Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I didn't listen to the original episode because it didn't sound that interesting, and listening to the update I'm glad I skipped it. Even putting aside all the "the translator must have wandered away when the 13 year old factory worker told me how old she was, and her friends looked the same age so I said I saw a 12 year old" bullshit, I can't imagine listening to a whole story in Daisey's serious monologist voice. Dude is no Mike Birbiglia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Symptomless Coma posted:

One of the best pieces on the issue so far, I reckon.

"A note to our listeners: this story does acknowledge the existence of sex with prostitutes while working on a sting operation."

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

BobTheCow posted:

Whoa, yeah, I've gotta agree with all the previous posts, that was one of the best TAL episodes in a while. I was pretty uncomfortable through the whole thing. I'm always impressed at the access they're able to gain for stories like those, I wonder how long it takes to develop that sort of relationship with their subjects.

I think the pedophile interviewer mentioned he'd spent about 18 months working on the story.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
For how much This American Life/WBEZ relies on public funding, I'm surprised they don't offer a Serial subscription. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would have paid $10-20 for access to all 12 episodes. I'm excited to hear what the Innocence Project brings to the table in future installments.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Toaster Beef posted:

Or, y'know, she's Asian and not hugely familiar with the English language.

This made me imagine about a scenario where SK does an intense, emotional interview with members of Hae's family and then has to ask them to read some ad copy for a promo.

• Locked thread