Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

I liked it as well! Fun premise that turned out way more interesting than I originally thought.
"This week we're talking about what happened this week!"
Yaay :buddy:

..."I could see the RPG coming straight at me, then I hit a bump on the road and it struck the engine..."
:stare:

This dude was legit crazy and should be dead considering an RPG is made to peirce tank armor and his little Toyota's engine block somehow stopped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I was never the biggest fan of calamari in the first place but goddamn, now I pretty much can't trust anything that's deep fried. So thanks TAL for making me eat healthier! :thumbsup:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I'm a few episodes behind on TAL, does WakeUpNow sound as insane to the rest of you as it did to me? The episode defines the legal language of what a pyramid scheme is, but I'm pretty sure that fits the bill as well.

Yeah it's clearly a pyramid scheme. I have a co-worker into "multi-level marketing" and just avoid him when he subtly tries to sell me things. Dude has a well paying job. Don't know why he's trying to sell instant coffee on the side and putting a huge decal on his SUV. Awkward as gently caress.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I liked the reveal that Planet Money did on SSDI becoming welfare for rural communities and I don't think they passed negative judgement on the practice so much as stated that "hey, yo, the social safety net is failing the people it should be helping and they're having to go on SSDI now because of it." Of course, Republicans now want to kick people off SSDI (and the rural poor will continue to vote for them) but what else is new.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
All I thought after listening to this episode was why the gently caress isn't phentermine prescribed more often in the US instead of loving statins and opiods?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

I would say that this woman's screaming psychological addiction is at least one reason, though I guess that doesn't explain opioids.

Replacing food addiction with an addiction to phentermine is certainly a trade off. But it's much less addictive than say, adderall because there is no dopamine release.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It's the results, because she works on the media and immediately started getting jobs after not changing anything but her weight. It was a good, honest piece. It's kinda lovely but being fat pits you in the bad person box pretty quickly and you have to work overtime to be on the same social level as someone thin.

Certainly people do treat you differently if you're not 100+ lbs overweight (I have not ever received free meat at the deli counter however), but I also think that there are massive improvements in self-confidence and mood that affect your personality and demeanor when you're in shape that Elna doesn't comment on at all. There were some very thick rose-tinted glasses. And sort of cornering her husband about how he wouldn't have fallen in love with her were she 100+ lbs overweight was kind of lovely. I wonder if she thinks she would have fallen in love with him were the situation reversed? When his personality would have likely been completely different along with his physical appearance and capabilities?

I also didn't really believe that Lindy West "trained" herself to believe that being immensely overweight was beautiful by looking at tumblr blogs when later in the episode she's married to a normal weight dude who gets hit on by women in bars.

I enjoyed the episode anyway for the stories, Oral Roberts University and Elna Baker's stories were good, but there are some clear issues with it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zakharov posted:

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but it can be extraordinarily hard to lose a lot of weight and keep it off. Our bodies don't want to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/05/why-the-weight-loss-study-everyone-has-been-sharing-is-kind-of-misleading/

Metabolic penalties of losing weight gradually decline and eventually disappear if you're able to maintain weight loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, the first time it aired it was probably the most angry I've ever felt listening to a radio thing.

Yeah, it's this one, and the one where the Orthodox Jewish community in a small New York town takes over the school board and systematically destroys the public schools. Both on about the same level for me.

• Locked thread