Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

holy crap the voice of that theater girl with the robot baby. aaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

She has a bright future ahead appearing in creepy asmr videos on youtube I think.

e: wait I mean the christian girl, didn't the theatre girl just sound like a teenager?

well a big section of that segment was when the two of them were at rehearsal and it featured the whispery girl singing. and i liked how the girl who was described as the "theater kid" sounded way more well-adjusted and way less of the stereotypical mental trainwreck you think of when you think of high school theater

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Recently when TAL had that segment on vocal fry, Ira Glass said they have never gotten an email about him having it and I laughed so hard I almost drove off the road. I should send him an email "It's OK bro, out of all the people on your show I've always found your voice way more annoying than any of the women".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that military safety thing sounded just so completely bizarre. I can see why they claim that the soldiers actually paid attention to it, because :stare::stare::stare:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Snuffman posted:

Any other archive episodes I really need to check out?

One of my favorites is a segment from Plan B. It's the part in which John Hodgman tags along with "Cuervo Man", one of those people who does promo alcohol giveaways in bars.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/168/the-fix-is-in

This is also a pretty good episode. It's about the real-life story that inspired the movie "The Informant".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kangra posted:

New episode this week is good. I kind of want Chana Joffe-Walt to do the 2nd season of Serial, because even this episode alone would have done well by going more in-depth.

yeah, I'd love 12 hours of recycled right wing talking points

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you possibly came away with that interpretation but can't even guess.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/490/trends-with-benefits

This entire episode is Joffe-Walt just parroting bullshit from places like the Cato Institute. She even repeats bog standard "those lazy poors are using their kids to collect more welfare" nonsense.

EDIT

Here's a good example of something she said, taken from (one of many) rebuttal articles that were written about the episode:

quote:

I started hearing about another group of people on disability: kids. People in Hale County told me that what you want is a kid who can "pull a check." Many people mentioned this, but I basically ignored it. It seemed like one of those things that maybe happened once or twice, got written up in the paper and became conversational fact among neighbors. I found that the number of kids on a program called Supplemental Security Income -- a program for children and adults who are both poor and disabled -- is almost seven times larger than it was 30 years ago. [NPR, Planet Money, 3/22/13]

Do you notice the rhetorical sleight of hand? She starts out by injecting her own opinion as fact with a standard "some people say" anecdote. Then she does a classic NPR "hmm well I don't know, certainly there has to be another side to this", which signals to her audience that she's actually researched the issue thoroughly. This allows her to pivot to a factoid that appears to confirm her (possibly made up) anecdote. But notice that the anecdote has no actual relation to the factoid: its truth lies only in the minds of those who already believe that the poors and the darkies are lying through their teeth so they can buy a Cadillac with free government money.

And it wasn't just Media Matters and other progressive organizations whining. Eight former commissioners of the Social Security Administration denounced her work. These commissioners served under various presidents of both major parties.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 18, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

It doesn't, but I haven't seen these types of targeted accusations pointed at the hosts of "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered," which present themselves as more comprehensive objective news sources.

so you're claiming that, like, steve inskeep has the same level of editorial control over morning edition as davidson and joffe-walt do over their little podcast? :lol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

my point is that no one's attacking the fact that a number of the "desks" on these "legitimate" news programs are similarly sponsored by companies with an interest in how stories in that field are presented.

please cite the study(ies) you are referring to that show this to be the case

edit: actually never mind, im not helping this get back on topic

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ira's just coasting on that sweet foundation money from the gertleton group

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bad day posted:

If it HAS always been this way. Man, what a lazy show. I've been giving them too much credit.

A lot of public radio shows are like this, both weekly and "daily" (i.e. 5 shows a week like Fresh Air). I don't know why they do it that way, but my guess is that it's a combination of budget and allowing staff to take days off. And it would be pretty grueling if Prairie Home Companion or Wait Wait cranked out a new show every single week, since they travel all over for live shows/tapings.

Also, remember that not everybody who listens to NPR has a home computer server full of carefully indexed podcasts from the past decade :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

If anyone likes those episodes of TAL where they talk to some small minority of America, you might want to check out State of the Reunion, which sadly just had its last episode. I'm pretty bummed about it, but hopefully someone will like it.

This looks really neat. Thanks for sharing it!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really mad at that segment. I'll have to remember this episode if I ever get into a discussion with someone who claims racism doesn't exist in America any more.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 5, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i've been in a bad work situation before, and i have sympathy for the people who said "you had to be there" to explain why they did some of the things they did; it does totally warp your mind when you have to deal with someone who uses their authority in petty and vindictive ways. but i have no idea how i would react if i had to work with someone in the position Raucci was, who did the stuff he did :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 26, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

Goddammit, I didn't see that last piece coming. Crying on the subway is not a good look.

The one with the two boys who were friends? I liked that. After big disasters I only ever see news stories about people who can't find their family. Hearing about people who were OK and found each other afterward is really cool.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Rubies posted:

No I totally agree that people for some reason instinctively need to find a problem with any woman's voice. It wasn't TAL but some other show had this long thing about "vocal fry" which was like a 99% made up thing but it generated a ton of emails from people just waiting to pounce on women for daring to speak like a newsman instead of a ditzy weather girl. That's why I asked if there's a chance it's fake - I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and just jump on someone for the way they speak, but I have never ever in my life heard a midwestern accent even close to that strong, and all the chunky consonants seem forced to me too (again, have never heard that in anyone's normal speaking voice).

actually, the segment on "vocal fry" was TAL!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps

the thing that i thought was hilarious about this was that ira glass has the fry-est vocals on the planet, and yet they say that they have never gotten this kind of complaint about any of the men on the show :pwn:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lol if you don't have a google alert set for any changes to philip glass's wikipedia page

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kangra posted:

I do sometimes get bothered by Zoe Chace's voice. It can sound a bit affected when she's narrating, but not so much when interviewing. It does seem as though when she gets to a more serious part or the turn of the story that she adopts a more measured pace, sounds less natural,

a bunch of the people on public radio adopt a silly affected "NPR Tone" and i don't understand why certain reporters get singled out. i think it's something that's enforced as a condition of employment, actually. there was a younger gal who was the business reporter for minnesota public radio a few years ago, and when she first started i really enjoyed her pieces because when something was exciting she would actually sound, like, excited about it! whoa! but there was a point after which she adopted that awful drab monotone that too many radio reporters use, and i have to assume it's because she was sat down one day and told "yeah, umm, it would be great if you could talk, more like this" by some manager who sounded like lumbergh from office space.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

The worst public radio voice is that guy that does the movie reviews on Fresh Air.

now that you mention it, the on-air staff of fresh air is probably the epicenter of my eye rolling and annoyed grunting when it comes to public radio programs. most of them have that affected monotone robot thing going on, to which is added the most banal interviewing style, where we editorialize via moronic monologue introductions to the most incurious softball questions possible. ugh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sometimes she lobs a never ending train of softballs that were seemingly handed to her by her guest's PR team. other times she digs in on some really small point, and most of the time she does this I've felt like she chose to seize on that particular point not out of critically examining the issue or the person she's interviewing, but rather how "controversial" she thinks it will be among some hypothetical "npr liberal" listener who is coincidentally as dull as a box of rocks. or she adds a bunch of affected upward inflections to a "question" that she knows the answer to but maybe wants the listener to think is "controversial" or "unsettled" or that we will only know because she is asking this person this question. or her guest will tell a really heartwarming story about giving kites to children in refugee camps who have never seen kites before, and her response is "wow, that's a great story" with the tone of voice that says she is commenting on how awesome it would be to have that story to tell, but who cares about the those kids

im mad. mad about radio

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

holy poo poo, is this burger science episode new? it's the gooniest topic i have ever heard and it's amazing lol

e: and holy poo poo zoe chace schools the nerdy burger marketing dudes omg holy poo poo

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 12, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

Zoe Chace's accent wouldn't be so irritating if she didn't deliberately intensify it whenever she sees even the smallest micro-opportunity in her speech.

maybe you should write a letter to ira glass about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

Maybe you should write extremely retarded poo poo like this.

Lmao.

yes, criticizing someone's interview style for being milquetoast is in any way similar to claiming that one understands the inner psychological workings of some woman* and how that relates to her manner of speech. like are you even trying (you're obv not, but phrasing it like that is more polite)

*this is important because when people complain about the voice of someone on NPR it's always they're complaining about a woman

e:

and yes, including the fuckin postscript where i say "mad. mad about radio" shows i am 100% sincere and serious about this. fuckin hahahaha

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I bet when Ira Glass was little, he was one of those kids who couldn't say the R or L sounds, instead making a W sound. Hot analysis ITT

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

idk if this has been mentioned to death but, reminder that sarah koenig's dad was involved in one of the most successful advertisements of all time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Small

i go back and forth on whether her rich-girl upbringing allows her to be objective when it comes to her reporting on us lower classes, or if it makes her clueless

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i think if i was on a radio show it would be fun to try and build a demographic profile of the people who wrote in to complain about my voice. once i was fairly certain that a big percentage of them were interested in subject X, i would do a story on it and deliberately not do the "annoying" things that the whiners always complain about. until about halfway into the piece, where I'd turn them back on and crank em up to 11 :getin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the serial s2 thread is pretty funny to watch goons get all :spergin: and misunderstand the TAL style

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i've always wondered if glass was one of those kids who couldn't say the "arr" or "ell" sounds and either had speech therapy or just tried to figure out his own way of overcoming it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

another thing about some of the dudes on radio shows, like ira glass and kurt anderson (on studio 360), is that sometimes i swear they are trying to set a record for the number of gumballs in their mouth while being a radio host

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

are you deaf irl? ira glass sounds like he might be sucking on a couple of cough drops like at all times, how is this hard to giggle about at all

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I still don't understand why they labeled the other girl the "drama kid" when she is like 3 tiers of trainwreck drama club kid below her friend

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

planet money is terrible. adam davidson takes money (in the form of "speaking fees") from many of the large firms he covers as a "journalist". he also claims glass steagall was a bad law and its repeal had nothing to do with the economic events of the last decade. and don't forget chana joffe walt passing off unedited talking points from right wing think tanks that are bent on destroying the last vestiges of the american social safety net. burn that poo poo to the ground

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm listening to NPR One, and they just ran an archive episode that was basically "But wait, what if paying a living wage and getting rid of tips is a BAD idea?" The argument was basically that tipping helps offset the jealousy that waitstaff feel by serving us while we're having fun (which is why you tip at bars but not at supermarkets).

If you want an antidote to that nonsense, check out this episode of the Freakonomics podcast:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

the interview with the professor is pretty much the end of tipchat imo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo episodes like this are "good" if they help people understand how horrible it is to be assaulted that way. some people i know irl have privately shared their stories with me about being attacked, and i can honestly say hearing some of that stuff made me feel the angriest i have ever been in my life

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I caught part of this week's episode on the air yesterday, and it was great. They sent a bunch of their reporters over to a refugee camp in Greece, where lots of people are living from places like Syria and Afghanistan. It's got politics, discrimination, convoluted bureaucracies, near-death escapes, melancholy family stories, a goony teenager building a sweet fort, grandmas getting blown up by explosives, arguments over cigarette smoking, a dude trying to make a skype call... it's like pure distilled TAL :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I remember hearing the PI Moms episode a while back, but I think I only heard up through the part where the writer guy goes on the "ride-along". I'm glad I sat down and listened to the whole thing. By the end, I had a lot of respect for how the informant guy didn't break down from how completely surreal the entire thing had become. And yet somehow he and some of the other people involved manage to have a really good sense of humor about it, I laughed hard several times at some of the jokes they made about the crazy poo poo they got wrapped in.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, the first time it aired it was probably the most angry I've ever felt listening to a radio thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

just another reminder that the planet money team are probably all lizard people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i suppose we haven't reached the point where the idea of a "prestige podcast" is a thing :lol:

• Locked thread