Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I found a colony ship adrift filled with space dragons that love a lava planet. I dumped them on a 13% magma world in my home system. my civie sector proceeded to dump 300M humans on the planet. Will the fact that the lava planet is a homeworld type to the dragons take into account their pop numbers? I havent found a way to check planet quality for anything other than my own race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

nutranurse posted:

That was a waste of a colony ship. There's little reason to go after a low quality planet like that, especially if it's in your home system.

So the race I colonized the planet with having a liking for lava planets doesnt factor into it at all, just my main race? The colony ship said colonize marsh and magma worlds, and the race in the colony ship said magma world favored.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ahh ok, that makes sense. Thankfully the 13% planet also has a 50% scenery bonus and a ruin on it, so its not a total loss.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

1. Don't expand so quickly. Your colonies start out making 0 taxes, basically, and you suddenly have to put more money into them in bases, ships to defend them, private economy ships to move goods to them, etc.

2. Resort bases. Make sure you're taking advantage of the serious cash you can make from tourism. Look for areas with scenery bonuses relatively near a populated planet. Design a base with medical, passenger, and entertainment modules and have a constructor ship build it. Your private vessels will ferry tourists to and from it.

3. Trade. If you're not actively planning to go to war with someone, you should try to get a trade agreement with them. The longer a trade agreement lasts, the better the bonus to income both parties get.

4. Strategic resources. I'm not 100% on this, but I think that ship costs/maintenance vary depending on the costs of the resources needed to build them. If you keep supplies of basic shipbuilding resources and fuels low by aggressively establishing mining bases where appropriate, you'll see an across the board decrease in costs.

Number 4 is true. In your Expansion Planner (F3 I think), there is a tab showing potential colony sites. If you look in the drop down from there, there is a list of empire resources. Anything in the strategic layer that is higher cost than .8 your empire is importing because of shortages. So while not directly increasing maintenance costs, your ship that is using rare minerals that you have to import from the trade mice means it costs more to build.

Try and build mines to cover any resource you lack in empire. This will trigger your private sector to build freighters to handle that mine, giving you money from your private sector in yard fees.

I also think that your private sector increases its GDP by each transaction at a mine, buying the resource from the mine at empire cost, then dumping it at your yards, but thats just a theory. Higher cost resources will draw freighters to that mine in order to fill that need, though, so it might be a profit seeking on their part, to sell rare materials needed for a marked up price, but it works to stabilize your empire.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Has anyone ever had another empire's home planet start in their own home system? Custom Shadows start, I was playing as the Caleph from the Extended Universe mod, when the Ketarov dogmen contact me in my first month, imposing trade sanctions for invading their territory. Not only did we share a system, we both were orbiting the same gas giant. I crash research transport systems, while recruiting soldiers. I get three transports up and dump 15 armies of dragon infantry on their planet by year 2, taking their world.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Empire Age i think is the size of your empire when you start. Start at Older, and you end up with a decent empire with premade infrastructure. If you dont want a prewarp tech level, thats a different tab.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Are you on a 32 bit system? If you have more than 4gb of RAM, DW can only use 2gb of that. Its hitting the memory limit when trying to save. Try this. I was crashing all the time. Upped my virtual memory from 2048 to 3072, no crashes anymore.

Copypasted from here, found with Google.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/enable_lrg_ad_aware/

Enabling LabVIEW to Use up to 3 GB of Virtual Memory on Windows 7 or Windows Vista

(Windows 7/Vista) Complete the following steps to modify the Windows boot configuration settings and enable LabVIEW to access up to 3 GB of virtual memory.

Open the command line window as an administrator.
Navigate to the Command Prompt program in the Windows Start menu.
Right-click the program name and select Run as administrator from the shortcut menu.
When prompted, enter the Windows administrator user name and password. If you are already logged in as the Windows administrator, click the Continue button in the dialog that appears. Only the administrator can modify the boot configuration settings.
Enter the command bcdedit /enum and press the <Enter> key to show the list of entries in the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store. These settings control how the OS launches.
Enter the command bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072 and press the <Enter> key. This command increases the amount of virtual memory that the OS allots to the user to 3072 MB, or 3 GB.
Restart the system for the changes to the BCD store to take effect.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Thank you, but I have a 64-bit system. 8 GBs of RAM, processor is an i7-3820 quadcore running at 3.6 GHz. It should be enough for a game that was released four years ago.

The slowdown itself isn't actually that bad, it's the save crashes that are ruining it for me. Before the most recent patch, I also used to get different error messages about the game being unable to reference objects and things like that.

Ahh ok :3: I'm running a dual core with 4 gigs memory, thats I dont remember how old, so that managed to fix the crash and run out of memory bug for me.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ive been doing normal difficulty age of shadows sand box games, and usually by the time I even leave the starting system, all the other empires hate me for my huge power. My huge power being a massive freighter trade fleet and developed home system. Shut the gently caress up you drat alien scum, Im not huge and powerful, you are small and retarded. I buy off all the cheap pirates, and set the AI to handle their missions. so 5-6 pirate factions under my payroll, each costing me per year about what 1-2 ships cost me in upkeep. worth it to have mercs at my beck and call. The part of the game Im finding hard is diplomacy. Most everyone hates me.. but they also lag so far behind me that being in 3 wars at once means I get to expand my economy. How do I get other empires to not hate me so hard? Im usually a republic, and the galaxy is loaded with dictators and tyrants. can you force a government change in any way?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Arghy posted:

Can i have a fusion and quantum reactor at the same time? caslon is absurdly rare in my outer sphere of influence so i figured i'd have ships that run on helium and caslon.

Fusion is Hydrogen. You can mix reactor types, but remember, that a reactor needs fuel to turn on. So a dual fuel ship will be able to run on anything, but when you need the extra power, the other reactor wont turn on. so unless you have enough of each reactor for a full warp burn, or full combat load, you wont have enough power to do it.

1 Quantum and 1 Fusion- Ship is full of hydrogen, max output is 85, ship is full of caslon, max output is 120
2 quantum and 2 fusion- Ship on fuel H output is 170, Fuel C is 240

I have no idea if the fueling system takes into account having 2 reactor types, and will half and half fill the tanks to fuel both engine types. Design and build 3 test ships Fission Warp A, Fusion Warp B and Hybrid Warp C. Give them the Warp Bubble drive, as it is a huge energy hog, then put a caslon reactor like the fission reactor on A, and a hydrogen fusion reactor on ship B, Then both on ship C. Then order them to warp somewhere one at a time and watch their speeds. If your speed is higher than either A or B with C, both reactors are working. If not, it chose one fuel type for you to use when fueling, and would match either ship A or B. Then let us know the results :)

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 23, 2014

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Shyrka posted:

There's an intelligence mission to incite a revolution which requires high psyops but is quite handy for turning a belligerent dictator into a peaceful kingdom. Won't help if they hate you for other reasons though.

Found that out this morning. Military dictatorships and hive minds as far as the eye can see. A few revolutions and my republic is dealing with feudalism and monarchy, with a way of the ancients defensive pact going. who flipped to way of darkness for some reason. yaaaay

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where does Bonus income come from? And can I not build a large space port anywhere? I noticed my homeworld has one, but I don't get the option for any colonies.

Bonus income is the private sector paying construction yard fees and resort use. Rather than being spread out over a year like tax income is, your bonus income is a one time infusion of cash as the buy ships from you and tourists arrive at your resorts. Note, this can be from other empires, with regard to tourism income. AS for your large space port, I dont know. Did you accidentally obsolete it?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Hell, if you do it right, you end up with planets of races you didnt expect. Its how I got planets of 1 Billion Zoidbergs on my worlds originally colonized by dragons. You can draw migrants from other empires and that is awesome.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If I hit auto upgrade selected ship design on ships in the list of schematics, will it automatically upgrade all parts to the newer better parts without me needing to manually go in and replace them?

Yes. However, it will not add anything new. So say you just researched Steel Armor. Any designs you hit auto upgrade on will not add steel to them. Upgrading to the 2nd tier armor, when you already have say 5 Steel Armor in the design, replaces things in a 1 to 1 ratio. So 5 Advanced Armor from 5 Steel. It also adds a Mk2 to your original name. Just hit edit after hitting auto-upgade to add components to the new design afterwords.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Not sure I get what you mean here, if I upgrade steel armor, won't that mean all previous ships that have regular armor will have it all replaced with steel?

Upgrading tech only upgrades modules if it has an ^ arrow on the tech. If it does not, it is a new module and must be retrofitted into. You see this with Adv Fission. There are 3 techs after it, that upgrade that basic module. But if you want to use Quantum Exploitation or Fusion, you need to retrofit those new modules into your designs. Ships you have already built wont have that tech until you retrofit. You can see this when you upgrade shield tech. Corvidian Shields are 100 at base, then you upgrade and you see suddenly all your ships putting on a few more shield points. Research High Capacity Shields and all your old ships floating about will still be using Corvidian.

Hitting auto upgrade doesnt add new stuff to the ships. It does look at what you have and add the newest tech to replace your older tech. Say you have researched Fission Reactors, Proton Thrusters, Direction Thrusters, and Basic Armor. You hit Auto-Upgrade. Computer then does this.

code:

Slow Explore Probe 	---Upgrade---	Slow Explore Probe Mk2
1 Ion Thruster				1 Proton Thruster	
1 Space Reactor				1 Fission Reactor
1 Command Deck				1 Command Deck
1 Maneuver Thruster			1 Directional Thruster
1 Small Fuel Cell			1 Small Fuel Cell
1 Habitat				1 Habitat
1 Life Support				1 Life Support
1 Resource Profile Sensor		1 Resource Profile Sensor

It did not add armor to the design, because the original design did not have armor. The computer does not know how much armor you want to use, but you did tell it "Make this same ship, with the best tech" However, this is at times the wrong thing to do, as just hitting upgrade on that ship there made the ship bigger, making it harder for those engines to get it to same speed, for added cost. I typically get my civie ships to a level I'm comfortable with and leave them there, while my military gets the best tech. This has the added benefit of keeping my civie fleet cheaper and easier to build resource wise.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 19, 2014

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

To keep track of my ships, I tend to keep the names simple.

Freighter, Small 1
Freighter, Medium 3
Freighter, Large 3a
etc...

1: These are beginning Shadows Age designs. They fly and lack all the nice things I add later on. All freighters are same size, for instance. Gets the civie sector to build more during the long research time toward warp bubbles.

2: Ive researched Warp Bubbles and some other things.

3: Gerax Hyperdrives come online. Shields, Counter Measures, better engines. Basically all Tech 1 non weapon stuff is unlocked here. Civie ships tend to stay here for me, as I dont see the point in building state of the art rock haulers. If I have to add anything later to a design, it gets the 3a, 3b, 3c, and so on designation. Size upgrades are the biggest influence here. More Cargo, more passengers

4+: The realm of military ships. Fusion reactors are my go to, as I dont compete with the civie sector for Caslon fuel.

As far as telling what ship is being retarded about being upgraded.. that is why I made sure to know what my ship generations are, as well as naming as I do. You might have a salvaged frigate or destroyer from your initial system explorations that doesnt even have a warp engine slowing your fleet down if you grabbed everything.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So many questions :S. How can I tell a colony's maximum population?

e: Also, is there any way to increase repair speed from construction ships to abandoned ship wrecks?

Colony Max population seems to be a function of quality and development. Ive had 95% quality worlds with 23 billion people, 85% with 16 billion, and so on. 60% worlds seem to stop at about 7 billion, but other than that, I couldnt tell you exactly what the numbers are. There might be a bonus for being your Race's home type as well.

Repair speed also is determined by the tech you know. If a derelict has only one component you dont have researched, it will go much faster than if it is completely made of tech you dont have. However, repairing such a vessel gives you a bonus to research.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Alright, I'll look into that. If all my scouts stop auto exploring, does that mean I've got the entire galaxy explored?

Either you have explored the galaxy, or you have ran out of things in range to explore. You see this especially with Warp Bubble scouts in the early game. Click on a scout and see if its range covers the galaxy.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I had an annoying thing happen. I built 6 troop transports, very basic. Nothing but 5 troop modules and engines, more or less. Each one has 5 green infantry on them, for a total army size of 30 soldiers, about 375k strength. The ships simply refused to drop soldiers.

Fake Edit: Herp Derp, I had the ship engagement settings to that of the passenger ship I used for the template. The one that says to never invade. Watch out for that fun thing! :downs:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I tend to overkill my stations. 2 hangers, 2-4 boarding pods, 1000+ shields, 20 or so layers of armor, ion cannons, hyper deny module. I like using fighters for stations because of the range of the fighters. Get ship scanners and suddenly you are snagging up pirate smugglers at all your mining stations and starports.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Extended adds a human subspecies with the creative name of XHuman. Dumb, but their purpose is to break up the Humanoid Alliances you see in game. They and normal humans hate each other with a passion. I had a game where the Caleph saw I had a weak military, and jumped on me for it, only to be beaten back by my stations. They then begged off war, leading to us becoming defense pack allies.

And yes, ship scanners let you detect that pirates smugglers are docking :) You get a little pop up message saying they are doing so.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Boarding pods activate based on your empire policy settings. If you have it set to only snag higher tech/larger ships, you wont try and board piddly little ships that would otherwise be snagged. I'm usually set to capture everything, then disassemble for tech and resources at nearest shipyard. I dont like dealing with ships I didnt build myself and would rather get the tech boost.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Putting long range scanners on your civilian mining ships (and construction ships) are your best bet for a mobile scanning unit that you dont have to tell where to go. They will be sitting in a place for a half year or so anyway, long enough for the scanner to kick in. If you want them there longer, make cargo storage bigger. Every 3000 storage is approx. 6 months on station for optimized ore miners, 1 month for gas. A nice thing about this is miners might go places you wouldnt think to put a scanner and reveal stuff you didnt think was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Armor really is there for 2 things. Suicide frigates with pointblank and fast engines and giving your ships time to run when the shields fail. As a defense, they do not last near long enough to be of use, until you get the reactive armor and repair bots. Damage control systems do not apply to armor otherwise, they reduce the damage your soft other systems take after armor is gone. There is an option I believe in Empire settings to make your ships braver and more willing to stay in a fight, but I dont remember where it is.

• Locked thread