Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I'm curious if there are any episodes that people really don't like. I've been listening to TAL for a few years now, and without fail it's always been fascinating and great.

I have to really try hard to think of one, but the only episode I thought was bad was the one where they had an office contest to do stories pitched by their parents; they were all pretty terrible, if I recall. And even then, they admitted it was just a little experiment to try something new. I've heard some people don't like the Christmas/Holiday episodes, but they were fine to me.

(Also, I hope I'm not the only one who gets super annoyed when they do a story set entirely in another country. It's called This American Life for a reason. :911:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike Birbiglia's story in Fear of Sleep. That's my favorite episode and what basically got me hooked. It also got me to listen to episodes of The Moth for a while, which isn't that good in general, be can be fantastic on rare occasions.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

I really wanted to like The Moth based on the great stories they sometimes use on TAL. But, the thing is that they cherry-pick only the best stories out of the bunch for that show. However, The Moth Podcast is a mixed bag, and more often than not it veers into "my life overcoming drug addiction/depression/loneliness etc." or "look how quirky it is being me" which for me is boring and uninteresting.

And you're right, a lot of people need to learn to end a story properly. But I'd also posit that if they abruptly end with "so that's my story, thank you," there's a good chance they didn't have a very interesting story to begin with, and were probably just rambling about nothing.

Not that it is all bad. There was one with a woman who was shipwrecked that I thought was amazing, although it was pretty clear she had told that story a million times before.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Hoops posted:

There was one, maybe three months ago, where the whole thing was this woman whining about her relationship with her mother, and how messed up she was because of her non-abused, non-poor, non-endangered childhood. I completely rolled my eyes at that, it was the definition of the self-involved, neurotic, therapy-crutch cliche. I couldn't believe people were empathising and cheering, she should have been booed off the stage.

I remember that one! Ugg. It's exactly stories like that that made me stop listening. Some of the stories can be great (anything from the New York cop guy is always good) but the ratio of genuinely great stories to self-centered pablum was just too low.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Shane-O-Mac posted:

The worst part about the undercover cop story is that the kid didn't even want to buy the drugs. The undercover cop seduced him and strongly pressured him to do it. Fuuuuuck.

Meh. I don't completely buy his story - I seriously doubt he is as innocent as he claims to be. In any case, he doesn't seem AT ALL like a "bad kid" and worth the effort; seems like a nice guy, really, maybe just a little dopey. But great job police at wasting a ton of time and money to totally cock up his life.

The story in "Play the Part" (the one about the woman who diagnosed her husband with Aspergers) is the one of the gooniest stories I've ever heard on this show. I wanted to scream to them, "Maybe your husband is fine and is just an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat." They even 'diagnosed' him using an online survey (I know they saw a doctor afterwards, but uggg...)

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Sucks to your ASMR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Gio posted:

You know you may have a point. I think I will take the word of some scummy reporters because This Time It's Different!

Shut the gently caress up and go back to D&D.

• Locked thread