Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

C-Euro posted:

I hope the segment about the guy mapping all the sounds in his life isn't included in this because that one was rad.

Can you imagine working in the same office with somebody who's constantly humming and tooling around on a little keyboard? "Hey Joe, do you want to know what key the coffee maker is in?" Blee-bloo, bleeeeeeeee. That guy was absolutely insufferable (well, they were all insufferable, but at least most of them keep to themselves).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

outlier posted:

There's something about The Moth that irritates me. Maybe it's the way the stories are so studiously crafted to fit a certain form: SELF DEPRECATING JOKE / PATHOS / IMPORTANT LIFE LESSON. Not that I'm denying that strength can emerge in adversity, but when so many of their stories are all "it was a tragedy but that's okay, I had this insight", it becomes an uninformative cliche.

The Moth's philosophical stance is one of the reasons I can't listen to it. Sometimes bad poo poo happens for no reason and, most of the time, the speaker's pissant little hardship is not a mountain that needed to be conquered. Don't get me wrong, there is value in people's stories, but not in the way they're presented on The Moth and TAL.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

soggybagel posted:

Still, what Ira does for his dog is loving insane. Also the way he waves off the fact that the dog has bitten him, his wife, and even children to the point where it broke the skin was annoying.

Ira is a childless man swiftly approaching 60. At least he's turning his paternal desperation towards a dog instead of ruining a child's life.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zakharov posted:

You'll be shocked to learn that several posters in the TAL subreddit think she made it all up.

Of course she did. That e-mail/call was literally the biggest load of poo poo I have ever heard.

"Here's a guy who trolled me, and he conveniently confirms every single one of my perceptions."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, just so we're clear, your theory is that Lindy West hired a highly convincing voice actor to portray her harasser and interact with the TAL fact checking team, and has also been building up years and years of timestamped emails, tweets and comments from this harasser in preparation for faking this whole thing?

I'm saying if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Take a second and imagine the reverse. Say the story was about an online feminist who called out the author on XOJane. The author then writes a story about how online feminists play the victim for Patreon donations. He then produces an e-mail from the feminist saying that she doesn't actually believe anything she writes on XOJane, and that she's just making up death threats and bullying in order to boost donations to her Patreon. You would be naturally suspicious, and rightly so. Now apply the same suspicion you wield against viewpoints you disagree with, with those you don't, and you'll realize that there's definitely something fishy about the reformed troll who perfectly parrots the author's viewpoint.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

AndrewP posted:

Maybe this doesn't work because TAL and Lindy West are more credible than crying idiot internet boys

Yes, and Rolling Stone was credible until it wasn't. I don't care what side of debate you fall on, but questioning the credibility of the news--especially when something seems too good to be true--is never a bad thing. To quote the incomparable Benjamin Franklin, "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's because you're stupid. Cops put their lives on the line keeping people like you safe from the worst dregs of society. Show a little appreciation for the people who do more for their communities every day than you will do in your lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I received more harassment and death threats from posting my opinions on SA than Anita will receive in her lifetime, but you don't see me crying about it because I'm not a pathetic, histrionic idiot shaking down stupid people on kickstarter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread