Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hey rope kid, Fallout New Vegas is loving awesome, warts and all. Thank you to everybody that created it. It’s literally the main reason I bought a SteamDeck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Just to be perfectly clear, I bought a Steamdeck specifically just to play Fallout New Vegas. The fact that it can play so many other games and emulators is pure gravy to me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

A couple of takeaways watching episode 1:

Cousins fooling around is totally acceptable in the vault :barf:

Social skills have deteriorated somewhat, which is to be expected.

The feeling of Fallout 4 is very much here.

E:: wait a minute, Vault 33 must have a door that connects directly to Vault 32? How the gently caress does that work?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 11, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I watched the first ep last night and I didn't hate it

it leans hard on the goofiness and super over the top violence, which helps. the power armor still does not look good

The power armor is bugging me too because if you look closely it's the same identical CG model just copied and pasted.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Megazver posted:

It's supposed to be practical.

For wide shots, the power armor definitely looks computer generated.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I’m pretty sure the 1950s represent a time of extreme optimism and naivety, which is why is works so well against the arrogant destruction of civilization, but that could just be my opinion.

Watch all 8 episodes before you decide if you like the show. I really enjoyed it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's a bad show, but it's not specifically a bad show because it's a weird, bad continuation of the storyline of the West Coast, but because it's exactly the sort of take on Fallout you'd expect from the Westworld writing team, which means everything is subsumed into mystery boxes and a grand conspiracy with other character motivations and materialistic concerns being completely subordinated to that.

Please actually watch the show until the end. It’s not a continuation, it’s a reimagining and a pretty good one at that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Nah, they were well aware that 50's optimism and post apocalyptic results make for a great contrast. It's pretty obvious in a lot of the humour.

Exactly. You said it better than I.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I did. Nothing in the ending really invalidates anything I said. Obviously you're free to have a different opinion, but I didn't state anything wrong specifically about the facts.

lol, I’m pretty sure your post is what we out here in the Wasteland call an opinion, just like mine is.

I binged all 8 episodes. When I do that that tells me that I really enjoyed the show.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Okay? I didn't say nobody could enjoy the show. You specifically told me to watch to the end because I was wrong and the show wasn't a continuation but some kind of bold reimagining. It isn't. It's written clearly as a sequel to the first two games and arguably New Vegas, although based on the timeline, New Vegas also shouldn't have happened.

That was in response to me explaining why I think it's a bad show, which I stand by, it's mystery box bullshit that plays deftly with aesthetics it ultimately doesn't really want to fill with genuine meaning.

I really enjoyed the show because it’s quite good. But it does not feel like New Vegas at all, which might be why it bothers you so much. It does however feel very very much like 3 and 4.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It actually doesn't, Bethesda's games pride themselves on their sense of place, which is totally absent in the TV show. What remains is the iconography.

lol, im starting to think you haven’t actually watched the show because it absolutely nails the Fallout 3/4 vibe.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

watho posted:

i think they instead should have adapted fallout new vegas with mark wahlberg as the courier and mila kunis as mr house

All you need to do is wait for the inevitable Family Guy Fallout episode.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 12, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I'm talking about is the sense of geographical space and of experiencing a journey. There's no sense of where places relate to each other, nor of the time and harships encountered while traveling, only a bunch of panning shots before the plot contrives another meeting between the principal cast members.

It's more last season of Game of Thrones than a Bethesda title in that way. But, as I said, there's a lot of the same *iconography* and designs, yes, the prop department nailed it and even included the Fallout 1 10mm gun, which was cool.

Walking, or exploring is a huge part of the games but it doesn’t really translate well to a tv show.

And lol at comparing it to season 8.

You can actually tell what’s happening in every single shot in Fallout, unlike whatever the hell the last season of GOT was.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, we've had a very recent example of a TV show based on a videogame property that managed to convey a sense of place and journey and the passage of time quite well (The Last of Us), so I'm not persuaded that the production team simply hit the limits of the medium. Besides, if you take out Bethesda's weird storytelling instincts (Fallout the TV show's bad in a very specific way that isn't the way Bethesda is bad at telling stories, you can tell because, for example, a lot of the dialogue is competent to good) and the sense of place, what is left of their take on Fallout? Ultra-violence and some visual designs?

I’m pretty certain you haven’t watched the show because the vertibird scenes coupled with the long overhead shots of characters trudging over miles of desert give a pretty amazing sense of scale of the Wasteland.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't know what to tell you dude, except that I have, and that your shtick of accusing me of not having watched the show is kind of annoying, lmao.

There are long shots and wide shots that show the scope of the Wasteland in the show, so I don’t understand how you couldn’t have a sense of scale.

E: you also seem to be trying to engage this show like it’s The Sopranos or Breaking Bad or The Wire. Fallout is none of these shows, but it’s a really good Fallout TV show.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 12, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

New Vegas remains the best game in the series and one of the best games of all time.

I bought my Steamdeck just to play New Vegas.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I've been feeling it's a "time to replay fallout" mood, are there versions of 3/nv less crashy on modern hardware than others?

3/NV are absolutely rock solid on my Steamdeck.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cleaning my basement.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Intensely jealous of you. Lost my guide ages ago.

I thought I'd lost it too. I was very surprised to find it in a box in a lonely corner of my basement.

I just found this.

https://annarchive.com/files2/Fallout%20Vault%27s%20Dweller%20Survival%20Guide.pdf

Please enjoy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Dang. Pretty sure mine is long gone. I might have the CD stashed somewhere but I have no idea where, I haven't touched a disc in 15 years.

I know this is a little off topic, but you seem to be someone that might appreciate something else I found:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice. I don't think I ever had the box, just a secondhand CD.

One of the very, very best games I've ever played.

Even the Body of The Many, though it''s a huge pain in the rear end.

To get back on topic:

1) I binged all 8 episodes in a single night because it was so good.

2) Fallout 3 and New Vegas are absolutely rock solid on my Steamdeck; I've never had a single crash even after hours of playtime; Proton is some kind of wizard magic.

3) New Vegas is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

just to make sure i understand this with crystal clarity; one of the designers of Fallout New Vegas posts in this thread?