Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I wish republic leaders could get re-elected on occasion. This guy has bonuses in money making, ship building, and happiness, lets vote for the paranoid zealot with -10% to income instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

For avoiding resource shortages, the expanison planner is your best friend. It'll tell you what resources you need more of and list where you can mine them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Do it. DO IT NOW!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Automating is good once you get a big empire going. I like to keep 2 or 3 constructors off just chillin in case i need something done immediatly though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Current game thoughts:

"Hmm, Ill take colonization slow so I dont stress my econmy and military fleet.

"Dang, i left colonization on auto, ah well I can support one extra"

"gently caress the securans beat me to a free colony with over a billion pop and the bugs are right next to world with loro fruit and the zerox are closing in on my western front, i cant get this many ships out or support this many colonies ahhhhh"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dryb posted:

sandbox.

I have literally never played with objectives on and never regretted it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

Hell, if you do it right, you end up with planets of races you didnt expect. Its how I got planets of 1 Billion Zoidbergs on my worlds originally colonized by dragons. You can draw migrants from other empires and that is awesome.

It really is. Nothing like having your population boom because 2 empires next to yours are at war.

I have no clue if that actually makes people migrate more, but it feels like it should.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ASFAIK Class only affects what it does when automated, you can put what ever you want on ships so long as you have a way to build them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I recommend setting troops to manual. Youll save a lot of money when you dont have the AI making large forces to garrison your peaceful, secure core worlds.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Travic posted:

Discovered an interesting (infuriating) quirk of the AI. If a world has a Gravity Well Generator and you order your ships to attack that planet the computer will spread your ships around the perimeter. As in you attack from the West you'd think your ships would drop out of warp in a clump on the western side of the bubble. No. They will be spread out 360 degrees around the bubble.

They do that with a lot of things. Attacking a pirate station? Have fun watching your carrier drop out of warp on the other side as the majority of your forces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I really wouldn't go with Age of Shadows for your first few games.

In fact, I don't think I'm ever playing that mode again, it's really slow to start and the pirates are a total nuisance in a way that I don't find satisfying. Have you tried the introductory game on Classic?

Heres a good idea: Start a custom game, turn pirates down to few and weak, set your size to Starting and your tech to normal.

This way you start out with only your homeworld and a medium station for it, and you already have hyper drive. No waiting around to get dicked over by pirates and you can take things slow to wrap your head around expansion.

• Locked thread