Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A large part is the real preventative measures are really in our culture's grasp and not in the hands of any politician or special interest group.

Have you seen what school lunches look like under the healthy lunches initiative of the Obama administation? A small piece of the most artificial tasting pizza in the world, some carrots, and maybe a dab of a side or a browning piece of fruit. Compare this to what the other lunches around the world look like. Same calories, better nutrition, and far more appealing. Like most things, Americans are willing to jump for the lowest bidder. The Obamas' "teach kids to eat healthy" campaign completely ignores the fact that the children don't prepare the meals at home or choose which foods they're surrounded by. It's like lamenting the lack of a gym class. Running a few laps then going out to be picked last for Basketball doesn't push them towards a healthier lifestyle as an adult.

The Oesity epidemic isn't something we warn about in the future... it is something that WE WERE warned about, and is already here! The detrimental health affects for people aged 10-35 who are morbidly obese are actually pretty rare, and usually have a genetic disposition for them. It's beyond that age that the piper comes for his pay. The people who need to lose weight are the people who are 35+ and sporting a gut. They're the ones driving the health system to ruins. Try telling a fat 62 year old to lose weight. You'll never get anything from them.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The part where they laughed it off is what got to me. He doesn't like to use condoms! Hahaha!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Everything about our legal system is poo poo.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Trump has tipped the scales so hard that our calibration is all off and we don't know what the gently caress.

The fact that people look to Paul "I wish Ayn Rand would peg me" Ryan as the hope for the Republican party should stand l rights movement as a testament to how screwed up we are.

I just keep hoping against hope that once this election is over we will have a day of reckoning where every chiron on every news channel will denote who supported Trump forever more so we know how full of poo poo they are.

I was actually hoping for something like this. Sort of like how everyone marched with the civil movement while nobody spat on them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I miss George W. All he did was enact regressive policy bassed on sky fairies and start wars.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

They mention it on that episode. If I remember correctly it's because that's where the nonprofits which volunteered to help them a out are based out of.

You mean the white people?!? :rolleyes:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SousaphoneColossus posted:

yeah, was this the first necrophilia story on TAL?

If the answer to this is no, I don't think we should reply to this comment.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The judge sounded pretty naive. He talked about processes but he didn't seem to realize is that the "process" is people. He'd make an excellent goon.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

Ya goony is a good way to put it, I like his approach in theory but not as helpful in municipal court. There are plenty of places to get philosophical with a law background, and it's not in a situation where it's got you weighing the implications of waiving a fine for a homeless guy's 2012 open container citation.

I did laugh at people getting all serious-law-guy with the courtroom drama terminology lol

I didn't laugh, because subjecting people to a system completely stacked against them because it's so arcane it requires multiple years of graduate school to understand is actually quite horrific and fundamentally unjust.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, now I gotta listen to this.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it would be bigger, like a true maze. You can walk out of that thing.

Also, the final episode actually made me :unsmith: since I could find a way to relieve my anger at Jon.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm in the middle of episode 5 but yeah it really was a poo poo town after all! They did not lie

Lots of twists and turns, don't guess its conclusion.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't get that impression either.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

I listen to NPR in the car and like to play a game where I see how long it takes them to shoehorn some minority or immigrant group into a story where they don't belong. I swear they'd do a story on bees and it'd be about a Muslim Somali refugee family raising bees in Brooklyn, which they'd connect back to the travel ban.

HOW DARE YOU SAY IT DOESN'T BELONG [/FakeOutrage]

Listening to the podcast, a huge portion of these stories are someone making things much more difficult than they need to be because of some cultural hang up, or just plain being a fish out of water who doesn't know how to navigate their situation.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

See, this is stupid because that's not what I'm saying. This is a format they use because it tests well with their base demographic. It's just another example of how marketing techniques have leaked into news content. I could care less about where people are from I just think it's lame to have such an obvious moral agenda and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Not only that but I'm really not interested in what people who think they need to teach me values have to say. Unfortunately there's nothing else halfway decent on the radio.

I think part of it is they were investigating their 20,000 story about news topic of the day and then they actually found a story that broke out of the norm.

Still beats the mould of, "I was talking to this person I go to temple with, and you would not believe what is going on in their family!"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

that's literally describing an NPR conspiracy

No, it's literally not? :confused:

NPR does stories about major news topics, and if they find a secondary story along the way they flesh it out to another content block? :confused:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

Totally and he didn't give one poo poo about taking a school bus worth of junk and trying to build a house with it. He probably stole a lot more before and after johnny bs death.

Definitely. I let out a WTF when he said he took John's vehicles. What the hell are you going to do with vehicles registered to someone else, Tyler?! Forge the deed and sell them, apparently.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Things other people do after a guy dies are the dead guy's fault." -Goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

Outside the context of that last awful page it pretty much just describes Planet Money.

To be value signaling, I think they'd have to talk about what great deals they have and how everything's great

• Locked thread