Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just started with this game a few days ago. Taking a while to get the hang of things. What's the difference between mining ships and Mining stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Mining ships can move and travel around, out of your control, to harvest resources which they transport to your Ports. Stations remain in orbit around what they harvest and the resources are hauled away by freighters.

Awesome thanks! So Mining ships are controlled and funded by the private sector then.

I'm currently trying to micromanage which mining spots are built first, it seems since I only have 3 constructor ships and a shortage of some important resources, it's getting done very slowly. The wierd thing is is that it is getting completed at all though. I don't have a source of helium, but I need it for tons of different components. Where am I getting this helium?

In the cargo of some places, there's an empire column. What does this mean? Do I hold cargo for other empires? And why?

This brings me to my next point. Is there any god damned way I can resize windows. I can't believe they have spreadsheets whose headers are too long to fit in the table, and also not give us the ability to resize the windows to actually see what they say. I mean come-on, this is like UI design 101.

e: Also, what does this bonus income come from?

ee: So I've also found some abandoned ships. I've sent some ships there to investigate, how do I take them over?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 13, 2014

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Where does Bonus income come from? And can I not build a large space port anywhere? I noticed my homeworld has one, but I don't get the option for any colonies.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

If I set ship design to not automated, will ships designs still update components to the latest? And will I still get prompts to retrofit?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So, how does damaging components work? After getting through the shield, do armor components take damage first? Or does everything get hit now?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

If I hit auto upgrade selected ship design on ships in the list of schematics, will it automatically upgrade all parts to the newer better parts without me needing to manually go in and replace them?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Yes. However, it will not add anything new. So say you just researched Steel Armor. Any designs you hit auto upgrade on will not add steel to them. Upgrading to the 2nd tier armor, when you already have say 5 Steel Armor in the design, replaces things in a 1 to 1 ratio. So 5 Advanced Armor from 5 Steel. It also adds a Mk2 to your original name. Just hit edit after hitting auto-upgade to add components to the new design afterwords.

Not sure I get what you mean here, if I upgrade steel armor, won't that mean all previous ships that have regular armor will have it all replaced with steel?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Upgrading tech only upgrades modules if it has an ^ arrow on the tech. If it does not, it is a new module and must be retrofitted into. You see this with Adv Fission. There are 3 techs after it, that upgrade that basic module. But if you want to use Quantum Exploitation or Fusion, you need to retrofit those new modules into your designs. Ships you have already built wont have that tech until you retrofit. You can see this when you upgrade shield tech. Corvidian Shields are 100 at base, then you upgrade and you see suddenly all your ships putting on a few more shield points. Research High Capacity Shields and all your old ships floating about will still be using Corvidian.

Hitting auto upgrade doesnt add new stuff to the ships. It does look at what you have and add the newest tech to replace your older tech. Say you have researched Fission Reactors, Proton Thrusters, Direction Thrusters, and Basic Armor. You hit Auto-Upgrade. Computer then does this.

code:

Slow Explore Probe 	---Upgrade---	Slow Explore Probe Mk2
1 Ion Thruster				1 Proton Thruster	
1 Space Reactor				1 Fission Reactor
1 Command Deck				1 Command Deck
1 Maneuver Thruster			1 Directional Thruster
1 Small Fuel Cell			1 Small Fuel Cell
1 Habitat				1 Habitat
1 Life Support				1 Life Support
1 Resource Profile Sensor		1 Resource Profile Sensor

It did not add armor to the design, because the original design did not have armor. The computer does not know how much armor you want to use, but you did tell it "Make this same ship, with the best tech" However, this is at times the wrong thing to do, as just hitting upgrade on that ship there made the ship bigger, making it harder for those engines to get it to same speed, for added cost. I typically get my civie ships to a level I'm comfortable with and leave them there, while my military gets the best tech. This has the added benefit of keeping my civie fleet cheaper and easier to build resource wise.

That helps, thanks!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So what determines Total research capacity? I'm assuming total output it just the total of all bases with labs?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So many questions :S. How can I tell a colony's maximum population?

e: Also, is there any way to increase repair speed from construction ships to abandoned ship wrecks?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 20, 2014

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Alright, I'll look into that. If all my scouts stop auto exploring, does that mean I've got the entire galaxy explored?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Either you have explored the galaxy, or you have ran out of things in range to explore. You see this especially with Warp Bubble scouts in the early game. Click on a scout and see if its range covers the galaxy.

It's hard to tell, I've gathered a lot of maps from mutual defense pacts and map swaps. So it looks like I have everything explored. How can I easily tell if I have missed a system to explore.

Also I'm assuming that the Shakturi get revealed eventually with each hidden anomaly I find. But if other empires have found them first, and I get their map (meaning all their stuff counts as explored), do I miss out on finding them forever?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

When do your ships decide to use their boarding modules to assault? Do I have to manually tell them?

Also, In the ship designer, What do the different types of image scales do? Do they just cosmetically change the size of your ships? Or is there a benefit/downside? I'm gussing absolute scales images based off the actual size of the ship? (I find it really odd that absolute isn't the default, I sometimes see really small looking cruisers, or very large frigates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

What exactly do special forces do? And does it happen automatically when you land your troops?

• Locked thread