Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, it does seem to click more now, the whole thing seems that bit more alive. I'm also cursing the hippy-apes (Can't spell their real name) for continually grabbing the worlds I'm after a couple of days before my colony ship gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

But why would anyone choose Matrix Games over Gog or Steam? A-Sharp was vehemently against Steam for the longest time but they eventually made bank with King of Dragon Pass on iOS. I don't have numbers for Gog sales but I imagine they're quite decent. There really is no data to suggest that Distant Worlds wouldn't be crazy successful on Steam for a $15 pricetag.

A question asked time and time again. I can ALMOST see it for WITP or another of the really complex games, but DW is a RT space strat game! that's almost bankable!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

King Doom posted:

There is a super weapon that can kill planets (There are two of them in each game world) but they take hours realtime to repair. It's possible your opponent found one or both of them. Keep your eye out for something flying about the size of a world. If you can't see it, then it sounds a lot like a bug, albeit one I've never seen.

Just watch that you don't accidentally repair one, then accidentally blow up a planet.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Now that I bought it, reading this thread is making me less inclined to actually play the game. It's overwhelming. Are there any decent getting started guides around that are actually up to date with the latest version?

I find one of the best ways to learn is to turn automation on for everything, then focus on learning on part of the game. Research and fleets will allow you to get a feel while the AI builds your empire for you. Then after a while, take ship design from the AI, or Colonization, and build up to a level you feel comfortable.

Pro hint, see those buttons that says "automate taxes" and "Troop Training"? You probably want to turn that on, unless you fancy managing tax rates for a hundred planets and making sure they all have soldiers defending them - you can override the AI in specific cases, but most of the time, you want these two automated.

I should do a Rogue Trader style game, load up a pirates game, fill the galaxy with humans and angry aliens and see what kind of empire I can make. A 40K mod shouldn't be to hard to do, if I could find top down ship images for all the races.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

What is the difference between ordering as fleet to "Attack that system" and "Prepare to Attack that system"? I now understand how Grey Hunter did an attack on a planet, and blew it up "by mistake".

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Grey Hunter has taken his strategy LP of a Ghanan empire to the stars using Distant Worlds. It's not overwhelmingly in depth in terms of teaching the game mechanics, since it's mostly about the narrative at this point, but if you're interested in how someone plays DW with mods at a high level, it's shaping up to be pretty great.

The preceding parts of the LP which span a few Paradox games are also good.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573513&pagenumber=110#post430684686

Having trouble reconciling these two statements.

But yeah, the Ghana start in a bitch - three hostile pirates insystem! At least it should make for a good LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nektu posted:

It was in the endgame, he had a large amount of massive fleets doing things. That one planetdestroyer somehow snuck into that fleet he ordered to attack a colony.

Did I?

I like how your explaining to me what I did :)

• Locked thread