Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The latest episode of "The Heart" (another amazing radiotopia show) did this same story, but produced much better and with some more details - even if you heard this version already listen to The Heart version, it's way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
My favorite podcast of all time is Love+Radio, it's like atmospheric storytelling (and if you like it there's a guy on SA that makes a similar one called The Lapse which is getting really good). 99 percent invisible is also good and by far their most popular. Actually they're all good, there's only like 13 and there's maybe one or two that don't grab me, IDK what you're into but check out a few, none of them are usually over 30 mins.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'll make a radiotopia thread tonight if there isn't already one to revive from the dead, I'm a huge fan.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
eh i "got it" but it just wasn't very moving or insightful, which it should have been considering how the author was all writing 101 with the faux-beatnik ~untamed stream of consciousness~ poo poo, never really went anywhere. It was kind of cool but not a quarter of a TAL episode cool.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm almost hesitant to criticize this episode because there's so many nasty people on the internet that hate on fat people in a really gross way that I don't even want people to think that I'm a part of that in even the tiniest way.

But I thought the Lindy West part was just too cute (a common TAL criticism I have), like if you just own that poo poo it's ok. To me that puts too much of the responsibility on the overweight person, as if they need to find the "courage" to "come out" as themselves in order to be treated with respect. I like any story about people gaining more self-esteem but her story seemed a little backward to me. Dan Savage is a bit of a dick though, and I wish he would have discussed it publicly. I like his column and he was sweet on Michael Ian Black's podcast last week, but he definitely sniffs his own farts and needs to come off his high horse when an employee feels hurt and attacked in the workplace. That is some leadership 101 stuff, and like a poster above mentioned it felt like they gave him a pass because he's a fellow quasi-alternative journalist.

The best segment IMO was Roxanne Gay talking about being fat and black because that really hurt to listen to. I'm a tall, fit, white man so hearing someone speak about being treated like garbage in every interaction (even before speaking to the other party) makes me remember that ~privilege~ is real even though a lot of the internet refuses to admit that.

I would have liked an hour of that rather than some of the feel-good totally-not-advertisements for Lindy West's book. The way they framed everything gave the impression that the other stories we're offshoot interpretations of West's ideas, for example book-ending the episode with excerpts from her work. IMO it was actually three ways of thinking simplified and generally presented as one.

ps - I think that Elnas convo w her boyfriend was weird, but tbh i think if i told my girlfriend that we were recording for a nationally syndicated program we'd be brainstorming ideas on how to make it compelling, including asking "the tough questions" that normally wouldnt come up.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 23, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Scott Carrier is cool tho. The part I didn't like is that it was supposed to be this rock bottom to the top story, and the fact that the guy always had welcoming parents and privilege and the ability to always buy equipment to record his croatian backpacking party adventures killed it. It sucks that his friend died but the setup for the kick-me-while-im-down reveal didn't translate the way they wanted it to. I really feel like something special was there, but my man with his prestigious job after some typical listless mid-20's comfortable wandering wasn't the right vehicle for it.

Also the Scott Carrier story that he cites as his inspiration doesn't end on a hopeful note, it's just desert burnouts with untreated mental problems trying to not get arrested. Radiolab storyteller mournfully points out that all his recordings w/ his buddy are all about him, and then in a retrospective perverts a depressing grinder of a production into an affirmation.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Is mystery show done? I liked most of them but haven't heard anything in a long time, which is strange cause I feel like it was pretty successful

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Gimlet posted a statement a few hours ago that didn't even dance around it, it just says it was too ambitious (expensive) for their current business model or something like that. I've listened to a few other of their podcasts and (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't usually have those long-form super custom advertising features like MS did so maybe they already knew it was gonna be an undertaking they couldn't budget for without lots of support.

I'm kinda bummed but I doubt they'd drop something so popular without a darn good reason, and also starlee kine will be fine and can probably float around the scene pretty well and make stuff just as good wherever she lands.

e: also the Surprisingly Awesome I listened to today just announced a "break" starting after next weeks episode lasting until after the new year, maybe Gimlet is working some stuff out. Nothing mentioned on yesterday's Sampler but that probably costs almost nothing to produce anyway.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 7, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Ya goony is a good way to put it, I like his approach in theory but not as helpful in municipal court. There are plenty of places to get philosophical with a law background, and it's not in a situation where it's got you weighing the implications of waiving a fine for a homeless guy's 2012 open container citation.

I did laugh at people getting all serious-law-guy with the courtroom drama terminology lol

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Just started S-town, p good so far. First thing I noticed was that the S stands for "poo poo", I thought it was shorthand for St. Petersburg or some other S-city. The actual reason makes it cooler to me. Also, I was already sick of that master clockmaker metaphor so I'm glad they got it out the way right away, as to spare ~my immersion~.

Anyway I look forward to talking about it, I'm assuming in here?

e; lol this guy definitely a goon

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 28, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Crisco Kid posted:

gently caress "KyKenKee" Kenneth and his entire family for real, though. I hope somebody snatches that land up from him ASAP.

*doesn't dispute or deny obvious KKK reference*

Wow, another offended liberal - sorry we upset you in the election.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I don't dislike Sarah Koenig at all but whenever I heard her voice at the very beginning of each episode I'm glad they switched it up and left her out the narration for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I didn't make that connection, and I am the smartest person in the whole world.

• Locked thread