Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would agree that the game has finally really clicked for me as well. Be sure to turn on most of the stuff above the minimap, it really provides a nice graphic for what's going on in space.

The leaders are good as well. I just wish they would totally redo the interface for designing ships, it drives me nuts. Oh and they will be adding a way to only design certain kinds of ships while leaving other kinds on automation. That will be very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

This game looks right up my alley but gently caress, $90? What kind of pricing is that?

Stupid. The game is good but the pricing is WTF?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I swear I could cut and paste from nearly every gaming forum about this game. Yes it's overpriced, no they aren't changing it, and literally hundreds of gamers have complained about it. I wish like hell they'd do something so every Distant Worlds thread doesn't look like a broken record. Clearly complaining does absolutely nothing. They are idiots and you just have to look at the price and say "I'll buy it anyway" or "not for me".

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dipes posted:

It's Matrix Games. They absolutely refuse to put their games on Steam and they never discount their poo poo. It's not up to the Devs.

Do I have a surprise for you! (and me too). Today through September 4th, Distant Worlds and the two expansions are on sale at 33% off. $60.

So they finally did listen. I would consider it worth $60. A little on the high side but not ridiculous like $90.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

A few noob questions here because the Galactopedia is... less than helpful.

1. Is there an easy way to figure out what all of the resources do? I guess I could just go through and read them one by one, but it'd be nice to see a list of "these are fuel gases," "these ones make things blow up," and so on.

2. Is there a way to stop ships that are operating at the extreme end of their range from turning around and going back home to refuel if I don't constantly babysit them? I was trying to land troops on a planet that was very very close to the end of my transport's range, but definitely within it, and it kept turning around even though it was within the right system.

3. Is there anything in particular that I need to be doing that I might not realize? The game does such a good job of running itself that I'm not sure where my input is actually required. I've been directing exploration to an extent, taking over independent civilizations, and calling in strikes on pirate bases. Anything I should be keeping an eye on otherwise?

It's not particularly important to know what the resources do. What's the most important is to know what resources you'll need to build what you need to build. That's in the Ship Design screen. Also if you use the Expansion Planner, it will show you how much you have of each resource, how many sources of it that you have, and your demand for it. Caslon, Steel, and Hydrogen are important at the beginning of the game, and you can use the Expansion Planner to find out where you can buy more resources.

If your ships make it to that place you are trying to send them to and don't have enough fuel to come back, there's nothing you can do except wait the couple of hours for them to come back as they will barely move without fuel. This is why what you are doing is not generally a good idea.

Again, use the Expansion Planner to see what weaknesses you have or might get. I set up my own researching because I like to try out different weapons. I also like to get to bigger ships as soon as possible. You can keep research automated but still make your own research choices so that in case you forget, something is still researching.

I would also suggest starting the game with the limitation on how far out you want colonies...too far out and if you have any aggressive races nearby, they'll simply declare war on you and take them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You can do your own research, just ignore the popup and choose to keep it automated. Automated research won't write over any research you want to do yourself. I would let it form fleets for you (it does a reasonable job of that) but if you want to build some ships, go ahead and build them. I find it doesn't tell you to build enough ships, so I always build more than what it recommends. Be sure to have at least 10 exploration ships as soon as possible for example, they are really important in this game. You can let it automate the ship designs, at least at first it's not a big deal and the AI only has so much to work with anyway. Use the expansion planner!!! It will tell you where you need to expand. If you see a strategic resource with a high demand and only one or two sources (this is likely to be hydrogen, steel, or caslon) you need to send out more exploration ships otherwise your empire will come to a very slow halt. I let the game build resort and other luxury stuff with the constructors, not a big deal and it usually does a decent job of getting those up and running.

Just some thoughts to get you started.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It was just on sale for about six weeks over the holidays. Before that it hadn't been on sale in years.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They increasing a dollar profit by x% is totally irrelevant. Not saying that's what happened, but please spare me the percentage increases. Steam offers free marketing and is clearly a successful platform for both established publishers and indie developers. They are simply stupid.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nessin posted:

Aside from the fact that Matrix is a publisher, thus inserting another cog in the wheel that A-Sharp and Spiderweb don't have to deal with, Matrix has also had games (or at least the developers they've represented) put up on Steam and other platforms before. For all of you that cry foul on their stance, the fact is you are working entirely off heresay and assumptions while Matrix has access to actual data. Granted they still could be insane when the data shows it would work out in their favor, but unless they reveal the actual data or someone reveals hard numbers from a caparable market, you can argue till you're blue in the face but it won't change the fact that they know more than you do on the subject.

Sorry, but there's such a thing as sound business practices. I'm not working off hearsay, I'm working off my damned MBA. And the work I've done and the studies I've seen all say that for Distant Worlds they are wrong. This specific title (not all of their titles because I don't know or track all of their titles) has more people wanting to buy it and not buying because of the price than I've ever seen, even with Dominions.

Basically, you want to leverage marketing power. Matrix Games has little marketing power, few people have heard of it outside of the core space strategy folks. Steam on the other hand is used by millions, if you release on Steam you are guaranteed at least a few days on the front page of new releases. There is no possible way that the number of people who see the new releases on Steam isn't a gazillion times greater than the people who go to the Matrix website and find out about the game there. This means that they are sacrificing critical marketing exposure by not going with Steam. Then they have to price very high, because they are not selling in enough quantity to price low. But if millions of people saw their damned game for a few days, they'd sell more copies than they've sold for three years during that time. There's simply no way that they are reaching more than just their core audience. The advantage of Steam is that people who don't know who the gently caress Matrix is will learn about the game, see all the resulting forum posts and Steam/friend reviews and buy the game. This is what marketing is all about. Sure you have a demographic but the real money profit is in the crossover traffic.

But they are pigheaded and like not having money so hey, whatever. I cannot for the life of me think of any MBA who would advise them to do what they are doing with this specific title. Logistically it could be a challenge to remove Distant Worlds from the rest of their stable of games, but they need to do just that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If we were actually talking $55 that would make sense. Not everyone knows everything about business, there are plenty of business people making stupid decisions, unfortunately many of us encounter them every day. $90 entry fee because you don't want to have another company take a cut is ridiculous. Who else charges that for what really is not a lot of code?

I totally understand why they don't put many of their games on Steam; historical wargames just don't have much appeal outside of their core demographic so why bother? But everyone I know who is the slightest bit interested in space strategy games would like Distant Worlds. It's far more accessible than most war games and is more polished as well.

There's no way that they *know* that their way is better because they haven't tried Steam. They can make what I consider to be poor assumptions about the appeal of the game if they like, but there's no magical data out there that will tell them how many units the game will sell with a price point that is more in line with other indie games assuming Steam's marketing strategy. Sure they can prove that using their marketing they would lose money by cutting the price, but that's not the point. The point is with millions more people seeing the game, they would get more sales at a competitive price.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Release of the new expansion is scheduled for Thursday, May 23rd. Sale/promotion will also happen at that time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

It's going to cost $40, isn't it?

They are being very coy, but I would expect that from past expansions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

They just released an update for Legends and Shadows is still on schedule to be released tomorrow. Use Check for Updates on the opening menu.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

And it's up. $19.99 promo price. :getin:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Oh and there's a whole new manual as well with Age of Shadows. 104 pages, mmmm reminds me of back in the day when manuals were manuals!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I just had a pirate board one of my frigates so I sent a mercenary to attack it. Still waiting to see how this mercenary will work out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here's a post and further discussion on how to start a game as a newbie:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3333889

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From Matrix Games regarding the bundle sale:

quote:

...I can't comment on exact sales numbers, but the Shadows release is going very well, above our expectations. ...

Regards,

- Erik

I hope they make it permanent myself.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hav posted:

I bought the base game, but it's just not grabbing me. Is there a lot in the later expansions that make it better?

Yes, honestly the first two expansions are about mandatory, hopefully one day they'll sell DW as DW the base game + the first two expansions. The game is just better.

The third expansion makes the game harder, particularly if you start in the Age before the real game starts. I haven't played as pirates but I've heard that's no piece of cake as well. So I would say that if you are looking for more challenge in the game, certainly get the third expansion. If not, then it's not as necessary as the previous two.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Travic posted:

I think I'll wait then. Off to find some good videos of this game to scratch that itch. That or try Stardrive.

Yikes! I really wouldn't recommend Stardrive...the game isn't finished and the designer has already said he's done with it, took everyone's money to do his 'real' game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Like he said, Xmas.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

He said it in an interview on spacesector.com

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/10/stardrive-interview-the-past-present-and-future/

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 15, 2013

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Distant Worlds is on sale again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Slitherine site stopped working. :( Working now.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 23, 2014

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Do you have updated graphic drivers?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If you play enough, you'll get to know what you want in the tech tree. Main thing I want is to stick with a short range weapon set, and a long range weapon set. My games at least don't last long enough to research all the weapons. Then I want to be able to expand to as many types of planets as possible, and get to the bigger ships as fast as possible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Wonder if it's compatible with the steam version?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The General posted:

I believe you can opt into the Beta patches by going into the properties, and checking out the Beta tab.

Thanks, it wasn't there the last time I checked. Gonna start a new game with the patch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The beta is going live now.

The change list is below:

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.1:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing space monsters ("CheckFixNotInSystem")
- fixed rare crash when drawing ships
- fixed rare crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool
- fixed rare crashes relating to fleet mission assignment

BUG FIXES
- altered how keyboard input is read (different Windows API) in attempt to resolve view sometimes moving to top-left
- fixed issue where Steam Achievements were often being set prematurely
- fixed AI empires starting and then quickly ending Trade Sanctions - now always honor minimum time period
- fixed RepairBot components being downgraded to Damage Control by AI ship design (updated fix)
- fixed problems when loading and displaying research information when Windows set to some non-English languages (e.g. Turkish)
- ensured that pirate factions are generated at start of a new game when using an existing galaxy map
- slightly increased size of Tutorial screen to account for larger text
- fixed problem where player colony names were sometimes including blank values (colonynames.txt)

GENERAL GAME BALANCE
- adjusted default ship design templates for each race: Large Spaceports have more docking bays and construction yards, Mining Stations have more docking bays, shields and weapons
- low colony tax rates do not increase population growth rates as much as previously, but now make colony more attractive migration destination
- civilian ships now ensure they have enough reactors to power hyperdrives at full speed (same as state ships already did)
- Fighters now weighted higher when evaluating strength of potential attack targets
- AI now willing to build more military ships when at war, especially when have large cash reserves and powerful enemies
- AI now more willing to build more research stations at home colony at game start
- AI takes more care to avoid overspending on troops

EXPLORATION
- Exploration ships now scan for resources more quickly, moving on to next exploration target immediately once resources and ruins investigated
- increased amount of automated Exploration ships that are assigned to simply scout systems for colonization targets and ruins instead of performing full resource scan of system and all resources

FLEETS
- AI fleets are now better at coordinating multi-fleet attacks within own empire against single enemy target (beyond just coordinated fleet attacks with allies)
- increased ratio of AI-created large fleets versus small strike forces (i.e. more large fleets)
- now properly limit coordinated fleet attacks within own empire only to automated attack fleets (not defense fleets or manually controlled fleets)

OTHER
- now force immediate update of stardate and cash display when open a new screen, e.g. Empire Summary screen
- possession of an operational planet destroyer negatively affects diplomatic relations with other empires ("We are envious of your huge strength and power")
- games now honor global volume settings for music and effects
- improved display performance for main menu screens (e.g. start new game)
- space monsters now properly attack ships in the Dead Zone
- ships can now properly investigate abandoned bases in the Dead Zone

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do you guys determine which types of weapons to research?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I normally don't use mods in these types of games (too much of a PITA to keep up with) but the Das Chrome mod really helps.

It's here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3616300

And thanks for that long post, all the information is so helpful!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Wow, some pirates just canceled their 143 a month protection agreement and then wanted me to pay $1,135 (!!) a month. Uh no thanks. They changed some stuff in the new patch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Never seen it before this early in the game, I'd been playing for about half hour. Guess I've been lucky then.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Trogdos! posted:

I am sad that this isn't discounted on steam. I don't like dropping 55 euros on games anymore but the person in me that spent 260 hours playing Europa Universalis IV and 130h on Crusader Kings II tries to tell me that it'd be worth it.

I'd wait til the end of the sale, it's just started and the game may be discounted later.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I don't think there'll be any kind of half price discount, but when it first came to Steam it was $10 less. They might do something like that again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Synnr posted:

Is there a detailed breakdown of how diplomacy works somewhere? I got this as a gift yesterday and started a game on normal (legends? something I dunno the exact name, the one with all the story stuff) to test the waters. I started stuff automated until I had some familiarity with the interface and have most of it on suggest, but the diplomacy stuff is completely opaque to me. Google isn't helping either, and the wikis are all unfinished or just c+p of the ingame encyclopedia.

I just want to know how disputed planets work and whether I can demand a system/planet from someone. I'm tired of my subjagated insect dudes complaining about my constructor repairing a doomstar in a system on the fringe of their space. I went to war with them over this stupid thing and its getting annoying to get that popup message.

You can turn the popup message off in the options. Also I always play with influence turned on on the map so it's clear when I'm going to run into anyone.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I would recommend Das Chrome as well for the icons if the extended mod doesn't already include it. I don't use extended mod, but I generally don't use mods anyway. The Das Chrome mod though makes the game much more readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I really do think Das Chrome helps you see what's actually a resource and where it is, and that's helpful for even new players. It doesn't change the game in any way, just makes it more readable.

• Locked thread