Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Listened to some of the "I Was So High" episode, turned it off. Bummer, sounded promising but they even admit in the episode that other peoples' drug stories aren't as funny as they think they are... and they are right.

Maybe the third act had something good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying how Sarah Koenig is presenting the show and unfolding the details, so I'm not even going to touch the Reddit or any other potential spoilers. But the Nisha call really implicates Adnan in a big way. Though it is weird that Nisha remembers the call referencing the video store that Jay hadn't yet started working at.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I'm saying if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Take a second and imagine the reverse. Say the story was about an online feminist who called out the author on XOJane. The author then writes a story about how online feminists play the victim for Patreon donations. He then produces an e-mail from the feminist saying that she doesn't actually believe anything she writes on XOJane, and that she's just making up death threats and bullying in order to boost donations to her Patreon. You would be naturally suspicious, and rightly so. Now apply the same suspicion you wield against viewpoints you disagree with, with those you don't, and you'll realize that there's definitely something fishy about the reformed troll who perfectly parrots the author's viewpoint.

Maybe this doesn't work because TAL and Lindy West are more credible than crying idiot internet boys

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ugh,

bad day posted:

And I think that's the crux of it really, nearly all of the gamergate victims are... Drumroll please... People who beg for money on the Internet. I think, when it comes down to it, anyone living that sort of lifestyle will attract an inordinate amount of hate mail, male or female, feminist or non.

the lengths people will go to convince themselves misogyny isn't the problem

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I liked this one but probably because it wasn't trying to be funny (and wasn't David Sedaris)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Lindy's point, it made a lot of sense. Like other people have argued, losing a lot of weight is extremely extremely difficult. It's just not gonna happen for a lot of people. So you can either be miserable your whole life, or find a way to accept it and be happy. Maybe she's not the paragon of health, but who the gently caress is?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

The audience that they were apparently taping for? Do you not bust out a recorder whenever you have a very emotionally charged moment in life?

I might if I was a producer of TAL working on a segment about that very topic.

Anyway I think it was his "this is the real you" idea that bugged her more, considering she can only really maintain her current weight with amphetamines

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just finished the first episode. I wanna drink moonshine with Jon

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dude seems chill as gently caress. Obviously smart. Lemme know what you think at the end of the second episode.

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It wasn't the uncut mystery crack that Serial S1 was but still I really loved S-Town. What a fascinating guy John was.

I hear the charges of voyeurism, but the majority of this was built on interviews by people - John, Tyler, Rita - who were itching to tell their side of the story. So he let them. I'm okay with it.

PS, John literally referred to Tyler's dad as a "child molester" so I don't think that was the guy.

• Locked thread