Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I don't have a link but the episode on patent law is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I downloaded it but I was unsure if I'd enjoy it, especially considering I'm from the UK and can't relate to US college life. Is it worth listening to?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Farts Domino posted:

I'm surprised the word "entrapment" didn't show up at any point during that story

I listened to this earlier and I thought the same thing.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Great job, cops. Pretend to be attracted to an 18 year old then force him into buying you marijuana. Then arrest that dirty DRUG DEALER!

The police literally ruined that kid's life. His prospects have been destroyed over $25 of weed. I found it absolutely disgusting.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I prefer the episodes where they do actual journalism, like investigating the banks or the patent system. After a while I get tired of stories about frogs in love or fluff pieces about people's school crushes.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

UltraRed posted:

You should listen to planet money. It was founded after the financial crisis, and they do a great job exploring some pretty complex economic issues.

I like Planet Money but it's worth bearing in mind that they are all neoliberal free marketeers and as such their explanations of the financial crises are heavily biased in that direction. For example, in one episode they compared the national budget of Greece to a household budget and used that analogy to justify austerity. Any sane economist would tell you that national and household budgets are in no way similar. I contacted them about it but they didn't respond, which was a shame. I prefer their episodes that don't deal with major economic issues; for example I liked the episode about the pros and cons of silver/paper dollars, or the one about how shell companies work.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

fivre posted:

Were they actually campaigning for austerity? I recall a few about the main problem being the Greek government being utterly useless and the complications caused by being in the Eurozone, but nothing saying that austerity had actually helped Greece.

It was more them saying that cutting back spending makes sense because you'd do the same if it were your household budget. By perpetrating that analogy they're saying that austerity is a viable method of improving an economy. I'm not a Keynesian by any means but they don't seem to present the 'other side' of the debate (the debate is limited in scope to two similar sides, but that's another issue) and show the problems with the EU demands and their various growth forecasts. Other less specific things I notice include the importance they place on markets; the market may say X is worth $Y but in my opinion they accept that's fair or correct without addressing deep problems in allowing the cost of things to be decided that way. I just get that general feeling from the way they talk about various issues.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've only listened to the Planet Money teaser but my first thought was that even if all they were saying was true (and from the above article it doesn't look like it), surely the best way to deal with the problem would be to raise wages and provide jobs so that people don't need disability? Oh wait no it's far easier to demonise the people on the bottom rung of society.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

I dunno, a lot of that debunking article seems to be taking things out of context or not using the same metrics. For instance, the PM/TAL reporting said the number of children on SSI was 7 times higher than it was 30 years ago. The debunking article says that it's only gone up slightly in the last 10 years. These don't seem incompatible, especially since part of the thesis was that welfare reform was what pushed more people on to disability. And I don't view anything said by PM/TAL as victim-blaming: it's just people doing what their incentivized to do. It's an imperfect piece, but MediaMatters is putting words in their mouths.

As I said I've only listened to the PM bit, but when that politician was talking about his broken ankle I got annoyed. Yeah he may not claim disability because of it but that doesn't invalidate other people's claims. I also didn't like the digs about mental health issues. I need to listen to TAL but I'm wondering if they explored the angle that perhaps the reason for the increase in disability and in particular mental health issues is due to stagnating wages and increased stress of average people over the past few decades.

edit:

Didn't see this, thanks. I'll take further discussion there.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 25, 2013

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Maybe put that in spoiler tags?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Ever since their very good podcasts describing the 2008 collapse, it seems like they've been trying to do more journalistic stuff. Personally, I approve, especially since last week's episode featured a dumbass story about how the Penguin got jealous of the Batman hitting on Catwoman or something like that. I swear it was done by one of the squirrel fable guys.

Second point, it sort of is a "Dems this, Pubs that," except it's going, "Holy crap, idiots actually think like this, corporations are going to do what they are going to do, and there's next to nothing we can do about it except maybe hope that our pot smoking, gay marrying kids can outlive the stupids."

I'm not American so it's quite interesting to listen to those kinds of episodes, it's funny to me how the difference between Republicans and Democrats is presented; recently Ira Glass actually said the Democrats were 'on the left'. I prefer the episodes on actual current events, or those that involve at least some journalism, even if it is viewed through the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

These days I can't stand the fluff pieces; the other week I heard Ira Glass announce David Sedaris and I immediately stopped and listened to something else. Also last week's piece on the guy in the call centre bored me to tears. I know some people like those kinds of stories but I would like to hear more episodes like the one on patents, or the Chicago school. Also I get that I'm probably missed the entire point of TAL since it is mostly whimsical stories but I really think when they do serious journalism they do it well and it's far more interesting. Even if those episodes in a minority, I still subscribe and just skip over the fluff.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I wish they'd at least tell us when an episode is a rehash or taken directly from another podcast. Several times I've been listening and then realised ten minutes in I'd heard it before.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Which episode number is this? The latest one showing up for me in Overcast is #443 from July 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm in the UK. I did get it in the end, I had to search again for TAL and it appeared in the list. Once I added it though I had two separate subscriptions.

• Locked thread