Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This week's episode about the P.I. Mom's thing was really good. I appreciate the theme thing, but I find the episodes where only one story is told tends to be my favourite.

It also shows how unbelievably good their journalism is. The guy who ran the P.I. agency? Refuses to talk to anyone about it. Every single one of the moms also won't even give a statement. The channel that bought the show refuses to talk about it and won't allow any access to the television material shot for it. But the guy still manages to do enough research to get an hour's worth of content about it anyways.

Some of my other favourite episodes include:

The Super, about an apartment superintendent who had a bunch of crazy stories and half of them turned out to be true, and a guy who made a promise to himself to not be a cold, emotionless person his father was at the job, until he encounters renters who put his bleeding heart persona to the test.

Origin Story, which details how a famous copywriter in the 50s feels screwed over most of his ideas being claimed by someone else, how the controversial precendent regarding how the U.S. government can throw lawsuits out of court if they feel it could compromise national security is based on a complete lie, and how a screenplay written by the host of "Wait, wait, don't tell me" made the transition from a gritty political drama set in Cuba to a brainless romance.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Now I can start bitching about the songs they play way too much, like the theme from the graffiti artist and 06 Ghosts I from NIN.
The weird thing is every single time they use the theme music from Moon in one of their pieces I spend a good half hour trying to remember what it was from.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

This week's episode about one Apple fan's trip to Foxconn is loving heartbreaking. I know it's not just Apple that uses them, but loving hell.
Yeah, when I listened to it, I originally acted smug as a non-Apple fan until I looked online and found out most of the electronics I own may have been made at Foxconn. Kinda made me feel like poo poo, especially because I chose most of it because it was the cheapest price at the time.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Also to be fair, that original TAL episode already spent a fair amount of time finding counterpoints to some of Daisey's claims. Which actually makes it worse because then Daisey kept responding with statements like "I know what I saw."

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Zorak posted:

That kid at the beginning of last week's podcast :dogstare: Having a psychopath kid would be one of the most horrifying things I think. There's almost literally nothing you can do.

As someone currently in discussions with my girlfriend about whether or not either of us wants to have kids (I kinda don't), this week's episode was fantastic for pushing my viewpoint. Jesus. And yeah, in addition to that kid being a horrible monster like a real life "We Need To Talk About Kevin", if he continues that way, I bet you the mother is going to get a whole lot of scrutiny from the community assuming it's just her terrible parenting skills that made him that way.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Look at this dummy over here. He thinks it's standard in America for the system to be extremely careful when judging the guilt of a poor coloured guy.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

One thing this podcast does that I like is exposing some of the procedural workings of the crime detection and court systems, as well as the (necessary?) biases of those involved. For example, it's not really an American murder police's job to be fair, his job is to find the most likely suspect and send that to prosecution. It's prosecution's job to do their best to convict. To that end, you have detectives and lawyers who basically have to hold true to the stories they've come up with to describe the murder, because their job is to speak for the dead, not give the suspects a fair shake. The court/judge/jury system is supposed to ensure the fair shake, and the defense lawyer is supposed to balance out the biased attacks of the prosecution with those of its own.

It opens questions about how hosed up that is as a system as well. The horror of being an innocent person caught up in legal fiction in search of a scapegoat is pretty compelling and scary.
Yeah, I'm also reminded of that bit on TAL where that cop realizes years after the fact that a teenaged girl gave a false confession which ruined her life, because he was so certain he had the right person that he kept the interrogation going until she thought there was no way out.

I, too, have dropped any interest in following the story to determine whether or not he is guilty. In fact, my guess is that's kind of the point of the series. It's not like all the TV shows filled with a variety of forensic evidence. A large portion of people who are in prison for crimes like murder are in there due to circumstantial evidence, and you can turn over leaves and look over documents and make enquiries forever, unsure what is an important clue and what is a meaningless distraction, and you rarely will have a clear cut "he did it" or "he didn't do it" at the end.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I liked the episode a lot. And yeah, I had opinions about certain voices on the show but never knew about that vocal fry thing, nor did I find anything about them unbearable. Although David Sedaris reading aloud a story about talking animals sometimes comes extremely close.

Sivart13 posted:

Anyone who tells an oft-harassed woman on the internet that they need to have a thicker skin has no idea how thick of a skin you need to put up with this poo poo.
It's also a bullshit hypocritical argument in general meant to dismiss how terrible you are being. "You should have a thicker skin" says someone filled with uncontrollable and all-encompassing rage that lasts for months because a woman said a video game he liked had sexist overtones. I think that Lindy West piece kind of hit the nail on the head with that one guy. It's impossible to blanket diagnose everyone, and I'm sure some people spend a lot of trolling because they are just assholes in general, but I can only imagine that a big segment of those kind of people have overwhelming self-loathing issues because if you had anything going on in your life, it's unlikely you would have the ability to put so much time and effort into something so inconsequential to your everyday life.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 29, 2015

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Now maybe what we didn't see are the millions and millions of other trolls she tried to contact who continued to play their part as opposed to the part she wanted them to play. Maybe this guy is the one in a million troll she needed to make her story compelling.
She does state in the piece that out of all the people who have ever sent her mean comments, he's the only one to come out an apologize. It's possible he's the one over-compensating by just regretting his actions and reading too much into why he did and creating introspection on his life state at the time that might not be there. But as others have pointed out, highly doubtful that she is lying about who that guy is on the phone and TAL just took things at her word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I'm always surprised at the reaction of that disability episode because when I listened to it, I could not think of a more left-wing story. It never gave the impression of "lazy poors" to me. On the contrary, it speaks to one portion of a growing issue of governments completely misrepresenting true unemployment rates, of cutting welfare benefits and other social services forcing those who are impoverished to abuse loopholes, and as a result ends up as another initiative that is reactionary rather than proactive. A lot of that Media Matters critique seems to be angry at assertions some right-wing pundits have made based on the story, not anything claimed by the actual story.

• Locked thread