Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
RE: Ira's voice

I hated it at first. I thought "who is this dweeb? He doesn't have the authority in his voice to comment on these stories, nevermind run his own show! Where's the timbre, where's the spark?" But he's grown on me of course. I think the main thing I like about his voice now is how relaxed and unproduced he can sound. He's also not afraid to let some emotion creep in, particularly shock or humour, and it mirrors the listener's feelings really well most of the time.

Anyway, has anyone heard the episode where he finds recordings of his dad's own radio career? His dad's radio voice is basically the quintessential 50's golden tone and it's hilarious to compare it to Ira.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/14/accidental-documentaries

It's also a brilliant episode overall. It's about found audio and the stories it can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

UltraRed posted:

I think the worst example of Ira's feigned surprise is in the history of money story, or maybe in the banking collapse story, where he acts surprised that, *gasp*, venture capital exists. He's a man in his 50s. He must think we're a bunch of dumb teenagers.

If this brand of feigned incredulity bothers you, never ever listen to Radiolab.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I actually really liked Radiolab because it sounded fresh when I first listened to it, yet now I find its style completely obnoxious, particularly how the hosts will quote the interviewee rather than let them speak for themselves. One of the good things about Ira is how he's able to let a story breathe and stand on its own without too much radio massaging.

This is one of my favourite TALs:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/172/24-hours-at-the-golden-apple

24hrs at the Golden Apple, a diner in Chicago. The team take turns interviewing patrons over a 24hr period.

• Locked thread