Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Re: Ira's Voice

While at work tonight, I was listening to some old TAL episodes and heard one that I hadn't heard in a while -- #259 Promised Land. This features, as you may recall, Ira Glass singing his "I Wish" song for the show.

It is possibly one of the worst things I have ever heard. I don't mind his speaking voice (kind of like it, actually), but... oh, Ira. Never sing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

theradiostillsucks posted:

I mean, there are definitely more scholarly podcasts out there if that's what you're after, but some of the ones I've checked out have basically been a small group of folks waving their PhDs around and justifying their status in academia. I kind of despite the dry, scholarly podcasts and the pop culture circlejerk ones in equal measure, so decent stuff that finds a comfortable place between the two is always welcome in my opinion.

Not to derail too much, but I recently discovered [url=http://www.footnotinghistory.com/]Footnoting History[/u], which is a group of young historians (grad students and early career professors, I think) doing mostly 15-20 minute episodes on various small topics from their research that they find interesting. I'm a historian myself and so am probably biased, but I've found it an enjoyable listen and, since most of the topics they discuss are pretty far afield from my work, suspect that it's pretty accessible to non-academics. So people looking for short, scholarly podcasts should check that one out; it's definitely not Ph.D.-waving.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
I listened to this week's episode on the way to work a few mornings ago, and the first act about the 1980's Army-produced "Dada musical theater" is honestly one of the best things I've heard in a long time. I absolutely loved it and it got my day off to a really good start. It reminded me of my college days working in community theatre, but with an extra somewhat batshit twist.

I also found this story about it from a local paper that includes some links to contemporary coverage of the Soldier Safety Shows.

Stealth Edit: Also, I've been listening to Longest Shortest Time for the last month or so and have been working my way through the backlog. I don't have kids and don't want kids of my own, but am really enjoying the podcast. I recommend it.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yesterday morning, I was catching up on this thread and came across the conversation about the stories about being high episode; I actually recently overheard Ira telling someone that that episode wasn't worth listening to and it was, in his opinion, one of the worst episodes they've done ever.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I got that very impression from other people's reactions and have not bothered to listen to it for that reason. Glad Ira himself agrees. Where were you that you heard that?

I went up to say something to him after a documentary screening at the IFC Center in New York (he interviewed the director of the documentary afterwards) and he and I ended up walking out of the movie theatre together; a girl showed him a list of three shows from the TAL app and said that they were the only three she hadn't listened to and asked if he could give her a reason to listen to each. He said that the drug story one was among his least favorite and she could probably just skip it.

(I do really like the Price is Right story, though.)

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

What the gently caress question is that to ask a guy... TELL ME WHY SHOULD I BOTHER TO LISTEN TO YOUR WORK.

I think I would have been far less nice to that chick.

Well, I mean, it was prefaced with her totally fangirling and telling him how much she loved him and everything else and she had been marathoning the entire run of the show.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Watermelon City posted:

That was a great segment. Why Ira would single out the drug stories episode rather than that Burroughs turkey is beyond me.

The Burroughs episode hadn't been released yet.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have no memories associated with that episode. I assume I listened to it because I listen every week (unless it's a rerun of an episode I wasn't terribly impressed with), but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

I think that's what bugs me because I still vividly remember the episode. Usually I don't mind re-runs cause I only started listening to the podcast a year ago, so its all new to me.

I've heard good things about "P.I" moms through, so I'll listen to that episode this week instead. :)

PI Moms is great. It's one of those episodes that sometimes I'll go back and listen to just because.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Max posted:

My favorite part of that episode is Ira coldly playing the different versions of the song and telling the guy how many actually exist.

I am listening to this part of the episode right now and it's amazing.

Also, "I'm glad they didn't use the same woman, though, that would have been really bad."

"Let me play you, um, something else now..."

"HELLO PITTSBURGH."

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just found the version from the city where I grew up. It's so wonderfully 1980s, but does give me an odd burst of sentimentality and civic pride... even though I wasn't alive when it was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTL4aAGpfM

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eggnogium posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you possibly came away with that interpretation but can't even guess.

Okay good I'm not the only one who was confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is a debate that's been going on at Fieldston that this episode is sort of related to.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mandatory-race-talks-roil-elite-new-york-city-school-1426293330
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/nyregion/at-new-york-private-schools-challenging-white-privilege-from-the-inside.html

• Locked thread