Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bunk Rogers posted:

This week's TAL has made me realize how much I hate college kids. Jesus Christ that was insufferable.

WOOOOOO! I"M TWEEEEENTY ONNNNNNNNNNNNE!!!! How in the gently caress do those homeowners not beat the poo poo out of those kids with baseball bats? I mean gently caress, you find a drunk college kid sleeping in your young daughters room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lady Gaza posted:

I downloaded it but I was unsure if I'd enjoy it, especially considering I'm from the UK and can't relate to US college life. Is it worth listening to?

Totally! It's a great contrast of stories from two years ago and two weeks ago.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Glitterbomber posted:

Uh financial stuff is a very nebulous concept even to a lot of well versed people, unless your job is literally 'understand financial systems and monetary law' it can be incredibly dense and confusing. I guess you can take it as 'dumb teenagers' stuff if you wanna be a big baby but yea, if you're describing financial poo poo it's best to assume your audience has no grasp of the major concepts because chances are they don't.

More to the point when "The Giant Pool of Money" first aired, the talking point across the media at large was, "this whole mess is too complicated for us normal folk to understand, we should leave it to the experts" when that line was a giant pile of bullshit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This week's episode about one Apple fan's trip to Foxconn is loving heartbreaking. I know it's not just Apple that uses them, but loving hell.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blackula69 posted:

I bet you 99% of people still have no loving idea what caused the financial crisis. That episode is just one part of a complex story - IIRC, they didn't even go into the CDS market that much - and yeah, it's really complicated.

The second episode in that series, "Another Frightening Show About The Economy" did just that. There are like half a dozen with Planet Money, including a ride along with the FDIC when they close down a bank. That was pretty loving incredible.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

maxnmona posted:

If you actually read through the details, I'm with Mike Daisey on this one.

The problem was taking a piece of theater and presenting it in the context of journalism, which was more the fault of the TAL producers than Daisey. They approached him, not the other way around.

All of the facts under dispute are whether he personally met some of the people he discusses in the monologue, not whether the conditions he described are true.

And given the context of the piece, that he invented personally meeting people affected by things that really happened is fine, given that those people exist and the events that affected them happen, and given that it is presented as a piece of theater.

That This American Life considers itself journalism rather than theater is kind of its own thing to sort out, not Daisey's.

edit: also, it should be noted that he did not need This American Life to sell out shows. He was selling out long before they aired the show. He is one of the most talented and well-respected monologuists working today, he doesn't really need help getting gigs.

Uh, Daisy presented the piece as journalism. He knew it would be treated as such on the show. He outright lied to TAL's fact checkers. This has been discussed at length in the GBS thread, but it shouldn't go unchallenged here either.

I don't understand why you defend him so much - he's a loving liar and has done significant damage to those who wish to see better working conditions in China and elsewhere. There's really no defense for this at all.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

maxnmona posted:

I just find the situation nuanced and not something I'm upset about, whereas some people are working themselves into a rage over something that doesn't affect them at all.

If people feel angry or upset at the actions of this poo poo head, it has indeed affected them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
There was that one story on the Moth from Eric Lander. He's a scientist who worked on the Human Genome Project and was asked to consult with some lawyers on DNA "fingerprinting", way before that poo poo was on CSI. It's a nice counterpoint to the garbage they usually have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwRqe-1pVNI

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

dongsbot 9000 posted:

youre right why didnt these jews just move back to israel if they didn't want to pay taxes which steadily increased every year. gently caress them for deciding to exercise their democratic rights to impact local government

No, gently caress them to using their democratic rights to subvert and destroy the public good.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cebrail posted:

Well, no. That's the non-problematic part. If they had stopped paying their taxes the situation wouldn't be ambiguous. But they are, they are paying for public schools with their taxes. They're just using their democratic powers to make these taxes as low as possible. And that's a problem that arises everytime a majority rules over the fate of a minority. If this school board situation shouldn't be allowed to happen, why should, for example, the general public be allowed to decide on things like welfare?

There was the whole "lets use state money for religious schools with respect to special needs students" thing. I have no idea why that poo poo is even tolerated to begin with.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cebrail posted:

Yes, I didn't like the onesidedness either. Obviously it's easy to judge it on an emotional level, but aside from the thing with special needs students and yeshivas which sounded like semilegal lawyer crap, but issue isn't really the behavior of the hasidic community, there's nothing inherently wrong with voting against taxes you don't like.
It simply shouldn't be possible for a school district to gently caress up its schools for personal profit.

There's a serious problem with eroding the public good at the expense of a minority population. The truth is not always in the middle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wafflesnsegways posted:

But you can make the case that the "the public good" isn't served by funneling money away from low-income groups to schools that they don't use.

If you ask me, the problem is a funding structure that is clearly not sending enough money for education to this relatively poor town, and leaving different groups there to fight viciously over the scraps. Meanwhile, the best and most well-funded public schools serve wealthy neighborhoods, where people CAN afford private schools, special needs education, and whatever else, but don't need to.

They're more than welcome to use the public schools just like everyone else. Having a religion that wants them to use private schools does not morally justify the defunding of the schools for everyone else. It is causing real harm for the minority population. The lack of AP courses and extracurricular activities will harm those students that are left.

Yes, you shouldn't have local funding of schools to better even out these situations, discussing that at the exclusion of holding this school board responsible for gutting the local education system for religious reasons is nuts. They are acting in an immoral manner, and they are causing harm to others to benefit themselves. There is no "other side" to that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

doctorfrog posted:

I'm an easy scare, and I used to listen to old old radio shows as a kid. Lights Out Everyone was a favorite of mine. So the Snap Judgment Spooked V episode is just a whole lot of fun. Makes me want to look up Lights Out Everyone or those old radio plays of Poe stories.

I LOVE their halloween episodes. I remember the one which opened with a guy performing an autopsy and he felt like the body kept "moving" when he wasn't looking. He gets a call from his boss the next morning saying something to the effect I hope you wore your PPE, that guy was riddled with flesh eating bacteria!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What in the gently caress is up with that mother trying to guilt one son into not eating meat just so the other son won't raise a fuss? It's a painful experience for Elias to see someone else eat meat? gently caress him, he needs to grow up and deal with it, and his parents need to give him the tools to do so.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mcmagic posted:

That was objectively horrible parenting.

But that seven year old was so earnest! How could you not empty out your freezer after hearing his passionate call to save the endangered pandas?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Antifreeze Head posted:

This story really highlights the crappiness of the repeats; lack of an update. Is that seven year old still insufferable? Are the parents still quick to kowtow to the demands of a grade schooler as it relates to family meals? Is the young child still skulking around with his dad to enjoy being an omnivore? Or did he pick up on the fact that his parents can't say no and now gets twinkies and chocolate milk for every meal?

I'm ok with it when they update something like they did with Attack of the Patents.

Christ, would it have been so difficult to make a phone call?.

That and Ira's poisoning of the well. "Guys, like everybody judges parents just to be judgy so don't judge and be sure take this undisciplined poo poo very seriously". Rather insulting to the audience as I think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've been in a bad work situation before, and i have sympathy for the people who said "you had to be there" to explain why they did some of the things they did; it does totally warp your mind when you have to deal with someone who uses their authority in petty and vindictive ways. but i have no idea how i would react if i had to work with someone in the position Raucci was, who did the stuff he did :psyduck:

It's also amazing to me how much this poo poo escalated because no one in power ever took the complaints seriously.

• Locked thread