Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I haven't played NV in a few years, and figured it was time for another run. I usually end up going energy weapons, science and repair, and just melting the heck out of things. I also invariably end up going the Yes-Man route. It's a lovely experience, but I wondered how the game goes if I went through totally evil. Maybe not in the sense of, like, killing everyone haphazardly, but siding with the Legion, and that sort of thing. Does it work out? Or do I end up missing large series of quests because I can't even walk into certain areas without every neutral person running from me or taking shots at me?

I installed Viva New Vegas (that took a while) and left everything as it defaults to, using that set of mods, if that matters much.

Secondly, how about interesting builds aside from "science wizard melting people with plasma"? Gimmicky is fine, but viable (considering the VNV mods I have in place) would be nice.

It would be nice to mix it up a bit. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

DaysBefore posted:

A Crit-heavy Unarmed build would be fun. High Agility and Luck to keep you moving and getting Crits (plus Endurance of course). Maybe also Low Int for the true punchdrunk boxer experience

I'm into this. Viable through the whole game, I wonder? Even against robots, and so on?

I feel like not having high INT would make skill points an issue, but I honestly don't know just how much VNV increases overall difficulty.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Arc Hammer posted:

Late game melee would be more fun if you weren't so dependent on VATS to avoid getting a one hit KO by an angry deathclaw.

I’m loving my melee build, mid game anyway. I just found a family of like 12 Brahmin bulls out in the wilderness and I just started punching. Heads were exploding, baby bulls just hopping out in front of their parents. It was really silly. An unwitnessed and fruitless massacre. Post punch clarity was a little rough though