Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Goddamn, 3 pages and no mention of the episode that got me hooked. Mothafuckin' Pimp Anthropology!

From their website: This entire show is devoted to just one story. A former pimp tells how he and three childhood friends became pimps in the 1970s in Oakland, California. He explains all the elaborate "rules of the game" among pimps and prostitutes of that era. He didn't have the stomach for the violence of pimping, and failed as a pimp because of that. Tamar Brott reports.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/127/pimp-anthropology

It's just... classic. Just amazing to hear this dude describe pimping in the 70's era and just... hilarious.

Also I think it's called Neighbours or something but there's one episode from way back in the 90's wherein they interview Mr. Rogers and ask him how to solve a dispute between hispanic stoop-chilling youths and the local community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I just listened to #142 Barbara which follows the life of a black single mother in South Chicago for 7 months. They should really do a follow-up show on this family, that was a great episode.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I see what you mean soggybagel but I can't help thinking it would be worse if they just had a hard-journalism approach of maintaining neutral tone at all times. Ira should be sincere on the show, and if something amazes him I'd like to know that.

• Locked thread