Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mistayke posted:

I loving told you guys this game was the poo poo! But I guess it was still in its infancy back then. But I KNEW this thing was going to take off.

The poo poo got kicked out of it in my old thread. I'm glad to see a new one with more people getting turned on to it. I still maintain it's one of the best 4X I've ever played.

I only played vanilla, and I'm glad more has happened--I'm psyched to grab the expacks (probably down the road when I run out of other stuff in my personal queue).

But I *still* remember my definitive DW experience;

I grew an empire which occupied about 40% of the galaxy and ended up at war with multiple enemy empires. I started building a shitton of explorers and constructors to salvage all the inert hulks I could find, and stumbled upon a world destroying project. I finished building it and began flying to the enemy systems and destroying any problem planets without any muss or fuss. In this manner, I managed to conquer about 80% of the galaxy. Thinking I was basically 'done' I just puttered around finishing my program of alien extermination, when HALF MY EMPIRE SECEDED.

After I finished smiling like a moron over how awesome that was, I started changing policies, reducing taxes, and salvaging excess warships to try to convince my empire that I was doing the right thing. The former (majority) of my empire declared war on me, and I thought I was screwed (because it was a really nice empire), until a quarter of the secessionists seceded from the secession and, after a little bit, became my allies.

We banded together and reconquered the secessionists and standardized pleasure resorts everywhere we could put them. Bread and circuses for all my space bugs!

Anyway. After that experience, I was just like 'holy poo poo'. The only thing that really took my attention away from it was the satisfaction of how cool it was when everything fell apart, and I lost my taste for that and gravitated toward some 'story' and shooter games for a while for the lighter fare.

But this game is destined to be the useable dwarf fortress of the galaxy. It's incredible, and I think in a couple more xpacks, this could start getting poo poo like a EVE-alike plugin to do the DF style roguelike encounter of the empire you built in the main strategic game, or even outrageous poo poo like environmental physics to go with super-tech--like spreading or eliminating anomalous areas (nebulas, whatever) and maybe even the long term pregenerated history thing where you encounter those 'testing grounds' or battlefield wreckage zones--except they're *your* ships from *last* game hanging out where you left them. Their final fate at last known!

Also this game could use a parallel universe mechanic a la Mom, Moo2 (sort of) or star control 2. It's just begging for a race that hops out of rifts and raids you before going back to their parallel empire space with different systems and weird time/distance distortions and unique extra dimensional resources.

There. I'm done nerding out.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bouchacha posted:

What's a good primer on designing ships? I mainly get stuck (just like in Moo2) about which and how many weapons to use, and which balance to strike between shields, armor, and maneuverability.

Same. At least with MOO, the routine with ships was easier to deal with. You had a cap on armor and shields to begin with. Some special techs would be useful occasionally, but generally you could just pack something with all the firepower you thought you could get away with. DW is too abstract for me, ship designwise. I don't even really get what I'm paying for half the time.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
And it's a paradox alike in the sense that half your empire will turn on you for playing too well.

These moments are the best part.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Emergent gameplay story.

They should all come online without notifying you and have their last target in memory so if you aren't paying attention and let it slip it goes and blows up a planet, potentially yours.

My greatest moments in this game came from unrestricted death star use. I had the biggest empire going at one point, and just started obliterating the last few peripheral empires that were bugging me, and my empire split like 4 times in outrage.

I've never played a strategy game that made the 'late' or end game stay interesting in that way.

Future generations no doubt concocted many theories about why there were so many derelict space stations but so few stars with intact planets.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Any news on Workshop support?

This is what I care about, especially since the last expack is modding focused.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Grey Hunter has taken his strategy LP of a Ghanan empire to the stars using Distant Worlds. It's not overwhelmingly in depth in terms of teaching the game mechanics, since it's mostly about the narrative at this point, but if you're interested in how someone plays DW with mods at a high level, it's shaping up to be pretty great.

The preceding parts of the LP which span a few Paradox games are also good.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573513&pagenumber=110#post430684686

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Grey Hunter posted:

Having trouble reconciling these two statements.

I don't mean a high level like it's kung fu. I mean you're giving an overview and not going into a tremendous amount of detail about your decisions or game mechanics.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

nutranurse posted:

While they're not the same, loading up one class of your ships with assault shuttles is always fun and a huge research booster.

Not ship ramming, sure, but the next best thing.

It's like ship DVDADHO. Which is better, really.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MagnumOpus posted:

I've never seen a civil war, but changing governments does cause a hit to colony Culture ratings.

Multiple civil wars can be caused by destroying all the planets of other races in a methodical effort to purify the galaxy.

You can end up staring at half of your empire as if it were a new, foreign power.

It's pretty great.

I don't know about the changing governments thing, though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MagnumOpus posted:

To play without The Ancients and Shakturi you want to select "Custom Game", and on the last setup page before launching the game you want to un-check "Enable Return of the Shakturi story events and victory conditions".

Listen man. Can I just...

Can I just point out that you loving, like, right there, spoilered 'ancients and shakturi', and then went on to describe an option that said 'enable return of shakturi story events and victory conditions'?

Seriously, if I had a wish, I'd wish that the concept of 'spoilering' were relegated to the graveyard of time. What cool thing has anyone ever enjoyed that got 'worse' because you knew what happened? The span of human history is riddled with stories and characters whose arc is already known; it's the performance or the instance that's the interesting part!

I don't know. Distant worlds just seems to be a microcosm of this phenomenon. It's *never* that there's a story event. It's that it's a rich galaxy full of weird interactions and cool mysteries that comes under this classic matchup of ancient races who're stoking a latent hostility.

The idea that some race would approach me and bequeath a powerful fleet of superships to repel galactic invaders isn't a spoiler--it seems like a bullet-point.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bohemian Nights posted:

I just handed it on a silver platter to our new robotic overlords :(

This is why you choose the 'green' ending and merge with the synthetics in the hope of a brighter future of harmony.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

uber_stoat posted:

Sometimes the RNG loves you, and sometimes... well, just go look at the Distant Worlds LP that's going on right now...

I would argue that that is still tough love.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Less Fat Luke posted:

Weird, no idea then.

Likely sucked into a spacetime anomaly that deposited them in a David Weber novel, where their incredibly advanced technology will be used to free a benighted people on some distant world that has, by amazing coincidence developed to a stage almost indistinguishable from 17th, 18th, or 19th century Europe, and/or any primitive civilization that was around during the colonial period.

Rest assured, though you may never see them again, they'll do your empire proud. :cryingflintlockmusketinfrontofanHonorHarringtonNovel:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bohemian Nights posted:

Finally managed to stop the Shaktur in its infancy! There's only room for one empire following the way of darkness in this galaxy! They were even nice enough to leave me their starbase and most of their ships! (.. because I could barely break their shields.)

Oh man... in palaces, treason; and the bond crack'd 'twist son and father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I wish more modding setups had the equivalent to a test project executable where you could get an output based on static poo poo just to see what happens. The kind of manual testing people get up to just to figure out a formula sometimes is ridiculous. In the case of MMOs it literally boils down to someone disseminating a plugin to feed their own database :/

• Locked thread