Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
If you want to meta-game the "least evil" route, it would be a good-karma independent vegas under your all knowing philosopher king courier. With enough speech and barter you can get pretty much a better ending for everyone, though it seems a little unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It always seemed to me that each of the DLC's was meant to reward certain builds and punish others for being over specialized. Dead Money rewards the workbench, speechcraft, stealth, and VATS characters while punishing run-n-gun and Hi-Tech ones.
Old World Blues rewards melee, energy weapons, explosives and Science builds while punishing stealth, bullet using, and survival and has little in the way of merchant/speechcraft checks. Honest Hearts Is all about survival, bullets, talking, and taking perks that target certain conditions and enemy types while making it difficult for those with low strength/endurance and rely on energy weapons or big guns. Lonesome Road finally is all about explosives heavy armor and big guns while not being very good for stealth or smaller weapons.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know people always commend New Vegas's writing for being "Morally Grey" or "Mature" or "Hegelian Dialectic". But the thing I love about it is how "Mythic" and larger than life it is. The way the ending slides talk about things as if their written centuries later after the events of the game and all the characters have been mythologized. For instance they used the fact they couldn't refer to the player character by name to make "Courier" into some kind of messianic title complete with symbolically dying and being resurrected. The Burned Man as a vengeful spirit. How Sierra Madre is treated as a literal rather than metaphorical hell. The Think Tank and how different characters confront them as if they were Fey beings that one had to outwit like in a parable. Or the way that the ending of Dead Money refers to "The Divide" as being like some kinda cultural touchstone, something that in the future everybody knows about, like they were taught about it a children around the campfire.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Fisto is representative of the "everyman". Caught in the maelstrom between the grand destinies of legends who decide the fate of nations, he just wants to fist.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There is a problem with the dlcs, especially OWB and LR, where they add all this fun new stuff but they’re clearly designed as endgame content that no amount of level scaling can compensate for. Which means once you‘ve gotten all your fun new toys you don’t have any content left to actually use them in, vanilla or dlc. Dead Money is the only one I think really works at a relatively wide range of levels.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah every one of the NV dlcs is designed around making you interact or use some function or other of the game that no one used in vanilla, because 99.9% of players made a Gun VATS crit build. OWB is asking you, begging you, to use melee and energy weapons. gently caress them though I’m plinking away at Robo-Scorpions with my cowboy pistol and you can’t stop me.

Similarly Dead Money and Honest Hearts try and force you to use all those various crafting systems you’ve ignored. Lonesome Road wants you to learn to appreciate how awesome giant cannons and explosions are and actually make you use rad-x/away outside of that single vault.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Bumhead posted:

Stuff like this always makes me realise my brain might be too rotten to ever truly appreciate New Vegas (as much as I do like it).

I always end up playing as some basic bitch vagabond meandering the wasteland with a silver tongue and proficient with his trusty rifle and cowboy hat. There's people out here playing as hideous undead menaces and I want in.

This time, This time I tell myself, I will finally do a explosives/melee/heavy weapons/evil karma/other faction/LCK/CHR build, as I immediately make my twelfth good karma AGL/PER/INT gun/stealth/repair/speech character. 3 or New Vegas, doesn’t matter.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Mod that just boots up an emulator with a rom of the most recent Yugioh game every time you challenge an npc to caravan.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

wizard2 posted:

THE MODDERS AND FANS WILL FIX STARFIELD
um..... lol. haha.

I love the conspiracy theory that Bethesda can’t release a Starfield creation kit because it would reveal all the spaceships are just hats on npcs like the fallout 3 subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I still annoyed 15 years later that there’s no unique Riot Shotgun. I like to be decked out in all the bespoke super items so I feel special. It’s disheartening to be firing the Shadow of the Lord of the Apocalypse and then have to switch to standard gun to deal with a charging deathclaw. Not even Gun Runners Arsenal added one!