Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Distant Worlds is so frustrating for me. It gets so drat close to being the 4X I am looking for. The scale is good, the combat system is okay, research and economy are fine. What kills it for me is the fact that I can't improve my planets at all. I just don't get why they didn't include the ability to terraform or build up a colony (except for a few selected buildings). I get that they don't want you to micromanage the construction of every single storage shack in your giant, multi-star empire, but it just feels like there is something missing there. Such a pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I simply can not get into the mindset that selling to a broader audience somehow means you make less money. I just can't. No one is stopping them from selling for 60 bucks right after release and then droping to 30 for a steam season sale. These people literally hate money. Even if the entire process of going on steam only nets them a handful of sales, those are probably sales they would not otherwise have gotten. I think it is a fairly safe bet that the grognards will find your game wherever you may chose to put it, but the casual gamers will not, even if they might want to play - or at least buy - it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Malcolm posted:

It's a month late but what the hell I'll chime in with a Steam anecdote. I am one person that enjoys space sims and this is my story:

I bought Distant Worlds at launch, and remember how odd it was that the Matrix download site would only let me download one time. The game I just purchased. "Be sure to burn a copy to physical media!" the download page warned. I think it was $3 to download again in the future if I lost my backup installer. I never really got into Distant Worlds as the base game wasn't terribly meaty, something the expansions rectified I'm sure. I never found out firsthand because I didn't feel like shelling out high prices for each expansion from the same publisher.

I also purchased Sins of a Solar Empire from Matrix Games, and even tolerated installing a launcher just for Sins. I played it quite a bit and bought the first couple expansions when they came out. Much time passed. I grew weary of the Matrix launcher and stopped installing it on new OS builds. One day I saw that SoaSE: Rebellion was available on Steam, possibly on sale. I bought it on Steam and never looked back. Now I can play the game I like with Steam that I can tolerate. I would buy DW and all its content on Steam for about $50, there should be plenty of room there for everyone to get fat and happy.

Welcome to grognard games. They have to make them so expensive so people will play them even though the UIs are terrible. Because if you spend 70 bucks on a game, you drat well try and get some enjoyment out of it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It has been months since I played this game. Have they finally done something to make the exploitation part of the 4X gameplay more than just building mining stations everywhere and maybe colonizing a planet (and then forgetting about it because it doesn't matter)? Because that was pretty much why I stopped playing. The fact that creating a new colony feels incredibly boring and inconsequential. At some point you build a wonder or two, and that is it.

Also the lack of terraforming (the terraformer only repairs damage up to the original quality of the planet, you can never turn a volcanic planet into a terran planet).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I caved. I had the base game and two expansions already, so getting two expansions only cost about 20 bucks. Which for matrix/slitherine is basically a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Archonex posted:

Good news, you can probably fix that now! :science:

You can't :eng99:

At least I haven't found anything in the mod guide that suggests that it is possible. The whole "vastly improved modding ability" is a bit of a misnomer. You are still very restricted by what the game allows. You can add new facilities, for example, but you are restricted in what they do to what the already existing facilities do, so you are in effect restricted to up-/downgraded versions of the facilities already in game. You can't, for example, manipulate other planetary values, or assign values the base facility doesn't have (you can't create a military academy that also improves research).

The game is just not designed for mods at all, which is why they are actually called themes. It's pretty telling that the first section of the guide is about adding your custom images. It was never intended to actually mod the game in a substantial way beyond changing the appearance or create a new scenario. It is utterly incomparable to, say, a paradox game.

• Locked thread