Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

poptart_fairy posted:

So does anyone know why New Vegas crashes the moment I press 'Play Game' in the launcher? One day it was working perfectly, the next - after I completed it with the Mr House ending - it wasn't. I've reinstalled twice and have no mods, so this is really annoying. :(

Let me tell you about how I launch FNW:

• Launch through game list
  • Immediately crashes
  • Go to it's entry -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
  • Steam retrieves one single tiny file (It's 808 bytes every time)
  • Relaunch
  • Immediately crashes
  • Launch again
  • It either works now or if it crashes again this time I have to verify it again.

I have no idea why this happens, but when it crashes try verifying the game cache in Steam and then trying again a couple times and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Simon Draskovic posted:

Survival for Honest Hearts

How important is this? I'm about to start that DLC in the morning and since the Survival skill seems incredibly useless(not playing hardcore) I haven't put any points in it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

If you haven't found a workaround for it yet, what I had to do was go to the Steam folder where it is installed, and set the FalloutNVLauncer.exe file to run in compatibility mode. Worked fine from then on.

Hmmm, does this make Steam run in compatibility mode too? A post a bit before yours said that it does and makes Steam take a dump.

Do you continue to launch it through Steam or make a shortcut to the Launcher and run it directly?

I know I could just try it but I really don't want to screw my Steam installation.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm now playing through Honest Hearts and I've got to say, I am really enjoying it. I am actually enjoying exploring Zion more then I do the Mojave.

When I'm in the Mojave I continually miss large sections of the map and just feel like exploring is a chore, I frequently just go straight to quest objectives. There is something different about Zion, maybe because it's smaller, not so overwhelming. It's also nice being able to walk around without accidentally triggering another quest chain and then feel obligated to do it right then.

I'll either try and explore as much as I possibly can now or keep making trips back here when I finished the main quest.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
At what point in the main quest is there a "point of no return"?

Specifically, where should I be saving so I can reload and continue exploring without having areas inaccessible because it would "finish" the game, or what journal entry should I stop at so I can continue to play the game fully without finishing it?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Oh great, that's pretty handy, and made me look like an idiot. :downs:

Did Fallout 3 have this? I'm sure it didn't because I remember being pretty mad about the ending and not being able to keep playing, which is what prompted me to ask about it for this one.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, it's called Broken Steel and costs $4.99 :v:

Oh, I got F3 on release and spent way too much time with it, the only DLC I played after that was Operation Anchorage. I guess I should go back and play the rest of the DLC at some point but my backloggery is already full of unfinished games as it is.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

If you're tired of making fun of people who misunderstand the Confirmed Bachelor trait, guess who just found out for the first time that you can fire more than once in VATS? :doh:

Ok, I'm going to bite. How on earth were you unaware of this?

Do you just not use VATS normally so it's just a case of "I never use it so didn't know that", or you actually use it and just click once, then watch the animation, then do it again? I really am unsure how you even achieved this.

While we are stating things we didn't know, for the longest time I didn't know you could cycle through item types in the shop/container view. I thought how absolutely frustrating it was that you had a single window with all your items and had to hunt down looking for all your armor or all your guns. Turns out you can press the left and right arrow keys to filter through item categories like in your pipboy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I made a Fallout: New Vegas Character Calculator/Planner.

I got the formulas from the wiki, so I assume they are correct. I did a couple of builds to make sure it all adds up according to the values in the wiki and it seems correct.

Here is the direct link to the Google Spreadsheet.

Here is an example character to see how it should be filled out and what it looks like when it is done.

Also a tinyurl to the spreadsheet in case you want to share it around easier.

http://tinyurl.com/falloutnvcc

"File -> Make a Copy" to save it in your own Google docs and start playing with it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just went through Vault 11, very interesting. Made me seriously think about what would happen if a group of people were put in that situation. I seriously think that the solution would be to pick someone at random like the new Overseer decided to do. Although, you would get the same problem, poo poo would hit the fan because it looks like they are just trying to save their own skin and remain in power.

I doubt very much a normal group of people would stand by each other and decide not to pick someone to sacrifice, especially when they believe that they will all die because of it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Over 50 hours into this play-through and I only just figured out there is an option to change that drat "kill-cam" animation.

Commence public shaming.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't even know that was an option. Does it still mark the quest as complete and say you can go back to Yes Man and inform him that it has been "dealt with". I didn't want Cachino in charge either but I didn't really think I had much of a choice.

e: Also, last night I went out and collected about 30 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps to make it to a grand total of 50 that is required for the quest "The Legend of the Star". What a loving disappointment that was, still, the only reason I did it was because I had already talked to Festus, so the quest was now in my journal. :mad:

Xik fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 4, 2011

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Demitri Omni posted:

Have you used Pew Pew? It's pretty much the best energy pistol, short of the Alien Blaster, of course. The double-fire and ammo usage seems excessive at first, but the difference in damage output is totally worth it for an energy weapon user. Also, if you don't use energy weapons, disregard.

Ah right, I guess that must be the reason anyone would ever do it then. I don't use energy weapons so I didn't know the one you found next to that body was any good, I just completely disregard all energy weapons. I have pretty much all the skills at 100 that I care about at the moment (at level 25?), maybe I will max energy weapons next and play with them for a while.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

Has anyone heard any rumors about the DLC being released in-store like the DLC for GTA4 was? I'm under some ridiculous bandwidth limits so I'm reluctant to download them myself.

I'm sure there will be a "GOTY" edition that will hit retail which will contain all the DLC at some point, but this is purely speculative and I have no basis for making such a statement other then it seems like a logical thing to do.

Of course, that would mean purchasing the base game again...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I seriously want to do a "Hardcore on Hard" run with a Survival/Sneak/Melee build.

But after this run I still have about 100 other unfinished games in my backloggery :ohdear:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Seriously does anyone know how to fix this drat no music bug? The game won't play any music at all. Every other sound works great but no music.

Not really a "fix" I'm afraid but I can offer another "solution".

All the radio music as far as I can tell is located here:

code:
\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data\Sound\songs\radionv
So if you make a copy of it you can just play it in the background with another music player and turn off the in-game radio.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well I solved the music problem. Turns out it was a codec problem, not the game itself. One new codec install later and I'm immediately greeted by Johnny loving Guitar.

Really? How strange. What codec did you have to install to get it to work?

Pretty strange that the game would require a third party codec to play MP3 files.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I would just like to take this opportunity to say that hidden timers in video games are the most ridiculous game mechanic ever thought up. Either you allow the player to move at their own pace and explore the game world you build for them or you stick a loving timer in the corner so they know that time is an integral part of the challenge.

/rant.

To stay on topic:

Does anyone play with no companions? I must admit that the thought has crossed my mind. More so for when I do a hard/hardcore run then with my current game. Alternatively, if you always play with companions, do you always use the same ones or rotate them?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

Except for Tactics, I've never played a Fallout game with companions.
I think it's because when I first played Fallout 2, I didn't know companions were A Thing. I got it in my head that the Fallout series was about one wasteland savior doing all these things, and the endings always talk about him in the singular, or sorta vaguely allude to allies, so I never really warmed up to using companions in the other games.

I haven't played 1 & 2 (they are on my todo list) so I'm not sure if they had companion specific story content/quest but that is probably the only thing I would be concerned about missing if I went no companions.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceMost posted:

I live in a rural area so I have a ridiculously low bandwidth limit due to the ISPs available to me. I was hoping to download the DLC at the office today, stick the files on my zip drive, and take them home. Unfortunately, Steam seems to insist on downloading & installing automatically (which requires New Vegas to be installed), and I don't want to risk being chewed-out by IT and/or my manager if I torrent the files. :ohdear:

Since it sounds like you already have downloaded the full game through steam and you just want to download the DLC you could do it this way:

1. Go to your Steam installation eg:
    code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
  2. Copy over everything apart from the "steamapps" folder into a folder on your USB device. eg:
    code:
    E:\Steam
  3. Create an empty "steamapps" folder within that directory on your USB device
  4. Within the steamapps directory create an empty folder called "common"
  5. Then copy over the fallout new vegas folder from you Steam installation to the common folder on your USB device.
    So from here:
    code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas
    to
    code:
    E:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas
  6. At your work run "Steam.exe" from your USB device and once you purchase the DLC it will update Fallout with the DLC files.
  7. Once you get home delete the "fallout new vegas" folder on your home machine and copy over the one from your USB device.

Make sure to create backups of everything before you start messing with your Steam install if you have a limited cap in case poo poo goes wrong.

Some things to note:

Once you purchased the DLC I don't think you can use steam to launch the game unless it has acquired the DLC files so make sure you can get the content somehow once you buy it.

You should probably uninstall Steam from your work machine if you have installed it when you go to run it off your USB device, unless you specifically want to do the copying to and from your work machine like you did on your home machine.

If steam fails to run, the answer is always to delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished Dead Money. Not a fan.

I really didn't enjoy most of it. I liked the idea of those vending machines and the dialogue with Christine (when she couldn't talk). They were the highlights for me, the rest I just wanted to get it over with. Overall Honest Hearst was much more enjoyable, I really enjoyed exploring Zion and can see myself going back there in another play-through but I don't think I'll ever play through Dead Money again.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Apparently I have a "permanent guest" in my hotel room at the Lucky 38. :wtc:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
So I just beat it, have notebook of saves at various times and can quickly go back and do the ending sequence with either House, NCR or Yes man. Legion is out of the question and will need a new play through for that one.

Went with NCR for this first finish and you'll never guess what happened. 3 "slides" in during the ending sequence and the thing loving crashes to desktop saying the display driver crashed. :argh:

e: added spoiler tags just in case.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Smith posted:

It's worth reading all of the logs in order.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark_terminal_entries

Oh cool, it's great to read them again in order. I loving love Zion so much, I think whenever I do my next play-through I will be going there right at the start.

In the logs, what does this mean:

quote:

Less than a month's water left. Been mopping condensation off cave walls, wringing shirt into bottles. Trading calories for H2O. Food stocks holding. Thanks, USGS.

The bold part. He obviously doesn't mean it in the literally sense, in that going out and actually trading food supplies for water because that doesn't make sense in the context of him being trapped in a cave unable to get out.

I can only assume it is some kind of technique that is taught in the military?

Stealth Edit: Spoiler quote.

E:

Kharmakazy posted:

He means he is working for water. Work burns calories.

Well, that answers that, thanks. Now I feel like a total idiot :downs:

Xik fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 11, 2011

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

I could not let Daniel pussy his way out of the valley since even an idiot would notice that the tribals would just follow them out.

Daniel's solution was bullshit. Zion was their home, it doesn't make sense that they would just up and leave.

Part of their charm was that they were peaceful and spirituality played a large role in their tribe, but that makes it even more infuriating. Why would they give up Zion, the land that holds so much to them? If anything they would be more willing to fight to prevent their "sacred land" from being abused and trashed.

I obviously sided with the Joshua on my play-through but I did reload a save and side with Daniel just to see the ending. To counter-point what I quoted you on:

If you side with Daniel and protect them while they escape you blow up the passageway on the Zion side after they have left so they can't be followed.

Jerusalem: Regarding the "bad guy"

He doesn't have to die, I can't remember what skill the check was for(I think it was speech) but you could leave him alive and teach Joshua "compassion".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Eiba posted:

I would love for the post-apocalypse to be overgrown. Not necessarily over the top mutant jungle overgrown, but just things like trees growing out of old houses, and roads being broken asphalt choked with grass.

I agree, more "overgrown" locations would be great. I don't really care what the reason for it is, even if the reason is sort of shoe horned in there I think it would make a great setting. Especially if there were factions/groups of people that actually take advantage of it, instead of just thinking of it as an annoyance. A sort of "living of the land vibe" would be great, a land with numerous radiation pockets and other natural traps. More player vs environment rather then good vs evil factions I think is what I am saying.

One of my favorite places in New Vegas was that vault that was overgrown, although that wasn't really natural and was the result of genetic experimentation, it was still a great setting.

Eiba posted:

Basically, I want a villain with a better motivation than, "This world is corrupt! I will destroy it to make room for a new one!" Van Buren sounds like it would have suffered from that lame kind of villain as well.

Although I liked the Legion as an enemy, isn't that basically what their goal was? Purge everyone and live in some kind of utopia based on an era in human history?

I enjoy reading your posts btw Eiba, keep it up.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

LLCoolJD posted:

Good idea; my guy will join the Legion so I've kept a nice set of NCR armor for use as a future disguise.

That's an entire part of the game I've never been able to play. Can't use any kind of faction armor for fear of wiping out all my reputation with every faction. I'm surprised anyone uses them as it's documented in the Wiki that it happens and a google search brings up threads over various boards complaining about it.

In one save file it even got to the point where I was consistently able to reproduce the bug and every time I would remove an NCR piece of gear it would reset all faction reputation.

Not fun.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

Just take the perk that lets you make your own.

That's a Lonesome Road perk FYI, so those with only the base game can't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
No one has mentioned the news about the Ultimate Edition yet so I guess I will.

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition

Includes:
  • Dead Money
  • Honest Hearts
  • Old World Blues
  • Lonesome Road
  • Courier's Stash
  • Gun Runners' Arsenal

Release Date:

North America: February 7, 2012
Europe: February 10, 2012

Price: