Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

misdirectomy posted:

My buddy produces a sketch comedy festival and I asked him once what the most played out, cliched premise he's seen while watching horrible audition tapes. He said it was the meta-dialogue sketch with things like "statement" "question?" and "witty comeback". TAL then played that exact bit as an example of some theatre group's ground-breaking concept: SHORT PLAYS.

As pointed out, it's a repeat. It originally aired more than ten years ago so, barring the Soderbergh reference, the episode (or the theatre group) may be part of the reason why it's now a cliche. Hardly the show's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

hope and vaseline posted:

Well like the argument that tore down his startup plan, Planet Money is produced by NPR and Chicago Public Media which are nonprofits. This is almost like a direct advertisement for Alex Blumberg's podcast/startup which aren't affiliated with either of them. And it does a terrible job at it too, so I'm not sure what the point is. I usually skip past Planet Money segments but I kind of kept listening this time, like watching a trainwreck. Is that what the appeal is? I don't even know.

To be fair, Super Business Girl was also a PM segment. Interestingly, a long-form version of SBG made it to Planet Money, but Blumberg's piece didn't. Conflict of interest? Too awkward for the pop-economics podcast?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
As I understood it, Goldman Sachs had a bunch of documents and mission statements about the importance of conflict of interest policies and stated commitments to improve COI policies. It seemed unclear as to whether they actually HAD a conflict of interest policy though, outside of those three division.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt," which is very (intentionally) different than"beyond any doubt." You try to leave your biases at door, but you shouldn't leave behind your common sense or ability to independently make connections.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I skipped to the end once they explained the concept - I'm at best not a fan of Magnetic Fields, and the whole project sounded insufferable. Anybody mind giving a spoilered summary?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Wow. Now I'm glad I skipped it cause I don't need to be crying at my desk. :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nerdpony posted:

Yesterday morning, I was catching up on this thread and came across the conversation about the stories about being high episode; I actually recently overheard Ira telling someone that that episode wasn't worth listening to and it was, in his opinion, one of the worst episodes they've done ever.

They'd originally planned to rely more (entirely?) on crowd-sourced stories, but he admits in the episode that most stories about getting high aren't interesting to people who weren't part of the story.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nerdpony posted:

The Burroughs episode hadn't been released yet.

Kangra posted:

He seemed pretty happy about the Burroughs episode when he introduced it, though, and also didn't produce that one. And it wasn't as bad as the terrible Federal Reserve story (another one produced elsewhere).

The Burroughs episode was the NPR version of being forced to listen to your friend's favorite band while he stares at you with a fixed smile on his face.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

effervescible posted:

The Burroughs episode would probably get less attention if the intro hadn't made it sound like it was going to be this mind-blowing, incredible piece. It wasn't.

Yeah. I'm not enraged by it, but the buildup versus outcome was hilarious (see my earlier simile).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

zakharov posted:

edit: ugh I'm reading the Reddit comments about this episode and it's awful. Several people saying it was all Jonathan/Melanie's fault. Jonathan had classic depression symptoms going on - it's so easy to get into a death spiral like he did.

Jonathan does a much better job of articulating the defeatism and self-loathing that can come with growing up in that type of situation. If I had just heard Melanie's story, though, I probably would have felt the same way. Without the "badge of inferiority" context, it would be really easy to think that she just psyched herself out or gave up after a single disappointment.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Well that's certainly a bunch of vague accusations, characterization and out of context quotes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Unless your only source for news is Mother Jones or Adbusters, I'm not sure how this is a new concern or one exclusive to Planet Money. GSK and Novo Nordisk sponsor health coverage; BP sponsors energy reporting. "Editorial and Sales: the uneasy truce" has been the reality in reporting since newscasters had to do Marlboro spots during live broadcasts.

Watermelon City posted:

If you're satisfied with Adam Davidson's reportage far be it from me to sully your enjoyment of a financial show underwritten by a bank.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Watermelon City posted:

Does it need to be a new concern or one exclusive to Planet Money?

It doesn't, but I haven't seen these types of targeted accusations pointed at the hosts of "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered," which present themselves as more comprehensive objective news sources.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so you're claiming that, like, steve inskeep has the same level of editorial control over morning edition as davidson and joffe-walt do over their little podcast? :lol:

Yes, because my central point was that Steve Inskeep, personally, is driving the news cycle. Honestly, it IS ridiculous to say that the "anchors" of these shows have no influence on the tone and tenor, but my point is that no one's attacking the fact that a number of the "desks" on these "legitimate" news programs are similarly sponsored by companies with an interest in how stories in that field are presented.

And whoever said it earlier is right - the best PM episodes are generally the pop-economic type of stories anyway - see the one about the 11 year old entrepreneur in Detroit.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Watermelon City posted:

What did everyone think of #551? I really enjoyed the opening segment, and the one on underwater cave diving made me feel claustrophobic.

Made me crack a wry smile, the same way chilly Lutherans might after a particularly ribald Garrison Keillor bit.

The opening segment was definitely a repeat, so I stopped listening. Are there actually new segments, or is it updates of previous stories?

Fake EDIT: "Good Guys" - Ep 515 (01/10/2014). Looks like they replaced Act 4. 2014:

Deep Dark Open Secret

In 2009, a U.S. soldier contacted our show and offered to send audio dispatches from his deployment in Afghanistan, to do a story about what it's really like to go to war. But what he learned when he was over there was way more personal and honest than we, or he, expected. Producer Sarah Koenig explains. Note: Ira warns listeners that this story may not be appropriate for children.

2015:

The Test

Radio producer Scott Carrier quit his job at a low moment in his life. His wife left him and took the kids. And he got a job interviewing schizophrenics for some medical researchers. After doing it a while, he began to wonder if he was a schizophrenic himself. Scott has a new podcast called Home of the Brave.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well that's just silly. Though, yeah, haven't heard the 1996 episode so it's "new to you."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That does it - nothing but David Sedaris and "aren't my Brooklynite friends quirky?" stories from now on.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If Ira Glass truly doesn't want to overstay his welcome, that may explain why he bought out everyone else's (WBEZ and Chicago Public Radio's) share of the show. He's paying them out of future profits, though, so the show will definitely be around for a few more years.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
His multiple homes = his two homes. He was doing a completely reasonable investment method before the flood, and he got caught up in a legitimate but nontraditional loan program in an effort to get back on his feet. He should've understood the loan better, but was making his payments on time (as he understood them), and it's not as though a bank has never taken advantage of a borrower's ignorance.

There's no mustache-twirling villain, but you make it sound like he'd bought up the block as some speculation scheme.

Edit: seriously, when is using the rent on a second property to pay the mortgage on both properties being a "rent baron"?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Goddammit, I didn't see that last piece coming. Crying on the subway is not a good look.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The one with the two boys who were friends? I liked that. After big disasters I only ever see news stories about people who can't find their family. Hearing about people who were OK and found each other afterward is really cool.

They just set it up so well with that naked plea to the "camera." I was already done at that point, and then they have the phone call and I'm trying to find an unoccupied corner of the subway car.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Kings Of Calabria posted:

There's an episode of Longform from a little while ago, it's an hour long interview with Ira Glass and it's got some neat insights about TAL. I'm about halfway thru it and so far it's cool, and IG is more down on himself and early mistakes he made than I would have thought.

Also, stop fighting :(

e: Ira Glass says gently caress and poo poo unedited, never heard this tender morsel of a man use that kind of language

There's a Doug Love Movies episode with Ira Glass, and he got WASTED on the show. It wasn't quite "watching Bob from Sesame Street get drunk" unsettling, but it was pretty weird.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

drainpipe posted:

What episode is this? I wanna hear it, but I can't seem to find it.

Holy poo poo. I may have created a complete memory for myself out of his story on WTF.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2011/09/iras-blackout-drunk

I swear he was on DLM, but I'm not finding any evidence of it either. Bummer.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If you listen to Startup, this week's episode goes into how a podcast episode is prepared, including all the scripted-spontaneous conversations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

zakharov posted:

I'm listening to "Status Update" now. It's interesting but do NOT listen to the first segment unless you can handle two teenage girls talking about likes on Instagram for 20 minutes.

I always find these analyses of high school psychology fascinating, so I would say default listen unless you hate teenage girls :pedo:.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm a Stan for Zoe because I kind of know her personally, but I don't think she went in to push for the "moving content." It's not as though Alex is lying to himself or not aware that he's gay - if that were the case, you could have a "look at this wacky guy supporting homophobic Republicans - doesn't he get it?" story. He's conflicted by his identity, but I think the story of reconciling that conflict is a legitimate story.

Also, Zoe's been pretty good about working with the right - they sent her to Colorado to cover the Republican events during the 2012 election, and it's somewhat telling that she was able to sit down with the evangelical family for however long without them (apparently) addressing the fact that she is SUPER gay.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hoops posted:

Well Planet Money was always just slightly right of centre economically, I assume the staff there are all somewhat anti-regulation, pro-free market? She may not vote republican but she can probably connect with them on a level that a lot of public radio people would struggle with.

She did the election coverage pre-Planet Money, but that definitely makes sense. It never connected how right of center Planet Money really was/is until they did that "but what if we SHOULDN'T get mad about big game hunting?" episode. That wasn't the most egregious case, but it was definitely the one that gave me that "Usual Suspects" moment.

Edit: I think it's fine to be wary. She's pretty upfront that she was basically done but had to go back because it was so weird. It just seems that this guy was ready to reveal his life story in response to a question about the weather.

Also - as a mother, how do you feel knowing that your kid's efforts to win your heart were, to some extent, part of a conscious power play?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 22, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm listening to NPR One, and they just ran an archive episode that was basically "But wait, what if paying a living wage and getting rid of tips is a BAD idea?" The argument was basically that tipping helps offset the jealousy that waitstaff feel by serving us while we're having fun (which is why you tip at bars but not at supermarkets).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
To be fair, getting 90% of your salary after retiring at 50 is crazy. Not the workers' fault for taking the deal or relying on the deal, but man.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I can't' wait till a parent pulls a shotgun on one of the assholes in this first story.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's a pretty old repeat, so no guarantees that they've changed the modern cues.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Holy ever loving gently caress. Did that short story in this week's episode ever come to a point?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Honestly have no idea why they have any fiction on TAL besides being unable to find a compelling real life story. There's just no stakes when it's fake and it's always a bummer for me. Also the fiction is usually self-indulgent, twee, or lovely.

I think good fiction can be really compelling in audio; "Paw Paw for Jesus" is still one of my favorite short pieces on the show. I think this one missed the mark, but maybe it'd work better for me if I read it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

AngryBooch posted:

All I thought after listening to this episode was why the gently caress isn't phentermine prescribed more often in the US instead of loving statins and opiods?

I would say that this woman's screaming psychological addiction is at least one reason, though I guess that doesn't explain opioids.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Part 2 this week. Act 4 is brutal. :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I tried to bounce back and forth to catch the stories, but the "jokes" started to bleed into the stories and I had to stop.

It's a shame, because I actually like a couple of the comedians. Still and all... ugh.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I feel like TAL has been on a tear when it comes to heartbreaking pieces.

On another note: new Jonathan Goldstein podcast!! :woop:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Without getting a better sense of the timeline, I'm not sure how this reflects poorly on Gimlet. I didn't listen to Mystery Show - when did the last season end? How many episodes were in the prior season? She's upfront that she wasn't really able to think of new stories as quickly as she would've liked. Maybe the show just didn't have enough gas to go for years and years.

To be honest, this is kind of a concern that I have for Heavyweight. Shows like Reply All can alternate between a bunch of different kinds of stories, but Mystery Show and Heavyweight feel like they rely more on the host's direct connection to the story, and no one's life can be THAT interesting on demand.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those concerned, Starlee Kine has returned to the TAL fold.

http://www.avclub.com/article/serial-and-american-life-creators-launch-productio-249490

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The privacy/consent question occurred to me as well, but what's the reporter's responsibility to save people from their lack of self-censorship? He openly identifies himself as a reporter at every opportunity - unless you think he misrepresented people for narrative purposes (a legitimate concern), he's observed his ethical obligations.

• Locked thread