Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I like that this thread doesn't have a stupid title so I know instantly what it's about and that there aren't any gang tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

As soon as I hit post I remembered that NMA exists.

Wanted to post Fallout: New Vegas v Planet of the Apes here but I can't find the image :(

NMA was 100% correct about Fallout 3 and they liked Fallout: New Vegas so I don't get the criticism.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

I think the criticism was directed at the sheer anger that they displayed. FO3 got the Civ V treatment, imo. It is a good game that somehow earned the ire of some dedicated fans and has since been panned as a shitheap despite being a pretty awesome reinvention of a series.

Both of those games are total garbage though. Fallout 3 was embarrassing Fallout fanfiction and Civ V is permanently crippled by the unworkable One Unit Per Tile battle system that ruined the basic economics of earlier games and to top it off the AI still can't play the game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Assumethisisreal posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god I want the Mad Bomber perk RIGHT NOW

lmao 2 goggles.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Next you'll tell me throwing a grenade and firing a Mk19 grenade launcher from the hip being governed by the same skill isn't due to them being similar.

Traps was the most useless skill in Fallout 1 and 2. Not even gambling was as worthless.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Um grenades used the "throwing" skill in FO1/2, traps was for timed explosives!!!!! Try holding a grenade in your hand sometime as opposed to a block of C4. They're clearly quite different.

You can shape C4 to be the same shape as grenade. What now?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Kharmakazy posted:

You'll need this from the nexus:

That's Midwestern Brotherhood Power Armor. I don't think the Enclave would have a BROTHERHOOD INSIGNIA on their armor!

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I see now I've made a mistake.

If you can't instantly recognize different types of Fallout power armor you need to re-evaluate your life.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

For Oblivion and FO3, most of the invisible walls are pretty much exterior walls. In New Vegas though, they have them in a ton of places. Like by the Quarry and around the central mountain range. They are also in a few other places, mostly by mountains. Probably explains why the amount of downloads for the invisible wall removers in New Vegas greatly exceeds that of the FO3 and Oblivion ones combined on the Nexus sites.

There absolutely have to be invisible walls in the Quarry to keep the Deathclaws from wandering out of it and killing low level players and it makes sense that the central mountain range is impassible since there are a bunch of passes through it and they want to funnel you through them.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Too bad there isn't an unmarked quest for creating your own currency backed by your own gold reserves.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Death by Cranes posted:

Ahhh come on, monsters tend to stay within their area. You don't see scorpions from hidden valley run around inside black mountain or coyotes hiking it to NCRCF.
And funnelling players is good, but what if you want to sneak on top of the funnel and have the drop on anything down below.

It's an RPG, not Doom3. There shouldn't be invisible walls at all. It utterly contradicts the purpose of having an open world.

Coyotes can't get into the NCRCF and Black Mountain because of their mighty fences.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Death by Cranes posted:

I didn't seen an answer for this and: yes, I'm pretty sure it is. Rhonda and Tabitha are dead man! Dead!

Actually all the music played on Black Mountain Radio is also on Mojave Music Radio.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I wish there was a better way to discourage future visitors than to put mines everywhere.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Node posted:

I think the timed nukes are my favorite because you can just shoot a nuke through a doorway, and step into another room that isn't within line of sight to clear a room out. I find it entertaining that I'm launching nukes five feet away from myself and not getting hurt.

Those walls could take at least one atomic bomb so it makes sense they could take another.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Why is the Chinese Stealth Suit just one piece instead of the armor and the hood separately?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Chinese didn't manage to steal hood technology before making the thing.

Actually it's the other way around. The United States reverse engineered the cloaking technology in the Chinese "Black Ghost" Stealth Armor to create the Stealth Boy and Big MT's MKII Psychoanalytic Cardiac-Dampening Sneaky Stealth Suit.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
How do you buy the Courier's Stash if you already have a pre-order bonus?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Chairman Mao posted:

Yeah, the settlements in Fallout 3 are kind of insane. There's the town built around an unexploded nuclear bomb, the numerous "settlements" that consist of about six people in heavily damaged houses, the ghoul city set up right near the loving super mutants, the aforementioned "three shacks on a piece of overpass", not to mention the raider camps that seem to be set up along the lines of "okay here's a house with about 1/8th of 1 wall standing and a 200 year old piss stained mattress*, let's burn stuff".

The only remotely safe location is Tenpenny Tower, and look how well that turned out.

*though arguably everything in Fallout 3 is 200 years old and piss stained

It's been canon since Fallout 1 that Super Mutants never give a gently caress about ghouls because they can't be dipped and they're to pathetic to fight back.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

SpaceMost posted:

Megaton is the best because it's literally a town built around an unexploded nuclear bomb and your first quest is the moral equivalent of "Will I find this cute abandoned puppy a home or will I feed it into a blender?"

Actually it's because it's a town built out of scrap metal within 100 feet of an abandoned town with a bunch of standing buildings

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

SpaceMost posted:

Is there any way to kill Caesar and the Legate prior to Hoover Dam II?

No, the Legate doesn't exist in the world until the second battle starts.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I found a location in the Mojave called "(Someone)'s map"... It's some kind of doodle on the ground with objects stuck into it.

What gives?

Chance's Map is a reference to the New Vegas comic book. Chance draws a map in the ground representing the major roads and locations of the Mojave.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Fallout: <The Place Where I Live> would be great it would have <Thing My Place is Famous For> and <Inside Joke> Watch out for the mutated <Local Or Historical Animal>

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Someone needs to do Fallout Mad Libs. It would be entertaining.

It would be really corny.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what are the tips for fighting that gigantic gently caress off Deathclaw in TLR?

If you shoot him with the flare gun he runs underneath a precariously placed warhead.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Nope, you have to use laser detonator but the flare thing is scripted i guess. If you read the NCR holotape at the entrance it hints this trick (also work with Flashbangs i presume).

Flashbangs just frenzy Tunnelers, they just have a debuff effect on everything else.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Is there anything in the DLC, or the game at all that can withstand a max charge stealth headshot from the YCS (assuming you don't use it in VATS)?

Ulysses and highly leveled DLC bosses.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

How would you even do another Fallout game that's not effectively a prequel, I mean New Vegas was basically entirely about the postapocalyptic era coming to an end and civilization reascendant. The future set following New Vegas would just wind up a generally retrofuturistic 50s-Western-America-with-superscience sorta deal featuring the NCR (or god forbid resurrecting the Brotherhood) but that's throwing out all but the absolute least essential element of the setting.

I guess if your objection is to the word "prequel" and the concept of pretending you're looking backward instead of forward on an entirely arbitrary fictitious timeline you could set Fallout 4 in some other hunk of desert and just say it's a few years later but none of the reformation of society that's taken place everywhere else has happened and everyone's just acting like it's a hundred years earlier because, okay. But Fallout doesn't have the broader conceptual underpinnings to do a Canticle for Leibowitz type deal and come out at all consistent, you leave the atomic Mad Max wasteland you're telling a different story.

Really New Vegas was a fine conclusion to the series. What I see in the responses to 'what would you want from a Fallout sequel' is all either dialing it back to prior installments or completely other games and settings with the Fallout brand stuck on them (Norway, really, seriously?), which seems to back that up. Squeezing the last drops of life out of the setting and name might suit Bethesda down to the ground, but as far as good games are concerned that'd all be better served by a new, different world and story.

I think Bethesda's idea that you shouldn't do prequels is pretty harmful in the case of Fallout because of how nonsensical basically everything in Fallout 3 ended up being because it was set 200 years after the apocalypse.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Mr.Citrus posted:

Evenyone seems to act like Fallout 3 Didn't win a ton of awards, sell a gazillion copies, and revive a dead franchise. I'm excited for the future of the series, at least for having a fallout game on the skyrim engine.

They need to make the next Fallout on the Rage engine.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

They could always have a second nuclear apocalypse - there's obviously plenty of working missiles around still, and it would fit with the theme of history repeating itself. The game could be set immediately after a nuclear war between the NCR and the Legion.

That's an unnecessarily complicated idea when there was already a perfectly good apocalypse.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Poniard posted:

Go ahead! You could crop it if you'd like too, since there's a lot of empty space on the sides, if that bothers you.

Anyway, loved Lonesome Road, and got to fight side by side with Ulysses as the silo came crashing down :hellyeah:
Could anyone who did a house playthrough give me a heads up on some of the dialogue, as the game thought I was sided with the NCR...

E: i dont know how to make screenshot fit gud

This isn't much of a spoiler since there's exactly one (1) NPC in Lonesome Road.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Poniard posted:

What if I said ED-E's Clone instead?

Machines aren't characters.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hey speaking of Legion runs, I'm considering actually doing one this time but I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to kill all the NCR people because it makes me feel awful. Anyway is there any word on whether a legion run is a satisfying or fleshed out as an NCR one? It really seems like it wouldn't be considering the small number of legion oriented locations in the world.

Arizona Killer is probably the best quest in the game and it's a ton of fun to blow up the monorail.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
All the safehouses have an NPC that visits and repairs stuff at a high level too.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
As soon as you step on the first step leading out of the room where Elijah comes in the forcefield goes up.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

How to beat Fallout 3 without breakign a sweat:

1. Exit the vault
2. Stealth / run to the Operation Anchorage place
3. Beat the simulation
4. Get the loot
5 Congratulation, you've switched on invisibillity / invincibility / long range destruction of everything. Enjoy!

Plus if you glitch it to get undestroyable stuff... But then, that's just cheesy.

The Winterized T-51b you pick up in the treasure vault at the end is actually the sim version so it has millions of hit points so you don't have to bother with glitching.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

If you attack Boxcars, doesn't he stand up on his "broken" legs?

Yes, but they're appropriately crippled.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Hm? What's the other one?

Unless you're counting the guys selling the refugees as one, I suppose.

There's also the quest where you have to help Corporal Betsy get counseling to get over being raped by Cook Cook.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Nipton and Vulpes in particular just really irritated me, I feel like that whole early game interaction/learning about the Legion is designed to make you hate them, and Vulpes is the earliest personification of the Legion as a whole v:shobon:v

I really liked Vulpes because he saved me the trouble of killing everyone for their stuff.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The timeline is irrelevant, ignore everything more detailed than 'before the war' and 'after the war', where the prewar era is all bad 1950s movies and the postwar was until very recently Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

The extended universe stuff outside the game where they try and make some kind of coherent alt-history out of "toasters run on ten-thousand-year atomic batteries and the government blew up the planet over oil because it's a genre convention and there's totally a pseudo-scientific explanation for the fire-breathing giant ants" is pretty awful anyway, it's all just every science fiction movie and World's Fair stuck in a blender.

There's no good reason to have fire-breathing ants in the Mojave because they were just recently created and exterminated by an Enclave scientist experimenting with FEV in the Capital Wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

SEE? See how bad that was? Now imagine that, but with like five hundred more words. That's why you just play the game and don't read the extended-universe bullshit or try to make sense of how it connects to the real world.

This applies to pretty much everything, come think

I wouldn't call New Vegas' direct predecessor "extended-universe bullshit".