Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Looks like I can get the entire thing for $85. Though I might just get the original like someone suggested and see if I like it. I remember that MoO3 was roasted over how the AI took control over everything and was generally poo poo at it (Troop Transports!). Does the AI in Distant Worlds do a good job at managing parts of my empire?

The General posted:

I cant remember what I bought it all for, $60? 70? That was fair price for all of it. Though I dont play it enough because there is no goddamned windowed mode. Fuuuuck.

Is this option still available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I think I'll wait then. Off to find some good videos of this game to scratch that itch. That or try Stardrive.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Lorini posted:

Yikes! I really wouldn't recommend Stardrive...the game isn't finished and the designer has already said he's done with it, took everyone's money to do his 'real' game.

But...but Space Bears

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm almost definitely going to be getting this game, and I just heard about Distant Worlds Extended. Is it a good mod for a first playthrough or should I master the main game first?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm getting a 'file not found' error on the the Gloom mod. Is it toast?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Sorry I meant when I went to download it. It appears to have disappeared off of Filefront.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm really starting to get into this game but I have a few quality of life questions:

It's there any way to set up rally points? I keep trying to build fleets but as soon as the ships are built they scatter to defend various mining stations.

How do I get other spaceports to build ships? I use the build order menu but ships are only ever built at my homeworld.

I also need some economy tips. I was playing on manual and was barely breaking even on income. I set it to full auto and my income jumped instantly to +24000 so obviously there is something under the hood that I don't know about.

Why do colony ship's not appear in the build menu? I can build them if I right click on the starport.

When I select a bunch of ships sometimes I get a few non combat ships in there but I can't seem to shift or control click to remove them from selection.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Won't putting the taxes to 40 piss off the citizens?

Also I can never seem to get enough resources. Im always having shortages, but I'm mining the poo poo out of everything in my sphere of influence.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I think I'm mining the right resources. I get a warning that "Construction has stopped on such and such due a shortage of x/y/z" then I hit F3 and sort by that resource and queue up a bunch of mining stations.

nessin posted:

Best option I've found to handle building is assign your ships to a fleet after you've queued it up to be built, then when complete it will assemble at it's home and stay within the defined region for the fleet.

Excellent thanks. I'll try that when I start my next game.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there anything I can do about troop transports? I just had an enemy fleet attack one of my worlds and a troop transport waltzed right past my impregnable defenses in the confusion and took over a world. Then my defense bases switch over and destroyed the defending fleet. What in the gently caress.

Also I'm still not getting the hang of the economy. My income goes from +5,000 to -10,000 randomly when it's not spiralling downward. I'm lost. I want to like this game I really do, but it seems like there's waaaaaaay to much going on under the hood that I can't affect. I did what you said and put the tax rate to 0% on all colonies that are not at max pop, but the road from 0-X billion will take hours (real time).

Also my fleets are randomly abandoning my worlds. I'll set a fleet to patrol a colony (most times they fly to the world then sit at those coordinates as the colony orbits away defenseless) then come back a few minutes later and they're off in some backwater system.

Also how do I tell the game that when I say no to a suggestion I mean no. After I've said no I don't need to see the same suggestion every few minutes.

I think I may just need to set the game on full auto and see what the computer does.

Help me please.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 13, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Demiurge4 posted:

You can set the AI to build troops on your planets according to its population. You should do that because "impenetrable" doesn't seem to be a correct descriptor when a single transport can conquer your planet.

Impregnable space defenses :blush:. It may have been more than one transport. I just remember being very surprised. I had the computer automating troop recruitment, but I'll try and see if I can make it more aggressive about conscripting recruiting new troops.

nessin posted:

Are you manually telling them to patrol a colony or are you setting their home base and defensive stance settings to cover it? It is annoying until you get used to it, and arguably should be changed, but fleets still maintain some AI control even when you're manually assigning them jobs. They'll usually complete whatever mission your assigned them then go back to a base set of rules, such as needing to refuel at a certain fuel supply level or returning to patrol their home base once they've spent some time patrolling what you wanted them to patrol. I typically only directly control invasion fleets, fleets I'm sending to attack a pirate base, or large fleets I'm using to bash other large fleets. Otherwise I typically just use the fleet stances and attack targets to control fleets since it's just easier than dealing with the times when they fall back on their internal orders.

Ohhh. I see. I'll try that. The only reason I really want a medium-large fleet stationed at each world is I tend to lose a fair number of colonies to deep strikes and fleets that system hop around kind of like in MoO2 where a death fleet would hop around destroying things.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Have you gotten the new government type? That's the last part of the chain. If not try re-scouting everything. I'm not kidding. The game seems to spawn a new station for each part. In my last game the final station literally spawned next to my homeworld.

Also make sure you've repaired all the derelict ships in the testing zones.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Esroc posted:

Yeah, I switched to Way of the Ancients forever ago. I've fixed up most of the derelicts, but there's a few stragglers here and there I didn't bother with after I got bored of managing my construction ships. I'll go grab them and see what happens. How can I re-scout without sending a explorer to each and every system manually? On auto they just sit around since I've mapped the galaxy.

Also, is there a way to gift colonies to other Empires? I've looked but can't seem to find any and there's a Naxxilian empire off in a corner that cropped up in the only spot on the map with only one star system in a 3x3 sector grid (it's surrounded by gas clouds, however). I don't think they can expand any further since I have a 2 sector colony limit in place.

The best way I've found for scouting is load a bunch of explorers up with (Ultra)Long Range Scanners and sweep the galaxy. Plop them down so they get good coverage over a quadrant, wait for the sensor to activate (grey circle) then move on.

:edit: Oh I almost forgot. Have you activated the beacon? I've had to manually activate it in every game I've played so far. Open your galaxy map and select ruins, find the one that says Black Gate or Great Beacon of Shaktur, and send a new exploration ship.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 2, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

trashcangammy posted:

Yeah p much. I'm on an i5 and I'm actually impressed how much is going on, with apps in the background no less, without any slowdown. The game is well optimised for other systems, something is definitely awry.

Core i5-750 checking in. Yeah, your CPU should be fine. Root around and close some background programs to see what the problem is.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm looking to get back into this game after taking a long break from it. Is there anyway to set my ships to warp in at max range? I want to design my empire to use fast ships with few defenses and lots of weapons. I'm making the Minmatar basically. It seems like all ships warp at zero and start to brawl it out.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 27, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Matrix games president:

"Wait...you mean more exposure and fairness to customers means more sales? ...I didn't know"

-Later at home-

*Head in hands sobbing* "I didn't know..."

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Reason posted:

Are there any good LPs of this game? Its like CK2 I load it up because I really, really want to play it, then immediately close it due to how complex the interface is.

As people mentioned earlier Das puts out a lot of good Distant Worlds videos:

This is a good general series of videos.
Here's another good set of videos.
This is a huge LP from the looks of it. I haven't actually watched this one. He also mentions how expensive the game was at that point.

There's a bunch more as well as just plain tutorials videos on his channel too.

:munch:Grab some popcorn and enjoy.:munch:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What's the math behind the resource percentages on planets?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Regarding the story I always thought it would've been cool if the Xaraktor virus was what we now know as "the flu". I.e. It killed almost everyone in the galaxy and the only ones who survived were people who were immune/resistant to it and only got moderately/severely ill from it. Unfortunately the game specifically says that it burned itself out without killing everyone. loving Madagascar.

Westminster System posted:

Out of curiosity - what happens if you beat up the Ancient Guardians before certain people come into play?

Nothing. I did it on a game a while back as a bored galactic superpower. I blitzed Utopia and waited....and nothing happened. Except I became super rich from owning Utopia. :D

:edit: For clarification my game had glitched so those certain people never arrived.

Travic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 1, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Bloodly posted:

The Xarator IS as you describe it, at least in the initial phases. It's clear it was unleashed early. There's several pieces of research on the Xarator virus to decrease the lethality on it on non-Shakturi in the Ancient Galaxy. The initial form is massively leathal to all.

Ah cool. I haven't played an Ancient Galaxy map yet. Life has been rather hectic. I only know about the storyline up to Shadows with the 100%/95% Shakturi/Everyone Else death rates. I meant that it was released early before they could get the death rates down and it killed nearly everyone (95%), knowledge of the virus would be lost, and the descendants of the Xaraktor-resistant survivors would only know of the galaxy-destroying virus as "The Sniffles".

Travic fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 1, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Phlegmish posted:

I'm losing really hard against one of the insect races. I don't understand how they can be so good at invading. If I leave it up to the computer there's no guarantee any invasions will ever happen, and even if I micromanage with automatic troop recruitment off I can barely scrape together enough troops to take over a single planet.

How do you guys deal with it? What settings do you use? Going overboard with troop recruitment is a good way to go bankrupt, but if I leave it on automation the computer will only put a single unit on vital border planets. I am having a lot of trouble both with invading and defending against invasions.

The insect races have incredibly good troops. Especially the Boskara. Expect to bring 3-4 times the troop strength of the planet you are trying to invade. Armored units and special forces are essential (or really good clone troops).

Here's a list of all (stock) races troop strength:

Race Troop Strength
Boskara 14000
Mortalen 13300
Sluken 13200
Ikkuro 13100
Kiadian 12800
Dhayut 12600
Haakonish 12400
Human 12100
Naxxilian 11700
Zenox 10300
Quameno 9400
Gizurean 9200
Ackdarian 8800
Shandar 8000
Wekkarus 8000
Securan 7400
Ugnari 7100
Mechanoid 7000
Ketarov 6900
Battlebot 6000
Atuuk 5750
Teekan 5500

Teekan special forces are here to save the day!

For defense, when starting a new game get some of the basic tech (Reactors and engines and such) Then go down the troop tech tree and get Planetary Defense Units and maybe some of their efficiency upgrades. PDUs cut invading forces in half (or thereabouts) before the actual fight even starts. They shoot drop pods out of the air on their way down. Be careful though, they are very expensive.

Cantorsdust posted:

Looks pretty good, although I wonder how inter-system war works. Also, who gets mining rights in a system colonized by more than one race?

Mining rights only really pertain to not getting yelled at by the civ that owns the system. If you have a station in someone else's system it will continue to mine resources you'll just get nasty grams from the civ that owns the system demanding it be removed/given to them. I always just give it to them as it's a diplomatic brownie point. Or as someone mentioned earlier, give it to one of their enemies. :devil:

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 1, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Caconym posted:

Mining rights are golden and opens up exploits bigtime if that's your thing though.
Send off 10 constructors to build mining stations in their space, then sell the stations for tech or cash or war with a third party.

The fact that they gave you mining rights doesn't make them not desire any of your stations in their space with all their hearts.

I belive they're real suckers for research and resort bases.

Oh I agree absolutely. See this is why I will never reach the full potential of 4x games. Something like that would never have occurred to me. I just don't have a head for finding loopholes and exploits. :shrug:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Phlegmish posted:

Thank you for the rundown. If Planetary Defense Units are so expensive, that would explain why I was going bankrupt near the end.

If you don't mind me asking, what settings and techniques do you usually use during wars? Do you recruit troops manually? Do you put together special invasion fleets? I feel like I am really inefficient during wars and that it takes me a really long time to get enough troops together for a proper invasion.

Yeah they're SUPER expensive. I have one, maybe two per planet if I feel I need a back-up. I put 6-10 regular troops per planet depending on how healthy my economy is and then 1-2 PDUs. Be proactive about recruiting troops. It takes time so queue them up long before you think you'll need them.

The way I handle wars is divide my forces up into several fleets. Enough to cover most of my important/border/at-risk worlds. Base each fleet at one of these worlds and set them to defend the sector. You should get good overlap to cover more minor systems.

Also, bow down before the god that is Long Range Scanners. I'm not kidding. Design super cheap stations with a long range scanner and place them throughout your empire as well as along your front-line so you can see out into the dark beyond (above your mini-map is a button that will show your scanner range as grey circles). If an enemy ship is detected (you will get an alert) and is headed into one of the zones you designated to be protected earlier the fleet will be dispatched automagically to intercept them at the target.

I then build a fleet or two and tag team systems. Team A takes a system and holds it and Troop Fleet A moves in. While that is going on Team B takes a different one somewhere else in their empire. Leave 3-4 troops on the planet when you leave to quell the inevitable rebellion. On that note I recruit troops manually. Pick a few high pop worlds to put some of the Troop planetary improvements like cloning bay, armor factory, etc. Recruit from everywhere, but especially those worlds. And like I said earlier ensure a good mix of Troops/armor/a few special forces. Maximize the number of bonuses you can get for invading a world.

These may be wrong as I'm working from memory.
1)Your attack strength is 2x> than theirs
2)You have space superiority
3)Your Armor attack strength is > than their Troop Strength
4)Your Special Forces Strength is > their PDU Strength

Clone troops are also very good once you get them. They have low maintenance and are literally copies of the baddest motherfuckers in your empire. Capture a Boskara world and train up some units then clone them throughout your empire.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dallan Invictus posted:

Alternatively, redesign the stations you'll build anyway. Space port? Long range scanner. Mining base? Long range scanner. Research or resort station the automated constructors set up on some supernova in the middle of nowhere? You'd better BELIEVE it has a long range scanner on it. Ideally, you'll be informed when a space raptor farts on the other side of the galaxy and see incoming fleets with enough warning to set up a goddamned party. With cake. And lasers.

Yes sorry I should have explained better. Space ports and defensive bases and maybe research stations should have a long range scanner (as well as explorer ships in the late game for mobile exploration). The monitoring stations are there to fill in the gaps/back-up/ looking out beyond your territory.

Also a note I forgot in the main post. Every world gets 2 medium defense bases with recreation and medical centers to spur planetary development. It would be more efficient to only have one with the civilian upgrades since they don't stack but that would require separate designs. They can shrug off pirate attacks and small raids by other empires by themselves, but larger fleet actions require back-up.

Travic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I recently got back into this game thanks to Grey Hunter's LP of it (and this thread) and I'm looking at the Extended mod. I'm not really interested in having more races. I'm pleased with the number that are currently in the game, but I am interested in shaking things up a bit. The whole "insects/reptiles=bad mammals/amphibians=good" is not very interesting to me. Does Extended help with this?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

AuxPriest posted:

I've played with the Extended mod a bunch, the new races feel really reasonable and fun other than the water-squid race. That race is only supposed to be played by the AI as another super-race, though.

Unfortunately most of the reptiles and bugs are still super aggressive and evil.

Well poo poo. I miss not knowing at a glance what a race is going to do. As much as I love Distant Worlds I know the mammals and amphibians will leave me alone and the insects and reptiles will try and make a move. Mrrshan? Bulrathi? Arceans? One game they'd be all over me smelling weakness the next they'd be my closest allies because I was a bad enough dude to win their loyalty.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm having trouble fully eradicating pirates. Is there some trick to it? I destroy all their starports and mining stations and planetary facilities and they keep coming back. I'm assuming there is a constructor out there some where rebuilding starports, but I can never catch them. If I manage to find one and send a fleet after it they never chase the ship. I have full scanner coverage of my empire and most of the galaxy besides so I can see where all their bases are, and I've tried setting fleets to Attack: Anywhere stance on fully automated, but they just sit there.

Any thoughts? I really want to play with pirates for the depth they add, but I want to be able to destroy them eventually.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Attack Stance just straight up doesn't work right so don't bother with it.

Did you check 'Pirates never respawn' in the game options when you started? If you didn't, they may just be respawning?

Yeah it's set so they don't respawn.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Discovered an interesting (infuriating) quirk of the AI. If a world has a Gravity Well Generator and you order your ships to attack that planet the computer will spread your ships around the perimeter. As in you attack from the West you'd think your ships would drop out of warp in a clump on the western side of the bubble. No. They will be spread out 360 degrees around the bubble.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Agean90 posted:

They do that with a lot of things. Attacking a pirate station? Have fun watching your carrier drop out of warp on the other side as the majority of your forces!

Oh I know. Fleet warping needs some love. It's just so much more noticeable with the Gravity Well Projector.

It seems like when you warp to a planet the game has a set radius for the ships to stop at and it distributes them randomly around that circle and the Projector just increases the radius instead of acting like an actual stop.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

PittTheElder posted:

I don't like burdening my private sector with that (I have literally no idea if it makes a significant difference), so when I discovered the Monitoring Base sub-class I just started building those out in a ring around my empire, and then near all the clumps of gas clouds.

I always put long range scanners on private bases and they seem to do fine , but I'm not sure how well they'd work on ships. I've tried it on my exploration ships and they have to remain still for quite a while before the scanner activates.

Might work well on miners since they stay put for a while mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Apoffys posted:

I briefly tried the game back when it was released on Steam, but got distracted by shinier games. The incessant message spam, particularly from pirates demanding tiny sums of money, was very annoying though. Considering getting back into the game, is this fixed now or is there a way to disable the spam?

You can disable spam to your hearts content. In the options menu you can check what things you would like the computer to bother you about and if you'd like the computer to handle it or just ignore it.

You just have to be careful because those things are in rather large categories. To stop pirate offers you might have to turn off "Treaty offers" altogether. Although I'm not at home so I can't check.

• Locked thread