Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Econosaurus posted:

Link?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/135573355/this-american-life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Balloon, balloon, balloon, really, you have to try pretty hard to fail to offer a blowjob.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 23, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Affably Evil posted:

I loved the "Red State Blue State" episode, it was really interesting to hear about New Hampshire's situation and compare it to what's happening in the federal government.

The New Hampshire story was also interesting after having recently listened to episode 330, where Steve Vaillancourt is much less the protagonist, as little as he was in the Red State Blue State story.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Ditto. I've loved every Sedaris book until his animal fables one.

Does anyone else have trouble paying attention to TAL's fiction segments in general?

Yes, though I did like the weird David Rakoff rhyming cockroach-Seuss conversation.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lady Gaza posted:

I like Planet Money but it's worth bearing in mind that they are all neoliberal free marketeers and as such their explanations of the financial crises are heavily biased in that direction. For example, in one episode they compared the national budget of Greece to a household budget and used that analogy to justify austerity. Any sane economist would tell you that national and household budgets are in no way similar. I contacted them about it but they didn't respond, which was a shame. I prefer their episodes that don't deal with major economic issues; for example I liked the episode about the pros and cons of silver/paper dollars, or the one about how shell companies work.

Were they actually campaigning for austerity? I recall a few about the main problem being the Greek government being utterly useless and the complications caused by being in the Eurozone, but nothing saying that austerity had actually helped Greece.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

I really don't think this episode was about disability being bad. I thought they pretty clearly said that more people being on disability is in part a result of the failures of welfare reform: people that should be getting actual welfare are instead getting this de facto welfare. They basically fully agree that more poverty leads to more people on disability. I really don't get all the screeching about it.

The blog post on the PM site at least definitely said "disability is bad" at least once, most notably talking about Jahleel, the kid with a learning disability. They may be right; there's certainly the potential for perverse incentives in the situation they described (getting $700 a month to fund whatever can help Jahleel succeed in school), but they didn't really present much data to back up a lot of their more damning claims--everything's anecdotes. The data-based correlations they did present aren't really that surprising. Planet Money probably isn't really equipped to gather all the data they'd need, but the SSA probably does, and they weren't interviewed beyond the bit about funding running out.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm listening to the yellow fever story right now and it is far more disturbing than people whispering on youtube. This Steven guy disturbs me on some fundamental level.

Next, watch the Louie Theroux Thai Brides episode. The TAL yellow fever guy just doesn't compare.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

http://open.spotify.com/user/theodolite/playlist/1kN3PH6SQOzqcWSIhVpK7H also
The Cinematic Orchestra track maybe.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Phone posted:

I heard part of the prologue on the radio this weekend, and was looking forward to listening to this week's episode.

Then I read that it's a joint venture with loving Ally Bank's Planet Money, brought to you by Ally Bank, and I lost all interest. The

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in patent litigation.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Phone posted:

Ally Bank, known for their heavy involvement in the welfare system.

So what, are you affirming that they have a vested interest in neither?

I think someone mentioned that a private unemployment insurance company underwrites them also, which could actually be a conflict of interest.

In other news, I'm going to stop listening to TAL altogether because Reputation.com and Squarespace are completely clueless about violence in Chicago schools and animal fables.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hitch posted:

Was anyone else waiting for the NSA story on This American Life this week? After all, it was their take on what happened in America this week, and that was a pretty big story -- at least I thought.

Maybe they're waiting to do a full show on it?

I'd think it be hard to now--what's actually going on isn't entirely clear.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/506/secret-identity

This week on This American Life: furries.

Possibly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The Moth gave us Life After Blues Clues and that's all that matters to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwmtkFPYXsg

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

To address your complaints about animal fables, this week's David Sedaris story will instead feature CRUSHING SADNESS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

AstroWhale posted:

Did anyone else skip the parts of the last episode where the comedians talked. I found them seriously boring.
But that Price is Right story was great.

Wyatt Cenac was great. Sweet Dave <3

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I'm most sad that they cut the part where Ira talks about taking ecstasy: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/may/03/ira-glass-the-first-time-i-took-ecstasy-my-anxiety-lifted-away

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Secx posted:

Is the first part of this week TAL (538) a repeat? I remember hearing this story about black/Hispanic kids getting suspended disproportionately more often than their white/asian peers.

When they repeat shows they use the old episode number/it doesn't show up at the top of the archive list, so no.

I think they have included sections from older shows in newer shows sometimes, but none spring to mind.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Eggnogium posted:

Implication: Having a kickstarter means selling your dignity.

This one is pretty true.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

nerdpony posted:

Yesterday morning, I was catching up on this thread and came across the conversation about the stories about being high episode; I actually recently overheard Ira telling someone that that episode wasn't worth listening to and it was, in his opinion, one of the worst episodes they've done ever.

Strange, I really liked the episode, though I agree that the original idea didn't pan out, but all the stories that are actually on the show are things you can relate to if you are a, or know people who are regular drug users.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

zakharov posted:

edit: ugh I'm reading the Reddit comments about this episode and it's awful.

quote:

Reddit comments

quote:

awful

Were you expecting anything else?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

bad day posted:

No, there's a very early episode that isn't in the TAL archives and you can't find it in any of the user-created archives on file-sharing services or YouTube because apparently nobody kept a recording of it.

Also, does anybody have the URL that takes you directly to the TAL mp3 files? A few years ago someone sent me a link where you can just add the episode number to the end of the url and listen to/download that specific episode instead of streaming it through their site. I live in China and the TAL portal doesn't work that well here, but the episodes themselves are not blocked by the firewall because they are hosted on a different server.

http://paranoia.dubfire.net/2007/01/new-location-for-this-american-life.html

Same one, I don't think they've changed it in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Immigrants come here for two reasons. First is that Minnesota is great. Second is that winter keeps out the riff-raff. This means that we only receive the highest quality immigrants, people who have the fortitude and inventiveness to dig their car out of a two-foot snowfall at 6 in the morning, so they can get to work on time.

Third because Minnesota has a desperate shortage of native flavorful spicy food. The real purpose of bringing immigrants in is to make the population of Saint Cloud understand the joys of kitfo.

• Locked thread