Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Fallout isn't LOTR. It's hard to ruin an IP where the initial marketing push was "Victims don't just perish, they get cut in half, melt into a pile of goo, or explode like a blood sausage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder how seriously the government would've taken the vault programs at the time, since the world ending all at once is something that wouldn't really seem "real" until it happens. A number of vaults seem to be made for advertising or proof of concept purposes.

The government certainly didn't trust Vault-Tec to create the vaults for the government personnel. Vault-Tec probably was an entirely free market for profit endeavor.

Plotwise, when the bombs fell the world was 25 years into the resource wars, and America was in the 11th year of the hot war with China.

And in terms of the context and themes/feel of the source material, nuclear destruction was something that was treated as very real, and perpetually imminent. Nuclear hysteria and fallout shelters are completely logical in the Fallout universe.

steinrokkan posted:

I was under the impression the whole Vault project was just a covert government operation under the auspices f the future Enclave. Though I don't recall how much of that was established by FO 1/2. IIRC most of it was conceptualized during the work on Van Buren?

It was nonexistent in FO1 but FO2 introduced the concept of the vaults being social testing. Mostly it was revealed near the end of the game, in a conversation with the president.

In his vlog Tim Cain revealed that his original conception of the vaults was as a testing program for an interstellar generation ship, but this is noncanon.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I finished the tv series. The first two episodes were a little weak and overly gratuitous/fanservicy but it becomes a much better actual show later on. Excited for season 2.

IMO the show is a slight retcon to New Vegas as it changes some of the context but it doesn't really contradict anything plot relevant.

As far as I can tell, there was absolutely zero reason to put the bombing of Shady Sands 4 years before New Vegas started, instead of like 2 years after, so the cynic in me thinks it was all ambiguous on purpose to stir the pot and generate internet controversy.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think you understood what I meant. What I'm talking about is the sense of geographical space and of experiencing a journey. There's no sense of where places relate to each other, nor of the time and harships encountered while traveling, only a bunch of panning shots before the plot contrives another meeting between the principal cast members.

It's more last season of Game of Thrones than a Bethesda title in that way. But, as I said, there's a lot of the same *iconography* and designs, yes, the prop department nailed it and even included the Fallout 1 10mm gun, which was cool.

It's lore accurate to Fallout 1 and 2 where travelling from Shady Sands to boneyard took 30 seconds IRL and is dependent on your framerate

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

A question about the tv show: Am I supposed to like/empathise with Maximus, or just laugh at him?

He's pathetic and idealistic at the start of the story, and his arc involves (mostly) growing beyond that. So both really.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

this was stated almost plainly, with the slightest bit of inference and deduction needed by the audience. i didn't even think it was a controversy lmao

TBH I still don't get the timeline. When did Rose leave? Was she living in "fallen" Shady Sands, because it seemed pretty nice in the flashbacks?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It's the opposite, I can't figure out how the show is continuitous with itself after they tossed one out to the deranged fanboys

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I want it to be the Yes Man ending and it turns out the entire time that Hank was talking to the House avatar on the big screen he was being tricked by Yes Man behind a literal curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I think the entire concept of tribals was just directly stolen from Road Warrior (the ending) and Thunderdome.