Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
The installer for this thing includes a button to open Armchair General Magazine

I don't think they're joking

I'm used to Steel Panthers level nerdgames and I don't even know what the gently caress :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah the AI does a decent job of staying out of your way and just keeping everything you're not personally taking charge of puttering along at about parity with the other empires, the incessant popups are irritating but I don't find myself having to fight with it much at all beyond occasionally vying with private contracts for construction ship time in a boom year. Switch off research and do a manual queue so it doesn't waste time teching up dumb bullshit, designate the first couple bases for each new colony to make sure it's got basic protection, and you're pretty much good to go playing in whatever little sandbox you like, very occasionally stepping in to straighten things up the way you want them (i.e. screw everything up and make things worse), or fix stuff like explorer ships caught in a loop of running away from gribblies then jumping right back into infested system to run away again.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 1, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
So what the gently caress is the deal with silvermists? I've got a little nest of the fuckers growing on a nice patch of potential colony, fortunately on the rear end-end of the galaxy, and they eat everything I throw at them with no ill effects. Most guns do like one or two damage a shot at best, nowhere near enough to stop even the weakest ones before they munch whatever is shooting at them and regenerate. The guide and forums all mention using ion weapons, so I rig up a special-made fleet of fast ships loaded down with ion guns... which do no damage. Fleet gets eaten, nano doom cloud now that much bigger.

What the hell?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah there's no way you're going to be running more than one or two very specific things at a time when you get to the lategame and poo poo starts to look like this:

-44 is crazy. You're encroaching on your neighbors' territory too much, go colonize elsewhere or get ready to invade one of 'em and take their stuff. You won't reduce the jealousy factor except by giving up territory or letting them expand a whole lot in some other direction but you can stop it getting any bigger by not taking up any more space along their borders.

Generally I start offering free trade agreements around +20 - +40, and upgrade that to a military deal a few months later; generally unless a faction loving loves you it takes a while of stable good relations to get an MDP going. I don't think it's a strictly numerical thing since even some of of my longtime allies don't get to +50.

Missiles seem like the weakest tech to me generally, their range advantage is nothing spectacular and doesn't really counteract their weak damage, especially since the combat AI doesn't seem smart enough to really handle standoff attacks. I'm not the biggest fan of them since it's hard to tell if/when they're working but railguns can be pretty nasty, especially to someone who rolls up expecting lasers etc. I'm not sure how you make ion weapons useful, they seem to work okay for other people but do virtually nothing in any quantity on my ships.
Nothing's so terribly unbalanced that you can't make it work, and some of it's contextual (fighters are amazing if you just want to make a big murderball of ships that rolls around killing everything), and you're not playing against other humans where every advantage counts so it hardly matters, do what you feel.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 4, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
loving tell me about it, I have no idea what ~9/10 of that poo poo is. My own empire included.

Seems to just happen if you don't have colonizable worlds cranked up to max, though, for the first ~half of the game you've gotta range pretty far to find a world you can actually land on and by the last half distance is no object so the AI will just invade or colonize wherever. Pretty easy way to get hosed by the RNG too, if you don't manage to find one close in pretty short order you're just not gonna be a competitor in the lategame.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 4, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
You can crank up the trade, or better yet try to get him in a fight with the dude on the other side of his sphere of influence, but no way you should be at -44 over that.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Haha a decapitation strike on the totally-not-Shakturi-honest guys when they started getting positioned to take over the galaxy took me from maxed-out rep to Hated in one shot, I am space George Bush.

Got a sweet as gently caress new colony out the deal tho

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
AFAIK most stuff that gives you a positive to specific empire rep will also benefit your general rep, but yeah I don't know of anything that builds it up half so well as finding some pirates and kicking the poo poo out of them.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Well I'm sold

Sankis posted:

I'm amazed that this game did well enough to get three expansions. Awesome. I've still not played the first or second much despite owning them, maybe this is my chance! :v:

Uh, don't they, like, stack

If you're playing the third you're playing all three.

• Locked thread