Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This game looks right up my alley but gently caress, $90? What kind of pricing is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lorini posted:

Stupid. The game is good but the pricing is WTF?

If it were even, like, $60 I would buy it in a second. Matrix has the most :psyduck: pricing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I build a colony ship? It's not there with the rest of the ships in the Build Order screen. Am I missing something?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A few noob questions here because the Galactopedia is... less than helpful.

1. Is there an easy way to figure out what all of the resources do? I guess I could just go through and read them one by one, but it'd be nice to see a list of "these are fuel gases," "these ones make things blow up," and so on.

2. Is there a way to stop ships that are operating at the extreme end of their range from turning around and going back home to refuel if I don't constantly babysit them? I was trying to land troops on a planet that was very very close to the end of my transport's range, but definitely within it, and it kept turning around even though it was within the right system.

3. Is there anything in particular that I need to be doing that I might not realize? The game does such a good job of running itself that I'm not sure where my input is actually required. I've been directing exploration to an extent, taking over independent civilizations, and calling in strikes on pirate bases. Anything I should be keeping an eye on otherwise?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

While exploring a system, I found a big debris field with a bunch of abandoned capital ships. The game popped up a cryptic message about taking advantage of this discovery, but when I move ships nearby, nothing happens. Other times when I've found derelict ships, I've been able to take control just by moving some other ships nearby. Anyone know what is going on?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

V for Vegas posted:

It takes a long time to fix them up though, so best to build new constructors.

Yeah, no kidding. I was lucky enough to find three of the big debris fields roughly at once, so that should get me like 8-10 capital ships well before I'm able to build them myself. It's going to be a huge drain on my construction ship resources to get them online before the AI swoops in, though.

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this game, and it's a blast. I'm really impressed with how seamlessly you can switch from AI control to micromanaging a particular operation and then back to hands-off play. For a game this spergy and ambitious it's got a remarkably solid interface.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What practical effects are there if you make another empire your Subjugated Dominion? I give up trying to find stuff in the Galactopedia, it needs a search bar.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I have a Planet Destroyer in a fleet, and I tell that fleet to attack an enemy planet, will the Planet Destroyer automatically blow that planet up? I have a couple Planet Destroyers that I want to attach to some of my fleets just for their huge conventional weaponry, but I don't want them running around blowing up enemy planets willy-nilly. How should I go about this?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes. (this actually happened in the LP, with hilarious effect)

What you can probably do is set the fleet to blockade the planet or patrol the area, they'll clear all the orbital infrastructure/defending fleets but not attack the planet automatically, then you can send in the transports or whatever.

On a slightly related note: the downside of having AI allies with planet destroyers is that they will destroy planets with your fleet in orbit and your troops in the middle of an invasion. :stare:

Hah, that's terrible. Guess I'll have to micro the Planet Destroyers.

On a related note, what do you guys do as far as invasion fleets? In the one war I've had so far my opponent surrendered before it really became an issue, but they had something like 350k guys defending one of their colonies and the 25k or so guys I accidentally landed got slaughtered. Am I just supposed to roll up with a fleet of like 50 transports? Is there a way to bombard the planet beforehand to soften them up? I can afford to zerg transports if necessary, but it seems silly.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How can I build up my reputation? After a couple of wars to knock out a civilization that started too close to mine for my liking, my rep kinda sucks. Aside from knocking over pirate bases, is there anything I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Found a really gamey exploit you can use if you're having reputation problems. If you want to start a war with someone, just order your ships to attack one of their planets and after some fire is exchanged, they'll declare war on you, meaning your reputation stays intact. This might only work if you are actually landing troops, I haven't tested it with just shooting at a station or the planet.

• Locked thread