Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FredMSloniker posted:

That all sounds really good! I got interested in the game in the first place from the Space Game Junkie's coverage, particularly him talking about a game where he essentially RPed as a leader, starting with only controlling a single ship, then widening his view bit by bit. And I'm more than okay with delegating.

It's not quite what I was asking, though. I'm looking more for player tales. You guys are playing the game, right? What kind of fun stuff's been happening in your games?

This isn't from Shadows - I was playing Legends at the time.

Normally I play as a benevolent leader with a huge land grab early game transitioning into peace enforced via a gently caress off fleet large enough to deter people from declaring war on me. Trade boom, science prospers, and I outeco everyone. Simple, easy, works against the AI, and is a lot of fun.

This game, however, I decided to start declaring war. I built up a huge empire, swapped to a war-oriented government, became reviled for my actions of bombing out planetary populations to speed up invasions, and my people started rebelling when troops weren't in place on planets. This meant that I started cracking down even harder on planetary populations and installing more and more troops while getting increasingly frustrated with the temerity of the people rebelling against my benevolent rule. After all, my planets were absurdly better places to live than anyone else's, with a much better economy and access to a wide variety of trade goods.

Eventually all of this cracking down on planetary populations led to the inevitable. My empire was wracked by a bloody civil war where half of my fleets and planets defected and I had to brutally reintegrate them over the course of several years. I even finished the desolation moon (death star) and annihilated a planet or two to make a point.

I paused the game, looked back, and realized that I had essentially just reenacted Star Wars if the Empire had won. However, I did so organically, and in a way that proceeded from trying to be benevolent and improve the lives of everyone in the galaxy to becoming a galactic tyrant that oppressed everyone in the name of progress. It was an incredibly fun game. Do note that I screwed up a few things when I tried to keep my people happy and that lead to most of the unrest that lead to the civil war; being a warmonger doesn't inevitably cause your empire to fracture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

There is a thread for Stardrive, albeit now locked, which has a meltdown in it so if you want to know more check the last few pages of that. I would like more of the hints and stories, I'm still struggling to get the hang of this so reading other people's experiences helps me.

If you want an easymode sort of playthrough, try playing the Gizureans (bugs that grow super absurdly ridiculously fast). Spam colony ships as much as you can once your empire is established, and make sure to tax new colonies as little as possible to promote population growth. You'll quickly end up with large numbers of max population planets and have an absurd economy. The trick with Gizureans is that while they don't really have any advantages other than population growth, everything you care about, from tax income to trade, to industrial output, to research capacity is determined by population. Combine the Gizurean's high base rate of reproduction with a leader who gets bonuses to growth rate and never gets replaced (so her bonus will increase and keep increasing the longer the game goes and and the longer she lives) and you get tons of people.

Research is also a bit tricky - what I like to do at the beginning of the game is design new research starbases that have an even balance of all three tech tree labs inside of them. I build three in my home system at an arbitrary and relatively defensible point and make sure that all future research station designs have balanced labs. If you favor one tree over the others, feel free to mix up the balance of labs in your stations. I also like to centralize all of my scientists into my home starport. You get a slightly smaller bonus than if you centralized them in a station that had a bonus, but it's a lot easier to defend your homeworld station than it is to defend a station on the periphery.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is it possible to succeed in this game (and by succeed I mean "not get destroyed") if you want to play as a minor intergalactic power? I know the draw is always to be a huge monolithic empire, but I've always enjoyed playing as small and efficient states - the Luxembourg of the stars, if you will!

Arguably this is much more doable in Distant Worlds than in most other games due to the way research works. Instead of growing 1:1 as your empire grows, the research cap growth is more logarithmic, which means that an empire that's twice as big as you isn't necessarily doing twice as much research. This also means that bonuses to research are essential, as they will rocket you ahead of the competition if leveraged properly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

That question has been asked a billion times on the Matrix forums and the official answer is always that they evaluated all the options and don't think they can gain anything from publishing on Steam.

I'm not quite sure I understand how. I mean, yeah, you make a hell of a lot less per sale on Steam, but at the same time, you get actual marketing beyond word of mouth. Hell, the only reason I know about Distant Worlds is from reading a let's play from here, and all of my friends who enjoy 4x games only know about it through me.

Hopefully Dominions 3/4 being on Steam will give other niche developers an incentive to put their games on Steam as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention this, even after the patch change the happiness rating really effects population growth significantly.

For example with a starter Human planet:

2466M population starting
0% Taxes = +20 Happiness = 14% Growth = 2802M Population after 1 year
25% Taxes = +3 Happiness = 3% Growth = 2553M Population after 1 year

You can take a guess as to the effect of this over a long period of time.

It's not exactly a linear effect though, one planet I have, for example:

0% Taxes = +51 Happiness = 15% Growth
5% Taxes = +47 Happiness = 13% Growth
10% Taxes = +43 Happiness = 11% Growth
15% Taxes = +39 Happiness = 10% Growth
20% Taxes = +35 Happiness = 6% Growth
25% Taxes = +30 Happiness = 4% Growth
50% Taxes = +7 Happiness = 3% Growth
60% Taxes = -2 Happiness = 3% Growth

So there's a very obvious sharp bump there once you get to 15% or below. I'm not clear if that's entirely based around the Tax Rate or if the Happiness factors in as well, amplifying the effect of low taxes. Either way, low taxes = big population growth. If a planet is full, tax those bastards.

Is there some sort of mod or automated setting that will handle this crap for me? I really don't fancy having to go through every planet to check if they're maxed out so that I can turn on taxes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's funny, the only thing that stops me from really enjoying this game is, ironically, the ship design system. I like having a lot of choices, but it's a pain in the rear end to set up all of my ships, upgrade them as tech comes online, and deal with the foibles of optimized mining stations and the like.

Honestly I would much prefer this game if ship design were more like Sword of the Stars where I could just load components into slots instead of having to design everything from the ground up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Archonex posted:

You can just let the game handle that and create specialized ships where needed. That's how you should be doing it anyways. The game is fully capable of handling ship design on its own. Trying to handle ship design yourself is an exercise in futility given how efficient it is at making ships to fulfill your baseline needs.

I've done that before. It's just a shame because there's so much potential with ship design, and making your own ships in 4x space games is always fun, but there's just so much tedious bookkeeping with ship design in Distant Worlds that it isn't worth it. I know you can automate what type of ships you want (adjust weapon ratios, engine ratios, quantity of armor, etc.), but there's nothing quite like making your own spaceships and watching how they perform.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nektu posted:

How do you do that?

In the empire policy menu - there's a section about your ship designs that ask you what you want to prioritize on your ships that the AI designs. It's buried in all of the other automation options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

If I thought Galactic Civilizations 2 was dull and boring should I just leave this thread and not consider buying this game?

What this game does beautifully is automate the crap out of things. For small empires you can micromanage things to your heart's content, and then when things get too large to handle, you just pawn them off onto the computer. It really helps to alleviate the tedium of mid-lategame that develops in most 4x games once things get too large to handle quickly and easily.

• Locked thread