Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business
Feb 6, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Going through my TAL backlog and just listened to the Lindy West segment and holy poo poo haha if you think that was real. Pro-tip: she writes for Jezebel.

I'm so genuinely curious about what you could possibly mean by this...like they hired an actor to play a repentant internet troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Planet money is interesting and reasonable most of the time. Sometimes its cool to listen to things and be like 'hey i disagree but now i understand that perspective'. But i guess thats the Neoliberal Lizard Race controlling my opinions

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Hoops posted:

I listened to the first episode today as it was featured on the Start Up podcast (the podcast about the launch of Gimlet, if anyone doesn't know). I was sort of enjoying it as it was billed, solving minor unimportant mysteries in people's lives. Then it took the specific turn where she said (something along the lines of) "so it was then that I realised - the real mystery here wasn't about a video store, the real mystery was why do people do the things that they do?".

It really made me groan because it was the most hokey, This American Life-y crowbar ever, in the middle of a tedious section about some guy watching Fellini films. I think a sad cello even started playing in the background to give it that real extra depth.

I'll give the next episode a go, but I'm not interested if every episode tries to turn itself into a philosophical question, I'd genuinely prefer an actual mystery show.

I think that she's 100% self aware about the weird conceptual turn. It's amazing. Like admitting that sarah koenig, rather than adnan, was the focus of serial all along. The gimlet stuff has been so much more interesting that this American life lately.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Malcolm gladwell is the real scourge, as this latest episode shows, so who cares about Lindy west.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I really think shittown is a masterpiece, just so subtle, and it does interesting things with disclosure that are pretty uncomfortable (it IS strange that he doesn't get the "feed me" guy's name at the tattoo shop when you think there'd be a written release like if you were filming someone). One other thing I noticed, which I can't tell if I'm reading too deeply into or not:

chapter VI- Brian Reed describes an unrecorded interview with a closeted guy (a "bad guy" who John had spoken about other times and worked on his yard) that had a relationship with John. When he gets to asking him about whether there was anything sexual in their relationship, he paraphrases the guy's answer which is just a grunt ('uhnnn' sound). But back in chapter 2, around 43 mins in, John is describing a conversation with Tyler where he makes the exact same 'uhnn' sound and mentions that his father has the same mannerisms, and would always make the same sound. Reed implies that 1. John knows Tyler's father well enough to mention his mannurisms and 2. makes the exact same sorta-idiosyncratic sound when paraphrasing the later interview. Maybe I'm crazy, but when you consider the heavy editing and writing around the show, I think the connection is there. So Reed is winkily telling us about another layer of the story without putting it officially on the record; theres another way that John is an "ersatz" father figure to Tyler

Business
Feb 6, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea it was v. cool when he outed that dude in a small town using super obvious and not at all subtle clues but didn't actually confirm or deny anything so the rumor mill can be the main decider in a really fuckin sensitive topic

It is though. It's an interesting narrative solution to the problem of true-crime shows like Serial that get 'too close' to their subject. They've learned to play off that ambiguity and make it a part of the work rather than something that the host wrings their hands about uselessly. Do you think these rumors wouldn't circulate anyway? If some random reporter found out about it and then put it on the show I'm willing to bet its a bigger open secret than you're assuming.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Electoral Surgery posted:

Very similarly, the "we talked about digging up buried treasure, then had to go off the record :smug:" end to Tyler's story. It must have been a satisfying conclusion for anyone who happens to be named Brian Reed but it's the opposite of a conclusion for the rest of us, and awfully suspicious behavior from someone who has been charged with stealing from that property.

I thought it was a very good/satisfying conclusion that is consistent with the themes of the show. A podcast about events that have already transpired only has to answer for itself and its coherence as a narrative, it doesn't have to solve anything, dispense justice, or protect people from themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

If you think giving non-committal grunts and "mmmnn"s in response to a question is a mannerism unique to just a handful of individuals in that town I promise you that's not the case. I don't see the connection.

Go back and listen to the clips and consider how carefully everything is written, and how many really smart radio producers with decades of experience were involved in this, and how long they have been crafting this whole story, listening to the same clips over and over again. Even if it's not literally true (which again they aren't saying), the implication is there and they know it

• Locked thread