Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

I had no idea that sensation had a name or was something everyone didn't have with certain things. I've never really mentioned it to anyone though. I definitely get it with certain sounds and actions like the sound of someone vacuuming, some whisper stuff, and getting a haircut.

I've never seeked it out though or spent hours watching people whisper on youtube. That seems very much like a weird fetish and creepy and her boyfriend is right to question it.

It's too bad the ASMR/whispering thing comes off as fetish-y to some people, because for me it couldn't be further from sexual. It's just ultra, ultra relaxing, sort of like a spa for my brain. Too bad most people are loving terrible at conveying that, like in the GBS thread.

I've got whole playlists of this stuff because I'm a borderline insomniac, and these videos have consistently helped me get to sleep when nothing else does. My brain can ignore music or white noise and go racing for hours in spite of them, but I focus too much on sounds and dialogue to fall asleep to movies or television; ASMR is that perfect balance between maintaining my attention while being soothing enough to allow for sleep. Honestly, most of the video posters mention sleep or relaxation at some point, so it's really nothing more than a weird phenomenon that has been harnessed for a useful purpose. Now instead of encountering ASMR only when I don't want to be drowsy (like at the library, in a classroom, getting my hair cut), I can access it when it's actually beneficial. It's so innocuous that it's annoying when people make a big deal out of it, including the TAL reporter who would go so far as to consider it a "hobby."

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
As a non-American, what episodes are your favorites?

I don't usually think about the show that way, probably because most media produced in America is intended to be consumed primarily by Americans. There's a level of assumption there that colors everything. Like, 99.5% of fictional high schools are completely batshit and overstuffed with tropes, but since most Americans went to real American high schools, we all know just how batshit and unrealistic those portrayals are. The idea that people in other countries might be taking this stuff at face value is kinda scary. I'd be interested to know what someone with a different, outside perspective enjoys most about "This American Life."

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I really appreciate the nuanced take in these last two episodes. There's no easy answer, because that's something that rarely happens in real life, especially in situations like this. I've got enough blue-collar first responders and dirtbag criminals alike amongst my family and friends to testify that 'honesty' and 'simplicity' rarely accompany one another, though we wish it were otherwise.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

^^^It's probably just as well they're not, since Woodstock has some major creeplords hanging around it, and this is coming from somebody who also grew up in rural Alabama. Yikes. I've never heard of this place despite my hometown being less than an hour away.

I listened to the entire show today, and there's some zigs and fuckin' zags.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Man, I'm going to need a few days to mull over S-Town. I found it uncomfortable and relatable and infuriating and true and FRUSTRATING in too many ways to unpack at once. I know a bunch of fellow Alabamians who are listening to it, and I'm champing at the bit to get a mass Facebook convo going or something before I crawl out of my skin.

I know or have met every single one of these character types, and while I'm from a small town with more diversity, and -- I'd like to hope -- better racial politics than Woodstock, I sure as hell know of a few towns that have retained some really creepy, infamously backwards bullshit even to this day. I felt so terrible for this reporter a few times, but also for everybody living in S-Town who has been numbed to accepting their reality as typical, when you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and have a completely different experience. So, so frustrating, but still real. I've definitely brushed paths with some Johns. I've met some Goodson analogs as well, and there's a uniformity to their horrifying backgrounds. Ugh. I still got a kick out of Uncle Jimmy and some of the weird bits of comedy, like the tiddy ring debate.

The Big Picture style reporting at the end was a pretty elegant send-off, a unification of all the complex themes this series addressed. This kind of storytelling lives or dies based on structure and editing, and I think the team did a good job.

gently caress "KyKenKee" Kenneth and his entire family for real, though. I hope somebody snatches that land up from him ASAP.

(edit for clarity)

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I want to know more about Tyler's opera-loving grandma, and that cryptic off-the-record exchange regarding the alleged hidden gold.

life is a joke posted:

*doesn't dispute or deny obvious KKK reference*

Wow, another offended liberal - sorry we upset you in the election.

I hate him so much.

That being said, as sad as I am about John's death, part of me is glad that he didn't have to endure the 2016 election and follow-up. I'm extremely concerned about rollbacks in the EPA and climate change denial deregulation, so I can only imagine how much this administration would torture John. That his land and life's work are now owned by a pro-Trump rear end in a top hat makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I'm not uncomfortable in that these people had their voices aired internationally, but that they gave some pretty raw, uncomfortable content voice that I haven't heard outside of those communities. I think it's worthy of being shared.

The ethics of this journalism style are up for debate, but to me it feels John *wanted* this explored, on multiple levels. Not so much this specific inciting incident, but as a microcosm of the relationship he had with his town and neighbors and home. It was symbolic. I think he needed to share and vent in ways he wasn't fully ready to do for himself, and - in his absence - his community had to do the rest of the lifting. So they did. The result is a complex, difficult story with no clear answers, that both conforms to and defies stereotypes, and refuses to be written-off. Which is exactly why it needs to be told.

• Locked thread