Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

What's wrong with the old thread plus why no witty title?

The OP hasn't updated in over a year and there's still NV content coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Does anyone have any idea why, when I am "Liked" by NCR, an NCR MP would suddenly go I SEE I FIND YOU ALONE OUTSIDE THE STRIP, YOULL PAY FOR DISRESPECTING THE NCR PREPARE TO DIE. No others attack me, it's just this one nut and I'm rather confused by it.

I mean yes I am planning on betraying the NCR but this has yet to happen!!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah it was an Embassy MP. I was in a backroom when he rushed me, then Veronica punched his spleen out so it didn't really matter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think New Vegas is overall a much better game than FO3, but I can't say I care for how the ammo system works. Having multiple ammo types is cool, but I have like something like 8-billion useless ammo components I either accidentally got off people or generated by shooting things, a lot of which are for guns I'll never, ever use. It's tedious and just creates a giant mess, especially since you don't NEED the stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Caesar isn't evil, though his way of approaching this poo poo is very, very stupid. He basically is of the opinion that, poo poo, Rome had peace for a long time, and American Democracy was what got the world into the mess its in, so by trying to create a state obsessed less with individual rights and more general safety everything Would Be Dandy.

The downside to this is the fact that he does this by gathering lunatics and not really letting them in on the deal, or conveying any sort of ideal of it. He's obsessed with the logistics and strategy of assembling Rome and a Paxromana, but he just assume that by murdering everyone else everything will work for him. The thing is: he's just a personality cult when you get down to it, built around his violence. His #2 is a guy with no compunction to maintain peace or any desire for it. He just wants to murder people. Caesar's entire system is built around "murder everything that opposes us, induct a certain percentage of skilled males to bolsters our forces so we can murder more, and make all the women into breeding stock so we can breed more murderers!"

His theory behind this was that, when they conquered the NCR, the two factions would functionally combine into a hybrid of the two and thus they'd have the peace-keeping of the NCR and its associated economy with the dictatorial system built around the Caesar, which would Make Everything Better. It's just that, you know... there's absolutely no guarantee this would ever happen, and even if it did, it's ultimately built around the Caesar. The second he died, it'd be left with what, Lanius? The entire system would probably collapse, especially since the Caesar has no apparent heir, nor has he developed any sort of system where such a thing would be even accepted.

Basically, Caesar is theorycrafting and going on huge assumptions that fall apart once you bear into the mind that the Caesar is not only very mortal, but also already on his death bed, and that he apparently has no other people with similar ideals in his entire Legion whatsoever. Basically, he's egotripping so hard and focused on the practicalities of conquering everything that he just assumes everything will fall into place at the right time because He Wants It To.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ddraig posted:

e: And yeah, the entire Legion's long-term goals are locked up firmly with Caesar. Virtually no other member of the Legion, past or present, shares his ideal. Lanius is a loving psychopath. Joshua was a bloodthirsty maniac, and still is, and there's nobody even close to having the capacity to lead them in any noble (however they manage to get there) ideal beyond Caesar. Once he's dead, they're just highly efficient bandits.

It's be different if the Caesar had amassed any other idealistic individuals around him, or people who share the same ideas and goals for the Legion. Hell, ancient Rome while being a dictatorship still had a noble class and wealthy members which, while not in direct power, provided much needed support to the central powers. Nobles and other people "invested" in a related system are exceedingly important for the kind of system Caesar is building, but Caesar sees that as as a risk for corruption and such. He feels he can trust himself, and ONLY himself, when it comes to this sort of thing, and he can trust Lanius to be a murderous rear end in a top hat since he's simple minded, so he figures his system will work!!

But there's no lasting strength to it. Even if, as he thinks, he could create the hybrid government of NCR-mated-with-Legion and it takes New Vegas as its Rome, the second he's out of the picture, the entire system would collapse. It's an inherent flaw in most benevolent dictatorships when you get down to it. You can have a benevolent and beloved dictator or tyrant who does well by the people and has ideals. But if the system is one where the successor is functionally randomized or comes down to "who is the biggest murderer", the entire system will collapse or move most definitely away from the ideals it was formed on.

It's almost comical in how ill-thought it is. It's fun to bring Arcade with you when you first meet Caesar and he blows up when you step out the door going essentially "What a crock of poo poo!"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's also great because you immediately go from this to your interview with House, who's exactly the same only with capitalism and technology instead of fascism and military strategy, and without the comparison it's not immediately evident what House's deal actually is.

The difference with House is that he knows it's flawed as hell but doesn't even care, and the fact that he's immortal so it doesn't matter "what's next". He can laissez faire himself into eternity basically.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Out of curiosity, what's the best approach/ build for a non-lethal character?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Rephrase: non-violent :v:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I just beat Dead Money for the first time. That was rather very good! I found myself liking my companions in there more than the main storyline ones, though you do very little with them really.

Whole thing was rather nice, though I wish they'd gone more into the deal with the Ghost people/ Red Fog in here, though I presume that's elaborated on in later DLCs given how they kept going on about them.

Father Elijah was the weakest of the characters I think. He wasn't bad, but the final interactions with him kind of got held back by the game mechanics and lobbed into OK ROLL YOUR SKILL CHECKS TO SEE HOW YOUR FINAL ENCOUNTER WITH HIM GOES.

Where's the best place to sell my gold?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

closeted republican posted:

I think the point is that Ulysses is a nutjob that greatly exaggerates things. He's basically a pseudo-intellectual dolt that thinks he's got everything figured out because he's read a history book or two.

So he really is akin to Caesar then! It comes full circle.

Anyway, I just beat Honest Hearts. Enjoyed it, though again, it could have been longer. I really dislike that they took away every companion after like what, one quest, and then went "NO YOU CANT USE HIM AGAIN EVER, SORRY MATE WE SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU". I kind of wanted to explore more with Follows-Chalk before the end quest, or hell, afterwards, but nope, he refuses and then afterwards he and all named characters vanish. Which is rather pointless.

I don't see why it'd be so bad for them to have given them some brief dialog defaults and allow you to come back and talk to them/ interact with them some more, and just have them refuse to leave the valley with you or whatever. Zion really could have done with "post DLC" content beyond just looking for items you missed and hunting animals. Oh well.

I ended up going with Joshua's plan to wipe out the White-Legs and then had him spare Salt-in-Wounds. Joshua was clearly out for blood, yes, but pacifism doesn't exactly work in the wasteland, and it's not like Daniel himself was a pacifist: instead, he wanted to essentially isolate the Sorrows from the rest of the wasteland and basically treated them as children, or "dignified savages". Another form of conceit. He obviously wanted them to fully convert to his ways, yes, but I don't think mollycoddling an entire tribe on the basis that another tribe will do all their killing for them (???) is really fair or at all a reasonable direction. The end result was the Sorrows being more militant, but at least that meant they were acting in their self interest. Sparing Salt-in-Wounds didn't really accomplish much in helping the White Legs, but I got the feeling that would have been a given how their tribe seemed to be. At least it made Joshua chill out a bit!

I suppose I'll be getting OWB soon, which is good because it was the DLC I was looking forward to the most :allears: I kind of regret that I'm doing it in the run where I never got Wild Wasteland; should I cheat it in now to get the maximal experience?

Additionally, how hard would it be to go in item-less? I found that in Honest Hearts I tended to use mostly equipment I procured on the spot, and it made it a lot more interesting than using the same guns and melee weapons I usually did (weight limit just limited the ammo I brought and the number of guns).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh, also re: Honest Hearts, the Survivalist stuff was definitely the high point and great, the last bit hit me hard because I am a softy :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Brace posted:

I wish there was more wasteland to the Mojave to be honest. I really like the atmosphere and environment of a more structured rebuilt society, as far Obsidian could go with gamebryo anyways, but I'd also have liked to have seen a lot more raiders and just general terrible poo poo going on seeing as it is still a post apocalyptic world.

It's a post apocalyptic world hundreds of years after the apocalypse and after society has largely rebuilt entirely in several areas. It's the frontier of society in Mojave, but it's still largely society. Which is a nice dichotomy I think compared to FO3's "pure hosed land"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

I was killing people right and left so casually, that at first I didn't understand what Daniel was even saying... You're trying to end this in such a way that they... don't kill people? Why? How?

The thing is, his way of achieving "the Sorrows don't have to kill people" is to have other people kill people for them. It's not that Daniel is going Ghandi on us suddenly and revealing that violence isn't the way, it's that he fully intends on forcing other people to kill other people so that one group of people who have not had to kill people don't have to as a whole. That's it.

So, the Sorrow haven't had much need or call to kill people due to their isolation. War is largely alien to them at this point, yes. But I don't see how it is at all a moral response to a world where violence is a necessity to ultimately just redirect the burden of violence to someone else that you don't care about as much and act like you're accomplishing a great deed for humanity / religion through it. Daniel's system is entirely that the Sorrows won't need to kill because the New-Caananites will kill for them! And the Dead Horses! What, the Dead Horses are a tribe that they're trying to convert to Mormonism too? Daniel doesn't care, because the Sorrow are so innocent! Let them kill as many people as necessary to protect the Sorrows, so long as the Sorrows don't feel complicit. :allears:

Non-violence is all well and good, but the world of Fallout is currently in a state of ongoing anarchy. It's pretty much Dark Ages Europe when you get down to it, in terms of the factional splatter and current conflicts. It's possible for you to avoid war and violence if you're located within one of the few major governments (e.g., you're deep in NCR territory), but that's entirely because other people were violent before you came around and formed that fiefdom. The difference being that NCR doesn't have a single ethnic tribe or group they relegate for service, everyone can serve and maintain the protection, with benefits given to them. There is a level of personal choice in it.

What Daniel is doing is sheltering the Sorrows as people, treating them as honorable savages that need total preservation, belittling them and their ways. Hell, look how he's been holding information from members of the Sorrows because he's afraid it'll "make them feel bad". Daniel I think the lady will be able to handle learning her husband died. Yes, that sucks, but stop attempting to be God and make decisions on what other people can choose.

... Which is really the core of it, when you get down to it. The three major figures in Honest Hearts, Daniel, Joshua, and the Survivalist, are all essentially out to make themselves God through their actions. They don't necessarily FEEL like they're being God, but it's them kind of struggling with their religion (well, for Daniel and Joshua) and finding a way to deal with it in a world of ultimate violence and depravity. Daniel attempts to shelter people from the world given to them and take back the "Fruit of Knowledge" so that they remain pure. He's trying to hide them from the world that he, and ostensibly his God, created. Meanwhile, Joshua wishes to exact revenge on those who have sinned against him and his family, and desires to make his wrath and judgment ultimate and unforgiving like the his image of his God. But he knows he isn't, and struggles with it.

Rather neat though!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

If Daniel was okay with wiping out the White Legs for the sake of the Sorrows so long as the Sorrows didn't get their hands dirty... there'd be an option to lead the Dead Horses alone in to exterminate the White Legs.

Except in all of the White Legs endings if you choose to take an Exodus, the Sorrows rely on the Dead Horses to defend them from threats, including fighting off the White Legs again. The Dead Horses become relegated as their defense. The Dead Horses "couldn't" fight the White Legs "alone" in the in-universe sense (even though they didn't really do poo poo), hence why the Sorrow had to be "complicit" for Joshua's plan to work.

quote:

Daniel's an arrogant douchebag in a lot of ways, and his reasons for relocating are not necessarily mine, but he's not trying to put the sin on another group to save the Sorrow's purity.

And yet the Sorrows are relocated to a place where they still come under attack, but they're more easily defended by the Dead Horses and New-Canaanites. They're essentially treated as children who can't help or protect themselves.

quote:

There was a way out for the Sorrow without killing people. If there wasn't a convenient tunnel to escape through, I'm sure even Daniel would help them kill the White Legs in self defense. The issue here is that in the position where you can avoid killing people, but it's a bit harder... well, most people in the wasteland would say gently caress it, and kill the bastard. The idea that someone would try to... not do that, is a really positive one.

If the New Caananites knew the White Legs were coming that night they were exterminated, and had the option to flee or fight back, when they knew they could have won in a fair fight and slaughtered the White Legs, would they have abandoned New Caanan, even with their high mindedness? It's not as simple as "Well we could just run away". There are practical considerations, for one, not to mention the fact that relocating out of a place of plenty can lead to functional suicide by abandoning defenses and resources. And the New Caananites had the will to fight if necessary. If there's one thing they mentioned, it's that the New-Caananites would kill you if you forced them to, but they really didn't want to.

But Daniel clearly saw the Sorrows as special, even compared to him and his actual New-Caananites, because they never experienced man-on-man violence, they were "pure". Children. Untouched by evil, in his mind. So he sheltered them.

Joshua's insanity isn't much better, to be sure, and his obsession with slaughter could certainly do bad, but it's not like the Sorrows are children who by being exposed to such things suddenly would become Joshua-clones. The Sorrows may be tribals, but they're not children. They are adults, they are human beings with the capacity of reason and thoughts. Essentially hiding them away from the realities of their world (one where violence is, unfortunately, necessary depending on the circumstance, a thing the New Caananites all too accept themselves) is a condescension of the highest degree, in my opinion.

Furthermore, things aren't as bi-polar as "Well, either I kill him or I don't" in quite a few situations, and the non-lethal option here ultimately involved you killing a lot of White Legs in the process! And a lot of Sorrows and Dead Horses dying. And the Sorrows being displaced from a land that had the potential to support them for generations to one where their future is potentially grim. In the Fallout universe, taking such options constantly would result in a lot fewer people who would even consider peaceful solutions (because they'd be dead).

GRIMDARK

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Given how the quests with the Institute in FO3 worked, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the New England area for the next Fallout. Especially since civilization apparently has re-developed a ton in that area (somehow?)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

New York seems like kind of a plausible setting for the next game, especially if Bethesda makes it themselves.

No offense to Bethesda... well, ok maybe a little, but I'd much prefer Obsidian maining whatever future installments of FO that come rather than them. I understand that NV is so good in part because it was able to take all the stuff from FO3 and make them so much better, but even though FO3 did fairly good with its setting and atmosphere, it was really, really lacking in the "competently written" department. I'd say that's true of Bethesda's games in general (the Elder Scrolls are basically just LOTR+D&D with Chim when you get down to it) but whatever.

Then again, perhaps Obsidian is getting tired of the setting and would prefer doing something else! :v:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

You don't really have to even shoehorn it in. Most of the eastern US is naturally a fairly dense forest, and over a hundred years without civilization it would go right back to being that. DC should have reverted to an impenetrable swamp.

The reason the Mojave is a wasteland, isn't because of nuclear war. It's that it actually is a wasteland in real life.

Bethesda just kind of blindly copied the desert setting of the original Fallouts without really understanding why they were set in deserts.

Well, not quite. FO3 worked quite well for being the area hit with the most nukes out of anywhere in game. It's basically the blight-iest part of the world short of Beijing, I'd bet.

That it's the most hosed over post war isn't that surprising.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I use the fully upgraded katana because I feel like I would be ruining people's expectations of me if I didn't.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I rather like the Li'l Devil as my pistol of choice now. What since it's the best one DPS wise.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wow you guys weren't kidding when you called the enemies in Big MT strong. Everything takes tons of damage and deals it out in equal share. I wish I had brought power armor with me. I am unloading my doggun into both roboscorpions and lobotomites and it can take forever to put them down.

I also for the first time find myself having to REALLY use all of my chems. Luckily I've built up a huge back library.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

At what level did you get into Big MT? I've been through it twice at lower levels ,one 7, the other around 15 and havent had that much trouble. I was using energy weapons on the first and melee in the second case though, not sure how much that factors in.

I'm like level 35 so everything has colossal DT.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Just beat Old World Blues. Rather enjoyed it all in all. Felt it was much better rounded than some of the preceeding two DLCs (though I liked those too very much).

I found it really difficult at first since I went in deliberately naked. The Doggun helped, though that thing eats ammo like nobody's business, and it was hard to find a ton of it bulk.

Once I found my Proton-Inversal Axe though, and got the Stealth Suit Mk II, everything moved back into fairly easy land. Though goddamn, those Lobotomites are drat good shots.

Additionally, And Stay Back is so loving broken. Using a Hunting Shotgun and like 40 ammo, I was able to perma-lock the Legendary Bloatfly hilariously easy.

So since I've gone into every DLC basically naked before, I suppose I should ask: how hosed would I be if I tried that with LR, given how it sounds like it's Deathclaw City.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is there a particular reason why the dude outside the Silver Rush really is loving pissed at me and wants me dead? I did the quest to find dirt on the Van Graffs yeah, but that didn't do anything to cause aggression or whatever I thought, since I took the non-lethal route? Dude is really mad at me.

Thinking back, their greeter DID try killing me randomly like fifty hours ago and I nailed him across the map, does that agro all the Van Graff folks?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CommanderCoffee posted:

It was repatched a few months back so that they attack you anyways.

... why? How would they even know?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oh, well then. Are there any down sides to just wiping out the Van Graffs afterwards?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ReWinter posted:

Blast away, but be sure to do them in with something you stole from their shop.

Why's that? Or is it just a karmic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CommanderCoffee posted:

Uh, the economy in which an Aureus is worth about 100 caps, and a Denarius, which is the lowest currency that the player knows of in Caesar's Legion, is worth 10 caps. Compared to the $100 NCR Buck being about 40 caps, well, either Caesar's economy is strong (due to the money being made out of precious metals, as opposed to backed by them), or the money has value due to its precious metal value. In any case, it's pretty much the most powerful economy in the Mojave wasteland when speaking in a pure unit-to-caps mentality.

I have a bunch of legion money and haven't been able to unload it anywhere. Did I somehow get bugged money that is not letting me sell it or something, or do not all vendors take it?