Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I love the idea that this episode had people Democrats and Republicans can like. On the one hand you have immigrants trying to live the American dream...and on the other you have literal Nazi apologists. One of these things is not like the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I think there's a lot of valid talk to be had about this but this dude is a real bad example because he did some poo poo like reveal off the record conversations for hilariously stupid justifications that transparently boil down to 'they make the story more interesting and I want to'. Like, there's a lot of wiggly space in the talk about how much 'access' a journalist should feel they have to a subject but he clearly felt that those lines don't even exist for a good story.

This is pretty much how I feel. The "but he's an atheist" argument seemed particularly specious. Atheists have families too, just because they're dead and gone doesn't mean their secrets can't cause others pain.

There's just something unseemly about a paranoid mentally ill man calling up a reporter, and that reporter using it as carte blanche to reveal all the details of his personal life. Even people who are used to talking to reporters usually get briefed on what to say and what to expect, because it's easy to say things in the moment without realizing how they will come back to bite you. This man had no way of guessing what would come out of his conversations.

• Locked thread