Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Hey Dead Man Posting, you might want to warn the readers that the "What is Fallout: New Vegas?" section reveals quite a bit about the plot (i.e. everything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Snark posted:

That maize don't fertilize itself.

I've found that the 3-second delayed spawns of HH are more insidious. Fast travel, check that the coast is clear, quicksave, three green geckos teleport in...

Oh man. Can't even remember how many times I fell to that trap. Except, in my case, they usually were giant loving cazadors. :negative:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceMost posted:

Is Dead Money universally considered the worst of the DLCs?
Honest Hearts was a lot of fun, and I am considering playing Old World Blues next, but I hated almost every second of Dead Money and I'd rather not play something similar.
No, Dead money is considered to be the best of the DLCs. Really though, it's really divisive. People tend to either hate it or love it, with little opinions between. I'm strictly in the love camp, but I can understand why others seem to dislike it.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 16, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

They start appearing periodically after your reputation with the Legion drops low enough. Either Shunned or Hated, I believe. Whether or not you kill Vulpes has nothing to do with it (although killing him and his men openly will probably lower your reputation enough).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I don't know why anyone would not take Small Frame on a non-hardcore build.
Stimpacks (and supers) are being vomited out of the populace in such a large quantity that you may as well bathe in them.

Now, if they put in Stim addiction like FO2...
I'd say that Skilled and Good Natured are a better choices in most cases. Stats play a relatively minor role on Fallout games; skill points are much more important.

Smol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 26, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

notZaar posted:

I may as well ask - is there a vendor who sells magazines? I never have enough since I used them basically on every check I've encountered.

Like every one of them that also sells food. Julie Farkas is an exceptionally good source too, if your reputation with the Followers is high enough.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

Cross-posting from the TFR games thread.

Harumph.

I've decided to play New Vegas again; it has been installed on my computer untouched all this time and worked fine when I stopped playing it. Before I picked it back up though, I decided to check if there was any new patches that fixed some of the bugs that were present when first released (I haven't played since the first couple weeks it came out). I was happy to find that the game was up to patch 7, so I updated it to the newest version, and now the sound doesn't work. To be more specific, voice acting and most sound effects don't work. Music, ambient noise (crickets, etc.) and gunfire work fine, but everything else is dead silent. I knew something was up before I even got into the actual game, because the menu no longer made any clicking noises when going through it.

I've tried about a million different tricks, hacks and mods that are supposed to fix this problem, but nothing works, including wiping it from my system entirely and starting again from scratch (without the patches).

I'm out of ideas and ten hours of my time (I've been working on it all day), and the game simply isn't worth playing with so much of the audio missing.

I'm hoping someone has encountered and conquered this problem already.

You might want to start by purchasing a legit version of the game. The only places you'll see things like "Patch 7" is torrent sites.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Every Sunset Sarsaparilla bottle has a 5% chance of containing a star cap.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Last week you folks were talking about some rapist in North Vegas. This may be the only quest I haven't ever encountered. Can somebody rock some details my way?

Make a visit to Aerotech Office Park. Talk to the inhabitants there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

With Broken Steel installed Dogmeat will have 500 hit points per level. He cannot die.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think it is. Or at least high luck doesn't seem to give a big benefit.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I'm just using a standard 54 card deck and my win-loss ratio is around 50:1. The AI can't play Caravan at all.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I'm just going to put forward that I have absolutely no idea how to play Caravan correctly and I am not going to read through the novel that is the rulebook because I could just play the gambling games I already know and enjoy in Vegas.

You could read this.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Caravan is actually quite fun, but it really should be played with a standard 54-card deck. And, well, against someone who isn't braindead.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Scorchy posted:

Yeah I put aside my current FNV run for Skyrim :(

After the initial honeymoon phase was over I realize Bethesda shouldn't be allowed to script quests or write for games again.

You mean "Go to X, kill Y and optionally retrieve Z" isn't a viable formula for every quest in the game? In all seriousness, I agree. Skyrim is pretty fun, but I'm already yearning to play some New Vegas.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Chairman Mao posted:

Fallout 1?

Except for the kill phrase bit.

E: Well, I guess you could interpret convincing Master that his plan is full of poo poo as a kill phrase, as he asks you to leave and blows himself up after that.

Smol fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 24, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

All of them are worth it. Honest Hearts is perhaps be the weakest (but it also had the shortest development schedule, so it's understandable), but all of them are easily worth $10. At $2.50, they're practically a steal.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Very easy question that I don't know the answer to: On PC, how do I minimize the game to access my desktop?

Alt-tab doesn't work?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

With Logan's Loophole and the DLCs, it's pretty nice to have a mod to reduce the XP gain. The DLCs give absurd amounts of XP, so if you do them fairly early, you'll hit the level cap in no time.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Holy poo poo, I just bought this game two days ago and I've already racked up 25 hours of gameplay. I never played a Bethesda game before, and I didn't expect just how fluid it feels to be able to go anywhere and just happen upon all sorts of little things. Before you know it, you're embroiled in the middle of a quest, you look at a clock, and it's 3 am.

Just one little delivery job, and all of a sudden people start offering you world conquest.

It's an Obsidian game. Bethesda is the publisher. :ssh:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It's pretty much the only interesting thing to ever come out of the SW universe.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Positronic Spleen posted:

Graham didn't even get an ending slide, what the hell?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Honest_Hearts_endings#Joshua_Graham :confused:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

eating only apples posted:

That's taking the idea of the Vexillarius Helmet a little too far...

Now this I just cannot accept :v: I listen to the NV soundtrack on a regular basis, both the radio tracks and the incidental music, some of which is really nice. I'm crazy about the whole wild west thing the music has got going on. Also, Big Iron is literally my most played song ever. I don't know how that happened, I guess I just can't get enough of that handsome ranger. :allears:

New Vegas soundtrack is great, it just could use more variety. Big Iron et al. are great songs, but you still don't want to hear each one every 15 minutes.

E: VVV Oh yeah, I suppose that could be the case.

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 30, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Even if it's not going on sale, it's worth waiting for the Ultimate edition to release, because it will probably be cheaper than buying the game+all DLC at full price currently.

The best option will likely be to buy it during the Christmas sale. At -75% off (the discount during the Summer and Autumn sale daily deals), the price of the base game plus all DLCs adds up to $16.5.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Welp, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills, but still... :stare:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

helllloooooo to you too unguarded bank vault in Boulder City!!

Is this from a mod?

(Never seen anything like that myself and the wiki doesn't seem to know about it either)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

Here's a quick question--the amount of implants you can buy is equal to your END, right? Does the END implant itself count? What I'm asking is, can I start with 6 END, buy an END implant to bring it up to 7, and then use that to buy all the other stat boosting ones?

No. But Endurance gained by Intensive Training perks raises the implant cap.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It's filled with completely inane questions though. No idea why he bothers answering to half of them.

E: The current questions seem to be a bit better.

Smol fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 14, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The different leveled Ghost People have up to a tenfold difference in hit points, while leveling up your skills can only only double your weapon damage. So doing Dead Money at a high level probably makes them pretty bullet sponge-y. Not sure if hit points affect how much damage you need to do to cripple limbs though.

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 25, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I was going to write a big long counterpoint post about how the player's father in FO3 is one of the best and most believable side characters I've seen in a Fallout game, but I won't bother because I know it's going to be met with "Fallout NV is still better lul (doesn't specify a reason but it totally is)".

If you're being serious, please do. I'd be genuinely interested to hear your reasoning.

chelsea clinton posted:

Pyro.

gently caress yeah. :black101:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Try to kill Yes Man, House, Caesar, and as many NCR as you can find. Let me know how many of them actually stay dead (Yes Man won't).

Yes Man and Vendortron are the only unkillable NPCs in New Vegas.

E: VVV Yes I forgot the kids. Anyhow, allowing that is an instant adult-only rating in many corners of the world, so it's easy to see why they're unkillable.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 15, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Thank you for saying exactly what I said in the post you quoted I guess???

No problem. What the hell was your point then?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

There's also that the game mechanics have been refined in new Vegas as well as improving the engine

I think that the simple thing of getting rid of Damage Resistance as the sole damage mitigation mechanism did wonders for the gameplay. Damage Resistance scales really badly and makes buffing the enemy hitpoints — either via DR or base hitpoints — the only way to increase difficulty. Damage Threshold, on the other hand, allows the game designer to create enemies that have a thick armor, but what can be bypassed with high-damage weapons and/or things like armor-piercing bullets. Or they can make enemies that have a lot of hit points but no armor, which allows high DPS weapons that have no armor piercing capabilities (i.e. low damage per bullet) to shine.

In Fallout 3, the only thing that matters is DPS. A weapon that fires one 100-damage bullet per second is always as good as a weapon that fires ten 10-damage bullets per second. That is why there are enemies with ridiculous amounts of hit points (like Albino Radscorpions) in Fallout 3: the only way of making the game more challenging as it progresses was to increase enemy hit points, so they did exactly that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

gohuskies posted:

You've got a bit of a point with this - FO3's Wasteland had more stuff in it than the Mojave, and the stuff going on was denser. But that's partly the result of NV's designers making a realistic recreation of the Mojave.

While this may be true I'd wager that the 18-month development schedule and the smaller size of the team play a far bigger part.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah, about giving companions weapons, I know that you need to supply them with ammunition, but what if you give them a gun that uses the same type of ammunition that their default weapon uses? Do they have infinite ammo then, or do they need a resupply?

It only applies to their default weapons.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Makes me wish New Vegas had a dash button though.

Edit: Hell gently caress it, someone mod in dragonshouts.

Project Nevada has one (among other things).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

cat with hands posted:

How long production time did FNV have and how large was the team?

18 months. I don't know exactly how big they are, but I'd guess around 150, with 50-75% of them working on FNV.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just play it from first person. The 3rd person camera doesn't work well in any of the Bethesda engine games.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Jewce posted:

Can anyone steer me to the Fallout 3 thread? Is it archived now or something? I searched, but could not find anything at all. I'm just looking for character builds. I've already found a bunch online obviously, but you know, goons are the best.

It doesn't matter. As long as your INT isn't stupidly low, you can trivially max all your skills. In the end, every Fallout 3 character is identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Actually, the damage bonus is only +20% with rope kid's mod. Anyhow, the All-American and Marksman Carbine are decent weapons, but they can't really compete with all the overpowered DLC weapons.