Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd love to see them do a bit more on the various types of camps, too. Some camps are weeks-long programs that are basically a whole long vacation from the family and do evolve the strong tribal behavior they had in this program. Others are shorter and more intensive (only a week long) although the counselors will usually stay the whole summer. Those can generate really strong emotions too as you're trying to get the very most out of the experience and not have anything go wrong. Day camps are another type as well (the sessions are like the first kind but the kids go home each night so it's more like structured play). Even something just comparing how the counselors act in those circumstances would be neat to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I always thought of Rest Stop as one of their worst episodes ever and I'm surprised they replayed it. It was one of those times they went out and hoped to get some great stories but simply didn't and probably couldn't afford to waste two days of work.

The main story in How I Got Into College is pretty good (perhaps one gripe with the show is that it's really a one-story show, and not about getting into college at all). Even if it's not the greatest ever, it's a exactly the sort of thing I'd expect TAL to do. It is in some way a very American story, and it provides the opportunity for the questions that it seems the show likes to discuss. In contrast to stories about Eritreans in Sweden and lackluster repeats, it's nice to have a good one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's also going to be a story on Medium.com.

Another upcoming episode sounds interesting, they want you to tell them about the time you got high.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

There's a lot of "my sister had cancer" or stories as well, or "I adopted a baby the end" stories. I think it fools a lot of people because the story teller will sometimes show a lot of emotion while telling it, but if you think about it it's just an unremarkable story being told by someone that it didn't even happen to.

Thought you were talking about the 'Cry for Help' episode for a minute. The stories themselves weren't that terrible, but they really really needed to be edited. The first one wastes a lot of time taking about the media circus even though it's fairly irrelevant to the story, the second one started strong and then faded into blandness and shilling for someone else's podcast, and the third gives us ten minutes of someone blathering about her sister's 'technically undiagnosed autism' before getting to the painfully obvious turn. There's a reason the better stories like that involve someone outside the family doing the story.

vvvv
It was a wonderful thing that happened to her and I certainly felt happier for hearing it. It just needed to be trimmed in the telling.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 17, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Some weed, a little baggie of weed. Weed is legal in Cali, right, but federally it's not which is just an awesome mash of logic.

This story took place in Florida, though*. Even in California, it's not quite legal for everyone (although de facto it pretty much is for anyone who wants it). Colorado and Washington state (where Seattle is) did just legalize it. There's actually a good TAL story on the twisted state-federal logic from this last year, Nipped in the Bud.

As for the kid, he deserves the blame for doing something stupid and illegal, but the cop seemed to be trying her hardest to put him in that position. It's no use saying you're actually helping people when instead of keeping them away from danger you push them toward it and see if they fall. That said, I think it's hard to tell just from what we heard in the story how much was constructed by the editors, or the lawyers, or other people involved. They made some genuine statements at times, but not a lot of it felt authentic. Maybe that's why the musical version works better; it's presented less realistically.

*It's interesting to me that for many of the stories they air, how people talk, what they are talking about, and how they describe things will almost instantly give most Americans listening an idea of where the story is set. I guess it's sort of lost on international audiences, but it's something that's often done well and kind of subtly.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

dongsbot 9000 posted:

i just listened to 388. rest stop and i really liked that one what are some other shows where it's just quick windows into ordinary lives.

24 Hours at the Golden Apple is the gold standard of that type. There aren't that many that work as well. '129 Cars' has some of that feeling (except the people are all of a type - buying and selling cars), and 'Notes from Camp' kind of does too (there most of the captured lives are kids).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Is it me, or was the editing on the last story from this week (Selling Yourself) completely insane? First she's talking about working in a nursing home, then she talks about being "accepted" and talks for two minutes before saying what's she accepted to, then suddenly she's a chemist and we keep cutting out and coming back in mid-conversation. Who listened to that and said "Nah, this is good to put on the radio"?

I'm not going to go listen to it again, but I thought they said this was either from somewhere else or just produced by someone who has her own show. Which makes the whole show apparently just promoting other people's stuff (except maybe Bribiglia) which I guess is what to do when the topic is self-promotion.

Also, the music for the Martian girl segment was atrocious. This might be one of the worst-produced episodes TAL has ever put out (and even if it's not 'their' producers' fault, they still chose to air it).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Old rear end post, but are there any more like this one? Just regular people talking about regular poo poo without anyone trying to be all profound or political.

You might like Rest Stop(#388), which sort of tries to do the same thing as Golden Apple, although I felt it was a bit less successful. The Georgia Rambler (#413) is also good for more ordinary stories, though it's not quite as raw.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He offered 'basic pieces of a policy', and according to the story had lawyers backing him up saying that 'no policy' couldn't be supported, but that didn't seem to be acceptable.

The thing is as much as they claim otherwise, this is primarily an interpersonal conflict story, not one about what's wrong with this agency. There was so little presented around it, and the reporter was so willing to paint her bosses as the bad guys and distort what they said, that the end product comes out exactly the wrong way. Regardless of how I feel about what's wrong at the agency level, it only made me sympathetic to Silva and Kim.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Before even getting to the witness's testimony, there is the question of who is the most likely person to have committed the crime. Someone recently broken-up with is going to top that list, and if there aren't any other suspects, it's easier to convict them.

I know that this is not how the law is claimed to operate, but for a jury trial, especially in a murder case, there's a strong tendency to want to find somebody guilty.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sounds like Episode 4 might get into some more of the reasons why he was suspected/did it, possibly.

Anyone else finding it a bit odd that there hasn't even been a mention of the victim's side (even a "they didn't want to discuss it"), except by way of the case's evidence? I could even understand if they felt they shouldn't come to them, but I'd expect some acknowledgment to that effect, unless I missed it.

Rabia Chaudry is blogging her reaction to the show which could be an interesting read.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I almost think it would be better if there was confirmation that Adnan did it. Or at the very least it didn't start off with the implication that she's there to clear his name. Then there could be a discussion of how the justice system works, and how people's perceptions of someone can be right or wrong [and how their biases might affect that].

Based on what we know (which isn't much really), it seems really likely Adnan did it, Jay helped him, and neither of them will tell the full story. The legal case against him was difficult to prove, however, and -- partly due to his own lawyer's incompetence, partly due to a poor narrative constructed by the state -- he maybe didn't get a fair trial.

The question of how the law should operate when all parts of it are imperfect, and whether that produced the best result anyway, might be a good enough show. Instead we get a lot of protesting his innocence based mostly on criticism of how the case was handled.

The pro-Adnan side seems to want to discredit Jay without accusing him directly, and yet doesn't have many other people to point at as suspects. Unless there was some violent confrontation somehow unnoticed by everyone at the school, or on the way to where Hae Min was going, it had to be someone she knew. The show itself so far, although it's not explicitly pro-Adnan, seems to want to discredit him as well, since from the start it put them in a double-Jesus situation. There's no reason they aren't both lying, just about different things.

I suspect that Jay is probably more of an accomplice than he stated, and the police and the state's lawyers likely knew it, but needed to get him to work with them or a killer might have gone free. He had a vested interest in lying about his own involvement. If you eliminate his version of the story, you eliminate all the problems with the constructed timeline. But then there is likely no grounds for conviction, since nobody else is available to present evidence.

Maybe it is better that the truth is unknowable. I'd suppose the story wouldn't draw as big of an audience without the central question, and might well have more staying power that way.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 28, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He says he plans to put it back up, once he figures out how to scale it to the demand. There are also a lot of sample sentences if you scroll down. It's kind of like a [more] abusive ELIZA. Probably be fun to add a GLadOS text-to-speech voice.

Language Log (referenced indirectly via Mark Liberman on the show) had fairly good coverage on vocal fry. Their most recent talks about yet another supposed theory for its 'cause', and this piece considers just how old it might be.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I normally don't listen to repeats, but I caught the first part of this one, and the follow-up on the guy who was put in jail after 11 years of mistakenly being left free was pretty amazing.

You can hear the update starting around 23:50 in the new episode.

He was released from prison when a judge ruled that incarcerating him would be a waste of the state's time and money. Then a few months later he was arrested and jailed for a robbery. It wasn't until three months after that they found security footage proving his innocence, and he was freed again.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He seemed pretty happy about the Burroughs episode when he introduced it, though, and also didn't produce that one. And it wasn't as bad as the terrible Federal Reserve story (another one produced elsewhere).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yep, that's the one. 'Secret recordings of Camen Segarra' I believe, from last year. Featuring a person who literally says she fails to understand what her boss was telling her and a reporter who agrees, and then also goes on to fail to understand other words used by those people. Just really terrible reporting, and you could tell TAL really wanted it to be seen as a grand metaphorical story.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

New episode this week is good. I kind of want Chana Joffe-Walt to do the 2nd season of Serial, because even this episode alone would have done well by going more in-depth.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, the disability piece was bad but 'Three Miles' hints at more nuance. But since it has a lot of narrative to get through, the episode only devotes a few minutes to consideration of causes and what could be done differently. Which is why I think the topic would be well-served in a longer-form show.

zakharov, I'd be curious to hear [if you want to share] any thoughts about the show or if you knew any similar scholarship kids.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Captain's Log (last week's episode, now) felt like a classic TAL episode, complete with a terrible short story that seems to have a grand sweep of themes and symbolism and ultimately says almost nothing.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's #562 [The Problem We All Live With], but a lot of people have had the feed screw up on them, myself included, so you may need to mess around with it to get it working. [I look forward to the ATP episode in which Marco discusses what to do when the world's most popular podcast messes up its feed.]

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I do sometimes get bothered by Zoe Chace's voice. It can sound a bit affected when she's narrating, but not so much when interviewing. It does seem as though when she gets to a more serious part or the turn of the story that she adopts a more measured pace, sounds less natural, and the period-doubling (one aspect of 'vocal fry') also gets more noticeable. As a check, I picked a point in the last episode: At about 43 minutes, she seems natural. About 30 seconds later, the story gets more intense and there seem to be more subharmonics thrown in.

A really unscientific and casual comparison of two voices with 'creak' suggests that it may be more noticeable when women do it if they are dropping farther below their typical vocal range.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

S-Town sounds a lot like "Serial Season 3, but we aren't calling it that because we don't want it to be overhyped".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sarah Koenig (and Julie Snyder) showed up on Wait, Wait this weekend and talked a bit about S-Town, including what it almost got named instead of what they went with.

Koenig also mentioned that she is working on Serial Season 3, but was very tight-lipped about what it was about or when it would be released. Also I think her normal relaxed speaking voice is so much more pleasant than her radio reporter voice.

• Locked thread