason as to why you would want to prevent this.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Francois Kofko posted:

The moment I have to kill a bunch of ants in a solar array, I do not care about reason
also they're all bad people

...You're upset that they asked you to clear out the ants? Hell, for the Courier, that's hardly worth mentioning! And it gets you Thump-Thump! I think you're just jealous of their awesome B-29. :colbert:

Also, I don't really understand why they're bad people. Sure, they're somewhat xenophobic and somewhat trigger happy with the Artillery, but that's pretty understandable when you live in a world with giant mutated animals and multiple belligerent factions at your borders.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My brain refuses to comprehend this. This is a joke, right? It's got to be a joke. :negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Still haven't fired a nuke in the Mojave. Can't do it. FO3 was not a moral dilemma though.

You're really missing out. Esther loaded with Tiny Tots is the best shotgun in the game. :black101:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

eating only apples posted:

What's that one place in the Mojave that just has a couple of holograms walking silently around the room, not doing anything, not reacting to you, just... walking around. I remember being incredibly creeped out when I stumbled across it, before I did any of the DLCs, it's an awesome "oh god, what?" moment.

e: or was it in OWB? I played that first. It's all kind of muddled together 'cause I did it all in such a short amount of time...

I'm fairly sure it's one of the buildings in OWB.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yo you're melting down about lazy ambiguous villain design in a bad videogame ruining your perfect universe and that not being seen as a huge crisis, might want to, y'know, not do that.

Is it gonna blow your mind if I ask why the raiders wear bondage gear again? Where did they even find that poo poo? Why is the explanation for FEV being on the East Coast so lame? Why are military energy weapons apparently stuck together with hose clamps? Where did the scorpions come from? Why was there a nuclear war over oil when the cars are all atomic?

One word:

Plastics.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Where did Caesar find thousands of football uniforms?

Thousands of abandoned Rick's Sporting Goods stores.

They were stocking up for Black Friday 2077, you see.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bethesda would tell you that they came from the Super-Duper Mart in DC.

It's obvious that Ceaser took part of his inspiration for the look and equipment of the Legion from that great Pre-War equivalent of the Roman Gladiators-The National Football League. In his youth he watched old tapes of the most famous plays again and again-From the Greatest Game Ever Played of '58 to the RobCo Bowl of '072, and when he became leader of a new civilization, he realized that this may be his only chance to recreate the past. He sent his scouts far and wide, collecting memorabilia from the most distant lands. It was his goal to collect at least one piece of history from each of the 42 teams of the 2077 NFL, from the LA Jaguars to the Nevada Atomics. Since Football was so popular, it was easy to collect relics from all of the teams-save one. For this, he had to send a single man across the country, to the heart of Pre-War America. Even then, the search wasn't easy-it was only after years of fighting off raiders and subsisting on Mole-Rats that the scout was able to find his prize, hidden in an old, bombed out supermarket: The remains of the last ever Washington Redskins fan.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I like to think they're actually cutting up gecko or coyote or people or whatever leather into football padding because Caesar says so, and the other book he's read besides Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire was a Sports Illustrated volume

Ceaser's a Broncos fan. It's why he conquered Denver.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still maintain that the only FPS to ever to tactical combat "Right" was the Brothers in Arms series. I would sacrifice a hundred orphans if I could play ANY game that played in the same way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

J-Spot posted:

I think Still in the Dark is a good example of the right way to do these sorts of quests. It's an excuse to send you to points of interest you might otherwise miss. I think this is the only quest that points you toward Vault 11.

The shittiest quest in the game is probably Young Hearts. You ping pong between Nellis Crimson Caravan five or six times and nothing of interest ever happens. Actually, any quest related to the Boomers is pretty dull. I did Volare on my first play through, but every other time I slaughter the whole drat faction.

How can you slaughter the Boomers? The B-29 flying over the Dam is possibly one of the most iconic moments of New Vegas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

poptart_fairy posted:

Being declared a terrorist owns, but it's even better if you absolutely obliterate NCR operations - without raising your Legion rep - before meeting Caesar. He reels off the list of things you've done then says something like:

'I don't know what the gently caress you've got against the NCR, but we could use you.'

:haw:

I love how it can go the other way as well, with all your crimes against the Legion. The whole "Meeting Caesar" scene was done beautifully.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One minor detail-This Machine isn't a Sniper Rifle. THIS is the Machine in question:

:911:

Edit: If you've got Gun Runner's Arsenal, you can pick up the non-unique "Battle Rifle" from most merchants. It's not quite as :patriot: as This Machine, however.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's funny how you can turn pretty much everyone's playthrough into Mad Libs.

A [PREFERRED WEAPON TYPE] totin' [PROFESSION] finds themselves backing [FACTION] after receiving a bullet to the head. Can [HE/SHE] [LIBERATE/CONQUER/EAT] the Mojave Wasteland before the final battle at Hoover Dam?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, just finished Honest Hearts -- thanks for the above advice (everyone), got all the stuff I wanted packed out with relative ease. Planning on heading straight into Old World Blues next, so is there any particular advice going into that? Any weapons that are good to take, or does it take all my stuff again?

Bring as much ammo as you can carry. I (Very foolishly) only took about 200 rounds of .308 JSP (Amongst other types, though in similar quantities), and found myself scrounging for anything very quickly. If nothing else, you'll certainly learn to love the Proton Axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any suggestions on the last few perks I should take? I'm at 27 now, going to cap out at 35 due to Rope Kid's mod.

Build so far:

I'm caught between taking two ranks of toughness then maybe Light Touch, but I hate locking myself into one armor type even if I end up wearing light armor anyway all the time. Also considering maybe Thought You Died but it seems a lil' buggy. Any other suggestions for this build?

I think my next playthrough I might try working through the game without using VATS.

Jury Rigging is one of the best perks in the game, since it's the only thing that will allow you to repair a lot of the rare armors without spending a retarded amount of caps. I'd certainly recommend that.