Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
It's unfortunate that they have such a wrong-headed view of how Steam works. I'm sure there are many thousands of people out there who would take a chance on this game if only it was available on Steam for a less cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

So it's a lot like Master of Orion? Sounds good to me.

It isn't turn based, it's pausable real time like Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis. And it's a lot more complicated than MOO... takes some time to get into. But it is my favorite game of its type at the moment.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fausty posted:

I own everything except for universe.

If you own all the releases but Universe, you can buy it for $10 and receive a steam key as well. Might be worth doing?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439830&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post430032058

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

V for Vegas posted:

Good to see it's still on the top 10 sellers, pulling in $50 a pop.

I'm sure the dev is looking at the piles of cash coming in and asking Matrix "tell me again why this wasn't distributed on Steam years ago?"

They've probably made more money in the time since Steam release than they ever made previously.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Caconym posted:

http://lparchive.org/Distant-Worlds-Legends/

LP by Grey Hunter of goon grognard fame.

This one is fun, especially the bit at the end where he accidentally blows up a planet with a deathstar.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Hav posted:

Silvio Berlesconi, Is that you?

What kind of Bunga Bunga parties do Space Alien Tyrannosaurs have?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flippycunt posted:

Is there a way to keep pirates and riffraff out of my systems, or create some sort of chokepoint where I can concentrate my fleets?

I've got goddamn pirates warping around all over the place breaking stuff and my stupid fleets can barely catch up to them.

Research warp inhibitors and put them on some of your ships. That will keep the pirates from just warping away instantly when you attack them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zombie #246 posted:

Never ran into this before, pirates took over my starting starport. Any way to take it back other than holding on and teching to colonization and coming back for it later?

I know you can buy bases from empire players, but I don't know if you can do that with pirate factions... maybe check the diplomacy screen and see if they will sell it? Otherwise you'll just have to tech up to boarding pods and send in the marines.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Build a fleet armed with large numbers of nuclear devastators and nuke them until the planet is an irradiated husk.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
The publisher only just recently allowed their games to be placed on steam at all. I imagine it will be a long time before they embrace the steam deep discounting way of things, if they ever do.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Take note that nuking them can tank your relations with other empires. Exterminating the bug monsters makes you look like a bully if you do so before they reveal their true nature.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Mining ships can move and travel around, out of your control, to harvest resources which they transport to your Ports. Stations remain in orbit around what they harvest and the resources are hauled away by freighters.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
So it wasn't just me. Was very frustrating to have my Keterov veteran superspy get captured over and over on the simplest missions, reload after reload.

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of which, is there any particularly good method for locating pirate bases, other than just watching which way they flee and holding a god damned ruler up to my screen? I'd love it if my exploration ships would just constantly patrol the systems around my borders, but they won't.

You can steal their map data and then icons should appear on the map where their bases are located.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Sometimes the RNG loves you, and sometimes... well, just go look at the Distant Worlds LP that's going on right now...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Trogdos! posted:

There's a newer lp than grey hunter's? I couldn't find one, link please?

I was mostly thinking about how the pirates kicked the crap out of him in the early game. Outlook is a rosier now, but who knows what may happen yet...

Link here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573513&pagenumber=110#post430684686

you may have missed it because it is posed as the continuation of a Paradox game campaign that started as the nation of Ghana in Crusader Kings 2.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Paradox needs to go talk to the Herbert estate and get them to sign off on Crusader Kings: Dune edition.

Distant Worlds content: I wish I could choose to enslave or exterminate specific races, so I could get all these filthy bug monsters off my planets without murdering my lizard friends. It's hard being a Space Tyrant.

• Locked thread