Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Demiurge4 posted:

I've messed around with the normal empire in age of shadows start and it's fairly interesting. You begin with a single planet with only 3bil population and no techs, you begin by building a small spaceport and some slowboating exploration ships and find the two ruins in your system, one of them will unlock ftl research. The first is a warp bubble and it's pretty slow (speed 2000 vs 15000 for a regular ftl drive) and uses twice as much energy as a normal drive so your range is also low. This basically means you're confined to your home system and maybe one or two neighbouring systems.

This post sold me on getting back into DW and the new expac. This is basically the start I always used to set up for myself, because I decommission everything and deleted all designs and started from scratch inasmuch as I was able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

HiKaizer posted:

There is a thread for Stardrive, albeit now locked, which has a meltdown in it so if you want to know more check the last few pages of that. I would like more of the hints and stories, I'm still struggling to get the hang of this so reading other people's experiences helps me.

poo poo I need to track that down, I wondered where that thread had gone and my feelings towards StarDrive are more generous than most goons' seem to be. I'm very saddened if he did indeed turn out to be the douche some people predicted :(

e; found it! You guys are right. Why does every sci-fi 4X gently caress up or have Matrix pricing?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lprsti99 posted:

Star Ruler 2 looks fantastic so far, and the devs (or at least Firgof) are demonstrably nice dudes, and SR1 was reasonably priced!

True, SR1 was good times and the thread for 2 does look very promising, so we might have something there!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

This is about as good a price as we're likely to see for this game so if you're looking for a 4X get it right now. It's not perfect but it's just about as good as the genre gets.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ramadu posted:

So why isn't this game on steam if they stand to make millions on it? Is it some weird no drm ever philosophy even though most people are ok with steam now?

Matrix Games are insane people who actually hate money is why.

DW is a superb 4x, probably the best of recent times, and one of the best ever. It's STILL pricey even on sale but if this genre is your thing you won't regret it for a moment and even if it's not I'd be surprised if this didn't convert you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

V for Vegas posted:

A bunch of ridiculous bullshit

Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the writeup though, it's very helpful!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's managed to claw itself into the top 10 on Steam. Being above DaS 2, Transistor, and DayZ is pretty damned impressive. Although I don't know exactly how Steam counts things bought elsewhere, so maybe all of us just upgrading to Universe have played a role there? Still not a bad showing and hopefully it'll boost sales further.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Another quick question, I saw it mentioned recently but now can't find it that there's an upper limit to how many mining components are effective on a ship or station. Is this correct and if so, what is the number? I always build fuckoff gigantic mining facilities and I'd hate to think I'm wasting resources.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shyrka posted:

4 for gas/mineral miners and you only ever need 1 luxury miner. Be sure to put lots of storage on it to cover a long while between freighter runs or it just goes to waste though.

Well gently caress me. Thanks for that, now I can build mining stuff about 1/5 the size of before :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Was playing a new game earlier tonight and I had a pirate faction cancel our protection agreement about a week after we signed it. I thought "oh boy here we go" but another week later they asked for protection money again... at 1/3 the price we had previous agreed upon :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

What does the number after planet and star types mean, e.g. "Desert planet 29.4k" or "Main sequence star 99.1k"? Is it something to do with resource quantity?

That's just size, if the planet is habitable it'll affect your maximum population but other than that I don't know if it has any effect.

e;

Zombie #246 posted:

There were 2-3 guys who would argue on the original forums for this game about how more exposure for this game was an awful thing, and how steamtards couldn't handle a complex 4x game lol.

I say this as a huge goony grognard: Grognards are loving weird and often super insecure about our tiny little niches.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lprsti99 posted:

This series of videos is pretty great. It's for an older version, but it's still good information. Basically the guy is playing the game like everyone says not to, with a minimum of automation. He gives very helpful explanations for why he does things and what other things do though.

Yeah Larry Monte's videos are great for learning the ropes. He also recommends his friend Das24680 who does some tutorial videos too; I've not watched much of Das but he seems to know what he's doing. Larry Monte can't seem to help giving loads of information in his videos, even when he tries to do a non-tut LP. He also has a wonderfully stereotypical Canadian accent. :canada:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Westminster System posted:

The main issue is "your colonies/bases trespass on our systems" is a huge-cockblock to diplomacy. I messed with the biases a little to setup certain conflicts using the editor - but given that the basis isnt set up for peaceful coexistence in general it is kind of okay. Earth as I expected is dominant, but closely followed by Mars. The rest are kind of.. sucky, but that might be fixable by messing with the population stats and what have you.

I once had a game where me and an alien race spawned in the same system. We hated each other from the get-go because we both considered the system "ours" and the other assholes to be interloping squatters.

quote:

The real issue is how when unified, the Sol system would be kind of ridiculous, nearly every planet has 5 resources (granted, lots of multiples) and with all the colonizable planets/moons (fudged as alien-super tech terraforming in the past) all above 50% quality it'd probably be too much. Then again, research is set to expensive and no-one can discover warp-bubbles without manual editor enabling of the tech or me placing ruins to grant them on each Homeworld. Which I might do.

When I saw your post about it was I gonna say, Sol's gonna end up completely insane when someone wins out and unifies it. You have nineteen worlds there. :allears:

e; I do really wish this game had terraforming or something. All those low-quality worlds sitting around just bugs me so much.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Trundel posted:

Yeah I had no idea that researching Ocean colonization would increase the productivity of my Marsh planets until the game gave me a popup.

I felt a little bad in my game today by advancing my colonization tech way ahead of everyone else by repeatedly stealing from the Ancient Guardians. There really seemed to be no downside as my spy was getting a 90% success rate on everything, and it let me brute force my tech tree every three months. Aside from the spy getting caught is there any downside to doing this, because it seems really really strong.

None whatsoever outside of getting caught and losing your spy/getting them pissed at you. Your spy can, despite being a space t-rex or a giant sociopathic spider or something, infiltrate an entirely mechanized society of ancient machines and steal away. I refrain from doing this because it's so ridiculously overpowered. I wish you could either prevent techs being stolen or flag a particular race as espionage immune. Although thinking about it those might be possible with the new modding tools.

I was thinking about terraforming options, I feel like the one area DW is let down is that the civilian and hi-tech stuff just never really feels as powerful and important as it should. I can build stuff to blow up planets, but I can't improve some shithole 28% planet up to something more habitable? I know it would be overpowered so I would suggest making it a very slow and expensive process, but a planetary structure that improves a colony world's quality would be great. It'd be tricky to find the right balance between fast enough to be useful but not so fast as to be overpowered.

Alternatively take ideas from Space Empires and Star Ruler and let you blow up and rebuilt suns and planets, abduct planets (Not abducting the population of a planet: literally strapping giant boosters to a world and flying it to another solar system), and build ringworlds and dyson spheres. I want to reshape this galaxy!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 4, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kjoery posted:

Does adding more manufacturing ("HighTech Plants", etc) increase the repair rate of construction ships? It feels like repairing the abandoned ships takes forever.

In a similar vein does adding more construction yards help construction ships work faster?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Flippycunt posted:

Cool, we'll unite and gently caress up the universe, right? Nope, they both hate me for being in their turf so I had to exterminate them both.

bugs.txt

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I think the simple expedient of a visual aspect to ship design would help make it 300% more fun. Something like Star Ruler or Space Empires V. It's a small thing and yet the process of actually plonking down your components instead of making a list of parts from another list would be a big change, I think,

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

In the early game I'm similar, but I keep one construction ship off automation so I can build high-priority military installations without having to worry about when Buttsville Mining Station 3% Lead 6% Steel will be completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I've been playing the Picard-era Trek mod the last day or two and it's a lot of fun. I was almost caught out because in game terminology 'Assimilate' means being nice to conquered aliens and incorporating them gradually into your empire, which is not what the Borg do. I'm just exterminating and replacing aliens instead, it's good enough for me.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 9, 2014

• Locked thread