Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

wolffenstein posted:

Is the launcher crashing or the actual game? I had that problem until I made Windows 7 run the launcher executable in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Yeah this works fine for the launcher but you have to be careful in Windows 7 because setting the launcher to XP SP3 compatibility mode will also set Steam to that compatibility mode if you launch through Steam. Afterwards Steam will refuse to start and you'll have to delete the registry entries that set those modes since for some reason they won't actually be available to change in the properties window.

Your best best is to just use the launcher once, set your options, and then rename FalloutNV.exe to be the same thing as the launcher so Steam just goes straight into the game proper and skips the glitchy launcher.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Though the collar mechanics in Dead Money got old in five minutes.

It's amazing how many lines of dialog were written to try and justify all of the stupid restrictions they put on the player. Hell, in the end it didn't even follow its own logic since after killing Christine if you don't make it to the elevator the first messages you'll receive is that Dog and Dean have died even though they were on different floors of the hotel and perfectly safe, hence your sprint to the elevator.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

wolffenstein posted:

I don't seem to have this problem with my workaround. I navigated to steamapps/common/fallout new vegas, right-clicked the launcher, and checked compatibility mode. Steam doesn't seem to be running in that mode (but then again I always have Steam running), and when I start NV, all I get is a UAC prompt. No big deal.

Yeah it doesn't always happen, but if it does here's the fix http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
^^ no it was pretty obvious from the first time he was mentioned in the game

Berk Berkly posted:

Honest Hearts was... not as good as it should have been honestly. They barely did anything with Joshua and the plot is sensible, but shallow. The REAL story in Honest Hearts isn't about Joshua though, it is about the backstory you find reading in all the caves and hidden areas that when put together is very :unsmith:

Yeah did something go wrong with the development of Honest Hearts? At the beginning you talk to Jed Masterson and he tells you not to bring up Joshua Graham for fear of spooking the tribals and be careful of all of the warlords tearing the area apart.

Then you actually get to Zion and you find out that Joshua is just some dude that everybody knows and just loving chills with them around the fire and the whole warlord aspect was completely nonexistent. Did they just record Jed's dialog before they were able to create all of the content?

The intro to HH is hilariously abrupt too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

rope kid posted:

It depends on what you consider "wrong". It had the shortest dev/testing cycle of all the DLCs (other than GRA/CS).

Interesting. If you don't mind my asking and just because I'm genuinely really curious about behind the scenes of game development, how much dev time do each of these pieces of DLC get? 6 - 9 months overlapping?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

That would have been awesome - you could even throw in a red herring by hinting that the Survivalist may have become a ghoul, implying he is still haunting Zion.

Well, the messages he leaves explicitly indicate that he is aging and on top of that another log details an encounter he had with feral ghouls and how he murdered the poo poo out of them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YWAqE9zrU4

And I just found an amusing little glitch. If you take the quest from the Followers of the Apocalypse to bug Mr. House's network but don't actually do the quest, after a while the questgiver will hunt you down. It turns out though that you're not even safe inside of the Presidential Suite so she'll straight up run into the Lucky 38, take the elevator to the top and HEY DID YOU DO IT YET? NO? OKAY BYE.

:v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Or pay that dude in Freeside 500 caps for a fake pass.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
After listening to someone in the Bombcast ask why games nowadays aren't gibfests like first person shooters of old I just want to thank Bethesda and Obsidian for realizing what makes games great.

...blowing people apart in the messiest way possible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just started Old World Blues last night and :psyduck:

It's like I fell into an episode of Futurama and I love it. I sure am glad I had to patience to sit through all of the dialog at the beginning though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyone know where the super Recharger Pistol is? I checked all the merchants in and around Freeside to no avail, as well as the chica at the 188 trading post (fun fact: if you slice up that one guy's daughter in front of him witha chainsaw, he just stands there watching and will still sell you stuff).

If you have Honest Hearts you can get one off of the girl that gets blown apart at the very beginning.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Wolfsheim posted:

I meant the new one added by GRA, actually. Unless rope kid added that into HH with GRA which would be incredible :aaa:

Oh the GRA weapon is different than the Recharger that's been in the game since the beginning? According to the wiki the Recharger Pistol is nothing new http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Recharger_pistol

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Star Guarded posted:

I have a gun with a dog brain in it :ohdear:

Is this thing supposed to sound so strange when it fires? There's almost no noise at all and the animation from the first-person perspective looks all kinds of hosed up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah for some reason when I was firing it last night it just kind of makes a quiet PIT-PIT-PIT noise, nothing like an actual minigun. Strange.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Synonymous posted:

Dead Money was fantastic in terms of party and relation to the original game (Christine is fantastic), but in terms of mechanics... gently caress Sierra Madre chips, and gently caress their stupid barely explained toxic-gas thing.

Yeah somehow it's a toxic gas that both preserves everything it touches and corrodes anything inside of it and for some reason doesn't have the properties of a gas because it can't come through windows or open doors.

:iiam:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, killing Ghost People got old as there was only two types.

Three, kinda. And speaking of which, I think there was a bug involving the exploding canisters that the one type had. Dean straight up tells you "aim for the canisters and blow them to hell" and even with 100 points into guns and standing right next to them I could not hit the canisters. I tried spraying them with bullets outside of VATS and targeting it from two feet away within VATS and nothing. Miss, miss, miss every time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I just picked up Jury Rigging for the first time and it completely owns. I'll have to be careful about accidentally recycling a good weapon for some other piece of poo poo though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait why was that scary? I had mountains of revolver ammo and I was just dumping on those ghosts. Hell, I didn't even use the hologram gun until the end of the town after I remember I had it.

e: maybe having Bloody Mess made it easier since it always blew off their head and they just died? i didn't summon dog once

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm really enjoying Old World Blues but does it have a problem with spawning cyberdogs right on top of you? I've had a few instances where I'll enter VATS with one target nearby and when i leave VATS boom I've got three cyberdogs up in my face where before there weren't any around me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Node posted:

I hoarded like hell during Dead Money, and thanks to the vending machines I have over 150 stimpacks. I don't die anymore unless a few deathclaws eat my face.

Yep same here, though that drat stealth suit burned through a bunch of them like crazy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Dush posted:

No shut up that's not canon :suicide:

I don't even want to ask but I have a morbid curiosity...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I had more fun with Zeta than I did Point Lookout.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Oh come on, who doesnt love inbred yokels that're stronger than a dozen supermutants?

The part where it took all of my ammo to drop one of those fuckers and they could kill me in three shots even though I'd already mopped the floor with everything in the Wasteland. Ugh, the setting was neat but the combat in that DLC was awful.

The best part of Point Lookout was easily tripping balls in the swamp and just a new location overall. The rest was meh.

e: and I think The Pitt could have been interesting if there was more to it. The visuals were certainly cool as gently caress but it felt so limited. Can someone explain why there was that huge section where the leader lived and all of those named characters but nothing to do with them? There weren't any quests or reason to talk to them or explore or anything.

vv also the fatter his wife is. i have family to support this

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Say what you will about the rest of Zeta, but those aliens died and died well.

That's what I'm saying. The weapons were fun as gently caress and come on, the Fallout story is already completely out there and dumb as hell but that's why I like it. The fact that aliens exist doesn't really take anything away from the world and fits in well with the goofy old sci-fi feel that a lot of the games have.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hank Morgan posted:

My favourite one of these occurrences to happen to me was when the Boomer Jack and the girl from the Crimson Caravan took it upon themselves to elope all the way over to the hills near Scorpion Gulch. I only found them because I had a quest objective to find him. Then there was an annoying one where that kid who has the C-finder vanished into the mountains north of Vegas never to be seen again.

When I played on the PS3 at the end of Return to Sender I wasn't able to find Chief Hanlon. He kept telling me to visit him when he's out on his balcony but then he never actually went out there. Eventually one day he just loving disappeared and his marker moved to somewhere miles away in the middle of nowhere.

Welp he wasn't where the marker was and he never showed back up at the mansion so I never finished that quest. I guess he chickened out and gave me the slip! :v:

Also something fun to do in Fallout 3 was to follow the hairdresser from the tower into the wastes after he leaves due to ghouls. He just kind of meanders forever until something kills him but it's funny keeping him alive.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Whatever they do in the next Fallout I honestly hope a different engine is used and if not for the love of God get rid of all of the invisible walls. Fallout 3 didn't have that problem but it's loving ridiculous how many invisible walls there are in New Vegas.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
^^ haha yup

Cowcaster posted:

I think "Liked" is only one step above neutral, so there's that. Most likely explanation is "a bug" though.

On my first playthrough of New Vegas I was as neutral as you can be throughout the entire game up until the very end. However for some reason all of the troops outside in the tents at Camp McCarran hated ED-E. They'd open fire on him on sight and he would fire back but wouldn't engage me or my other companion. Eventually just by way of stray shots and slowly being whittled down everyone in that camp was dead by the end of the game. Even Little Buster got blown to hell when the NCR accidentally blew up the truck he was standing next to.

v:v:v

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I seem to recall that was due to a bug where if you had any food items stored in ED-E, the NPCs would see him as an animal and attempt to get at that delicious Robo-Meat.

This is the best thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Assumethisisreal posted:

The worst part about the Karma system is how many hostile creatures in the world give you positive Karma for killing them. I'm trying to be evil, Ghoul! Go away so I don't have to kill you!

Yeah that doesn't really make any sense. There are a ton of creatures/people that attack you regardless of who you're aligned with or whatever so those should just be neutral or at least give you a way to work with them if they're obviously "evil" somehow.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just wrapped up Old World Blues and if there's one thing I took away from it it's that scientists drink and smoke a lot. I mean a LOT a lot. There must have been a pack or carton of cigarettes in every desk, box, or filing cabinet I searched.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't forget Mentats. Mobius' room :stare:

Those motherfuckers are all mine, though I'll probably sell them.

Also it was kind of weird that I conspired with my brain for it to rejoin me after I dealt with Dr. Klein back at the Think Tank but since the ending slides trigger before you can do so you're told that you and your brain never reunite.. I made the game a liar. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Wingnut Ninja posted:

With Elijah's Advanced LAER and Max Charge ammo, you can practically hear the gun crying in pain with every shot. That gun was what prompted me to bind weapon repair kits to a number key, you can go through one or two after every decent-sized firefight.

Yeah it's a great gun but you pretty much need to take Jury Rigging if you want to actually use it on a regular basis.

And does having a high repair or anything prevent weapon degradation? Are there any perks for this?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love Bighorners, or as I like to call them, big dumb walking sacks of meat and experience.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So what's the consensus on Lonesome Road? Is it a necessity to play it right now because of some awesome story bit or is it okay to wait when I don't have a million other things to play? It sure got shat on by most reviewers for a variety of things.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Geomancing posted:

I'm getting seriously pissed at the Legendary Assassins that Caesar is constantly sending after me. I'm all of level 11 and I have guys with Super Sledges and Thermic Lances on my rear end, so constantly that I finally just started using the console to 'disable' them. I did that to FIVE groups of four assassins each going from Wolfhorn Ranch to just north of Novac. Every quarter of a mile I get 'THE CAESAR HAS MARKED YOU FOR DEATH!' and it's yet another bunch of overpowered, heavily armored assholes I can only kill by chugging chems like I'm at a rave. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be, they were NEVER this common before, and not as high level either.

Wait until the assassins spawn while you're naked with no weapons and a bomb collar on your neck for that one Brotherhood quest. That almost completely ended a game until I was able to finally cheese it after repeated attempts.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't play these games without the Sprint Mod. I really can't believe I beat them so many times crawling across the wasteland at the default speed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I like talking to Caesar because he sounds like an auto mechanic from New Jersey.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't say I wasn't going to blow his rear end up. I feel like Boone deserves a treat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I appreciate the new weapons and neat visuals in Lonesome Road but man the story isn't really what I was expecting. "Oooo I'm some guy that cares about you for some reason I speak in riddles come walk through my haunted town if you want to figure out why you bought this DLC!" The nail gun and upgraded ED-E loving own though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kharmakazy posted:

Just seems like pipboys would be drat sought after.

So should Nuka-Colas since they're basically food and currency not to mention all of the nuclear reactors and useful scrap metal found in all of the cars littered all over the world. But no, no one really gives a gently caress because it's a video game and little of it makes any sense at all.

I think the biggest thing that ticks me off is how sloppy everyone is. loving hell there's an overturned truck outside of the Lucky 38 right in the middle of the strip. It's been there for 200 years someone move that poo poo you lazy assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Node posted:

Also I might be missing something, but I can't seem to upgrade the sink. I've got a couple holodisks for it, but I can't do anything with them. Does the option to upgrade come later in the DLC?

You should have a quest to grab upgrades. Follow that and you'll eventually get to use them. As for spawns, get yer shootin' pants on because that's how OWB rolls.